The monkeys are up to something...

Main Menu

Question About Chords

Started by Dekudude, July 16, 2008, 02:45:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dekudude

Hi there!

I have a question about chords...

I know how to find Major and Minor chords. (For major, start on the note of the chord (such as C) and then move up 4 keys, including blacks, and then move up three. Voila, C major).

How do you find all of the others? Diminished, Augmented, 7th, Sustained, et cetera? I tried finding examples, but couldn't figure out an easy way to find them all. Thanks in advance!

ZeldaFan

Well, i can help with diminished and augmented.

Diminished: start on i.e. C, go up 4, then go up 4 again. It would be C, Eb, Gb
Augmented: start on C, go up 5, then 5 again. It would be C, E, G#

The chords keep their same notes all the time, so C Major would always be CEG, just flat'd and sharp'd

Please follow me and my art on Instagram @inspi.red.art :D

Dekudude

The augmented, up 5 + 5, would be C F A#

ZeldaFan

sorry, augmented also includes black and white keys. C to E is 5, E to G# is 5

"More specifically, the augmented chord is the triad consisting of a major third and augmented fifth above the root â€" if the root is C, the augmented chord consists of the notes C, E and G#. It can also be thought of as two major thirds stacked on top of one another, and thus resembles a major chord with a raised fifth. " Wikipedia

Hope this helps  :)

Jamaha

Quote from: DaveyTheRebel on July 17, 2008, 10:00:59 PMwww.google.com

There's no point in replying if you don't have anything constructive to say.

Davey

Dekudude

You're a double hypocrite. ;D

ZeldaFan-- So basically, it's a chord, but the last note in the chord is pushed up a half step? So an A minor would be A, E, F, and a C minor would be C, Eb, G#?

ZeldaFan

Right.

I should've said that in the first place...  :D

megaman64

(?? a minor?? isnt that A C E  and C minor C Eb G)? diminished is written as Xdim or sometimes X(with a minus sign/hyphen in the superscript) and augmented chord symbols are Xaug or X+

well as for 7th Chords (ie. X7 where X is amount of black mana spent...jk the chord name) is just a major triad with the seventh note of the root scale but, it is lowered one half-step eg. a D7 chord in root position would be a D F# A C (natural despite being sharp in the key of d major)

and for sustained chords the third of the scale is "replaced" or "raised" so the fourth is played instead...this chord is usually used for a leading into a final chord .... it is written Xsus4 or sometimes just Xsus... eg.  Dsus4 or Dsus would be D G A D  .....u hear this chord then in most music it would go to the root chord (eg. D F# A D)

Parker2334

THESE BIG RED LETTERS HELP ME FIND MY POST.

Dekudude

So:

Sustainted - 3rd raised to 4th.
7th - 7th lowered to 6th.

Correct?

megaman64

sustained yes but

7th chords depend on major or dominant

in the DM7 (major seventh) case, the octave of the root is "replaced" with the seventh (leading tone) eg. D - F# - A - C#
and
in the D7 (dominant 7) case, the octave of the root is "replaced" with the seventh, then lowered a half step. same as lowering a M7 chord's 7 eg. D - F# - A - C
the six chords are usually inverted root positions of other chords
for example a C6 sounds like Am but with a c root (C - E - A - C) the fifth is "replaced" with the sixth (no G)