[NES] Zelda II: The Adventure of Link - "Zelda's Awakening" by E. Gadd Industries & Retropardies

Started by Zeta, February 23, 2017, 04:48:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeta

Submission Information:

Series: The Legend of Zelda
Game: Zelda II: The Adventure of Link
Console: Nintendo Entertainment System
Title: Zelda's Awakening
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arrangers: E. Gadd Industries & Retropardies

[attachment deleted by admin]

E. Gadd Industries

I actually forgot to add someone for collab. Will do ASAP, and add to PAT ASAP.

EDIT: I added them. Heads-up, their profile name here & the way they spelled it on the sheet are two different ways, and idk what's up with that. This person contacted me and basically said "Hey, you're good at arranging, so I want to help you out." And they gave me 3 files. I'm looking over all of them, and they way I took it, they were wanting me to just submit these sheets as my own self, but I insisted on them being collabs. I don't expect them to be active in the acceptance process, but they sent me the files originally.

So that's that.
"Everyone is crazy but me"
-The Sign Painter

Mfw I help an Italian plumber fall into the abyss while he was shouting something about red coins

[close]

mikey

unmotivated

E. Gadd Industries

-The Sign Painter

Mfw I help an Italian plumber fall into the abyss while he was shouting something about red coins

[close]

Zeila

I have a some comments:

- Personally, I'd space out the text/system a bit. I'd also raise the dynamic marking a little bit higher too. Both are optional
- The game name is slightly incorrect. Instead of a dash it should be a colon
- Since you put your name first when submitting it, maybe you should reflect that order in the sheet itself (I'm not sure if this even matters)
- The copyright info placement is slightly off (looks too close to the margin/end of page/whatever). I think the default placement for the vertical position with respect to the bottom (footer) is -0.125 (you can edit that in the frame attributes). Idk if this matters either, but I just wanted to point it out
- You could put the bottom notes in the RH in a separate layer in order to distinguish it from the top one. Since the note lengths are the same and the song is short, idk if it would just make it unnecessarily complicated
- You have staccato'd notes tied to other staccato'd notes. Both cases are weird and you would be better off leaving the tie as well as getting rid of the notes they're tied to. Maybe you can standardize all of the LH notes and make them all eighth notes with staccatos
- This is just a suggestion, but if there are any other short songs, maybe you can arrange and combine them into a singular sheet
- Good job :3

E. Gadd Industries

Here's what I did:
-Moved the system down to allow for more room at the top for all the info.
-Expanded the distance between the staves to 1.2"
-Moved the "Composed/Arranged by" block down a lil bit
-Shifted the dynamic to the middle of the system

Quote from: Zeila on February 23, 2017, 04:22:22 PM- The game name is slightly incorrect. Instead of a dash it should be a colon
I don't play LoZ games X'D But
How do I go about fixing that (on the sheet, it uses a dash, but on the preset games list thing, it's the colon)?

Quote from: Zeila on February 23, 2017, 04:22:22 PM- Since you put your name first when submitting it, maybe you should reflect that order in the sheet itself (I'm not sure if this even matters)
Ummmm... I just added my name to theirs, but I went ahead and reversed it. It shouldn't matter all that much (I'd like to think, at least)

-Fixed the copyright thing

Quote from: Zeila on February 23, 2017, 04:22:22 PM- You could put the bottom notes in the RH in a separate layer in order to distinguish it from the top one. Since the note lengths are the same and the song is short, idk if it would just make it unnecessarily complicated
I entertained the thought, but given that the sheet is just 2 measures, I don't think it would be worthwhile.

Quote from: Zeila on February 23, 2017, 04:22:22 PM- You have staccato'd notes tied to other staccato'd notes. Both cases are weird and you would be better off leaving the tie as well as getting rid of the notes they're tied to. Maybe you can standardize all of the LH notes and make them all eighth notes with staccatos
Yeahhhh I didn't know what problems this point was going to cause. I tried to look up ties with staccatos, and the images I kept finding were staccatos on both ends of the tie. The only reason I have it is to show each beat in the measure. Is there a more conventional way to go about doing this? I'm not sure I follow "make them all eighth notes with staccatos".  You're meaning just have 3 eighth notes in each measure, no staccatos on them? (I went ahead and did this in the file, but this can easily be fixed if you were meaning something else)

Quote from: Zeila on February 23, 2017, 04:22:22 PM- This is just a suggestion, but if there are any other short songs, maybe you can arrange and combine them into a singular sheet
I'm not that familiar with the game, else I would. Like I said, I was just handed this sheet, along with 2 others, and asked to submit them as my own.

