The NSM Guess-That-Melody Quiz!

Started by LeviR.star, March 17, 2017, 08:47:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mastersuperfan

Quote from: SlowPokemon on April 05, 2017, 09:55:11 PM"3 of 5 were obscure" I think 5 of 5 were obscure

3 and 5 were obscure and 2 were tricks
Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on February 11, 2016, 03:00:36 PMthere's also a huge difference in quality between 2000 songs and 2010 songs
Quote from: Latios212 on February 11, 2016, 03:29:24 PMThe difference between 2000 songs and 2010 songs is 10 songs.

Dudeman

Signs your melody-recognition-game submission wasn't made with the players in mind:
Quote from: Dekkadeci on April 05, 2017, 09:38:56 PMThis was one of the melodies I expected fewer people to get,
[...]
Careful when spelling the name of this piece--"ST10: Roll Out, Wonderful 101!" is a different song entirely.
[...]
To be fair, I did extract the high (counter?-)melody as Melody 2, so you might not have thought this was the true melody of this piece at that point.
[...]
Yup, I purposefully picked this melody to mislead you into picking the wrong song.
[...]
Here's the melody where I still suspect I'm the only user on this forum to have ever played its game.
[...]
Then again, I picked a section with an unintuitive harmonization, so that probably confused people.
Always keep in mind that this is intended to be a game. Games are meant to be fun. If you're designing the game so that nobody is likely to win, you're missing the point. The game-maker should never be the winner. In this case, if anyone played this game to win, it was Dekka.
Quote from: braixen1264 on December 03, 2015, 03:52:29 PMDudeman's facial hair is number 1 in my book

Dekkadeci

Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on April 05, 2017, 09:48:28 PM"Lol I purposely made this impossible, y'all suck"

Quote from: Latios212 on April 05, 2017, 09:42:48 PM>___> can we not make this game into an obscure-a-thon

Not that it's bad to make it difficult but if no one can get any of the melodies, or if they're just tricks, then it's no fun for anyone

Seems like I seriously overestimated the popularity of Bravely Second and how much the Super Smash Bros. games would have increased The Wonderful 101's exposure, then. I'm still very surprised nobody got Melody 2 correct or even made a guess for it, as Final Fantasy VII's boss theme is one of its most famous themes (YouTube results for remixes of it fill up at least two pages' worth of unique content), and Final Fantasy VII has produced plenty of immortal tunes such as "One-Winged Angel", "J-E-N-O-V-A", and its regular battle theme. I thought the least obscure song in THC's quiz (for example) was significantly more obscure than the least obscure song in mine, and I thought that Melody 3 would encourage people to guess (and guess again once I PM back that they're currently incorrect but they're on the right track).

Latios212

A bit of advice since this is something I know a bit about...

When designing a trivia-type game it's important to keep your audience in mind. The job of the writer is to strike a balance between "oh man, this is way too easy" and "I have literally no clue, this is impossible".

Designing a good set is difficult, but it's too easy to fall into the trap of making the answers exclusive only to a certain group of people with some certain knowledge. It's important to be mindful of that. If the indicator of getting it correct is "has this person played this game?", then you're doing it wrong. The ideal melody would be recognizable but not easily identifiable.
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

mastersuperfan

Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on February 11, 2016, 03:00:36 PMthere's also a huge difference in quality between 2000 songs and 2010 songs
Quote from: Latios212 on February 11, 2016, 03:29:24 PMThe difference between 2000 songs and 2010 songs is 10 songs.

Dudeman

Quote from: mastersuperfan on April 05, 2017, 10:05:06 PMI recognize all but #4 for Latios'.
I concede to you, friend, unless I can recognize the two that are familiar-sounding and tie your score.

Incidentally, I happen to know #4.
Quote from: braixen1264 on December 03, 2015, 03:52:29 PMDudeman's facial hair is number 1 in my book

WaluigiTime64

Quote from: mastersuperfan on April 05, 2017, 10:05:06 PMI recognize all but #4 for Latios'.
The only one somewhat familiar is #4. I don't actually know what it is, but it's familiar.
My Arrangements (All Outdated)
My Compositions (All Outdated)
Quote from: WaluigiTime64I strive for second place and I will fight for the position.

LeviR.star

Quote from: Dekkadeci on April 05, 2017, 09:38:56 PMHere are the answers to my Guess-the-Song quiz, with YouTube links in the song titles:

Welp, missed my chance to guess again...
Check out my Youtube channel for remixes and original music! LeviR.star's Remixes

Also check out my piano arrangements here on my PA thread! LeviR.star's Arrangements

ThatHiddenCharacter

Quote from: Dudeman on April 05, 2017, 10:17:00 PMIncidentally, I happen to know #4.
Same. It's the only one I recognize, so I hope that the others are all Pokémon or something. I would be mad if I missed a Zelda or Kirby song (again).
Discord server (We have continental breakfast): https://discord.gg/ZuFJBF4

Jointers Discord server (We have continental music):
https://discord.gg/ehHWckpTzn

Ko-fi page (I have continental continents):
https://ko-fi.com/thathiddencharacter

Dekkadeci

I'll PM tonight, but ironically compared to the rest of you so far, the only one I recognize is #1.

LuxraySpiral

Wow this is a change, I actually recognise half the songs ^^ (Though, I can't quite pinpoint what #1 is)
Quote from: LuxraySpiral on March 20, 2017, 07:37:23 AM
(Also, I might try to concrete my position as the parentheses guy)
Quote from: ThatHiddenCharacter on March 20, 2017, 08:18:57 AM
(Sorry, (but (that (role (is (already (taken.)))))))

mikey

Spoiler
three of them are pokemon and pokemon spinoffs
[close]
unmotivated

mastersuperfan

How do so many people know #4

What am I missing D:

ThatHiddenCharacter

Discord server (We have continental breakfast): https://discord.gg/ZuFJBF4

Jointers Discord server (We have continental music):
https://discord.gg/ehHWckpTzn

Ko-fi page (I have continental continents):
https://ko-fi.com/thathiddencharacter

Zeila

I don't know #4 either. #1 and #2 sound familiar, but #3 is the only one I know for sure