Quote from: Zeila on February 23, 2017, 04:22:22 PM- Good job :3
Thank you! (On mine and Retroparadies' behalves)
-The Sign Painter

[close]

Zeila

Quote from: E. Gadd Industries on February 23, 2017, 07:38:51 PMI don't play LoZ games X'D But
How do I go about fixing that (on the sheet, it uses a dash, but on the preset games list thing, it's the colon)?
To be more clear, just change the game name in the sheet to "Zelda II: The Adventure of Link"

Quote from: E. Gadd Industries on February 23, 2017, 07:38:51 PMYeahhhh I didn't know what problems this point was going to cause. I tried to look up ties with staccatos, and the images I kept finding were staccatos on both ends of the tie. The only reason I have it is to show each beat in the measure. Is there a more conventional way to go about doing this? I'm not sure I follow "make them all eighth notes with staccatos".  You're meaning just have 3 eighth notes in each measure, no staccatos on them? (I went ahead and did this in the file, but this can easily be fixed if you were meaning something else)
I meant what you currently have and staccatos on all of the (LH) notes. But if you feel that staccatos aren't needed or necessary then that's fine too

Quote from: E. Gadd Industries on February 23, 2017, 07:38:51 PMThank you! (On mine and Retroparadies' behalves)
Np!

E. Gadd Industries

Quote from: Zeila on February 23, 2017, 07:59:21 PMTo be more clear, just change the game name in the sheet to "Zelda II: The Adventure of Link"
I meant what you currently have and staccatos on all of the (LH) notes. But if you feel that staccatos aren't needed or necessary then that's fine too
Np!
-So either way is acceptable?
-Eh, I think they're fine the way they are. They get the point across. Overextended staccato pun

EDIT: WAIT, IVE BEEN MISINTERPRETING THE GAME NAME COMMENT
IT ALL MAKES SENSE NOW
EDIT 2: ILL FIX IT IN THE MORNING
-The Sign Painter

[close]

Zeila

Quote from: E. Gadd Industries on February 23, 2017, 08:02:07 PM-So either way is acceptable?
If this was also in response to the staccato thing, then sure. But if you were talking about the game name, then the dash isn't acceptable (or, I don't think so). The game name on the sheet should reflect how it's like on site (sry if I misunderstood what you were saying, or if I was unclear before)

E. Gadd Industries

Whoop, I forgot to say that I fixed that other thing! Files are fully updated now!
-The Sign Painter

[close]

Maelstrom

A few quick things and it's good to go!
LH: It should really be an octave higher to match the original.
RH: Please, please seperate the 2 voices into different layers. It may look more complicated, but it is so much easier to sight-read and understand which parts are what.
RH m1 b1 - Those first two notes are the same as the 2nd measure: D and E.

Maybe move the initial dynamic down a tad?

Bespinben

This sentence rustled my jimmies.
Quote from: E. Gadd Industries on February 23, 2017, 07:38:51 PMgiven that the sheet is just 2 measures, I don't think it would be worthwhile.

Sure we can separate into layers, but that only fixes a cosmetic issue:

The underlying issue isn't notation; it's the amount of finger gymnastics that, while completely doable, don't match up at all with the mood of the piece. Good notation is a natural by-product well-honed arranging principles. Consider having the left hand play the entirety of the accompaniment:

This is better, but not best, because, while there is less mental strain compared having 2 layers in the RH, it still requires unseemly leaps in the LH that contradict the mood of the piece. It's Zelda's Awakening, not Zelda's Quickening. Cast off the hard-line notions of the cult of transcription, and we can make a much more truly accurate, pianistically idiomatic piano arrangement by moving the octave of the bass up an octave, and applying pedal.

Now that we've arrived at a satisfactorily idiomatic accompaniment, we can now review our choices in notation. One notational anomaly that comes as a result of our arranging choices is that which I have highlighted in the previous picture in a red circle. To rectify this, one route would be to use 8/8 time (i.e. 2 compound beats and 1 simple beat [i.e. 3 + 3 + 2]), as this will allow the beaming to not overlap with the bass layer, and make the contour and phrasing of the accompaniment more visually distinct. Note: Bystanders, please spare me the gospel of syncopation. I'm very well aware of NSM's historic aversion towards mixed meter time signatures.

Beautiful.

If you're still feeling adventurous, you can still play with the octave registration further. Moving both hands down an octave yields a very warm tone, while moving only the RH up 1 octave makes for a very intimate, but exposed sound. I'd also be inclined to write an oh-so-cheesy cadence (Ebmaj7 > Db7 > C lyd), but that's only if you want brownie points.
Quote from: Nebbles on July 04, 2015, 12:05:12 PM
Someone beat Bespinben to making PMD music?! GASP!

MLF for Chatroom Mod next Tuesday

E. Gadd Industries

Whoa! Lotsa stuffs!
-I moved ze dynamic down to the center of the system
-I fixed the spelling discrepancies between the name of Retroparadies v. Retropardies
-I added pedal markings
-<look at Ben's last pic>
-Moved the notes in m1 RH b1 to match that of m2 RH b2

Quote from: Bespinben on February 26, 2017, 12:58:01 AMIf you're still feeling adventurous, you can still play with the octave registration further. [M]oving only the RH up 1 octave makes for a very intimate, but exposed sound.
This. I like this lots. It makes it sound very Super Mario Galaxy-ish (again, I don't play Zelda, so I don't know what to compare it to in the franchise)
In other words, I moved the RH up an octave.

Thanks for all ze help!
-The Sign Painter

[close]

E. Gadd Industries

Bump.

Also, the entire bottom portion of the forums, from (whatever's below Sony) down, isn't working for me. At all.

In addition, I can't zoom in. All this is on mobile, btw.
-The Sign Painter

[close]

E. Gadd Industries

-The Sign Painter

[close]