News:

Iron gates are a thing of the past! Now, you can access your yard with the all-new NinSheetMusic-brand Teleportation Technology!

Main Menu

[SNES] EarthBound - "Paula's Theme" (Replacement) by Yug Guy

Started by Zeta, January 25, 2017, 08:25:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeta

Submission Information:

Series: EarthBound
Game: EarthBound
Console: Super Nintendo Entertainment System
Title: Paula's Theme
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: Yug Guy

Replacement Information:

Links to Existing Sheet: MUS | MIDI | PDF
Replacement Type: Challenge (new arranger)

[attachment deleted by admin]

Yug_Guy

The name of this song needs to be changed to "Paula's Theme"

Static

As far as a transcription goes, this is pretty much perfect. However, I don't quite agree with some of the arrangement choices...

Mainly, in bars 9-16, the low chords sound really muddy. I'd recommend moving the melody line an octave higher, keeping the bassline where it is, and then maybe placing the chords somewhere up in the RH instead. The chords should have some room to breathe and be heard more clearly.

Also, in the 2nd layer in bars 1-8, you might want to make each of those pairs of repeated 8ths a quarter in order to highlight the melody a bit more. In the original, they sound like quarter notes, even if they are a bit echoy.

Yug_Guy

Quote from: Static on January 31, 2017, 06:10:46 PMIn the 2nd layer in bars 1-8, you might want to make each of those pairs of repeated 8ths a quarter in order to highlight the melody a bit more. In the original, they sound like quarter notes, even if they are a bit echoy.
Fixed.

Quote from: Static on January 31, 2017, 06:10:46 PMMainly, in bars 9-16, the low chords sound really muddy. I'd recommend moving the melody line an octave higher, keeping the bassline where it is, and then maybe placing the chords somewhere up in the RH instead. The chords should have some room to breathe and be heard more clearly.
While I did end up moving the melody up an octave, I had a bit of trouble figuring out where to put the chords in the R.H.  In the end, I'm happy with where I put them, but I'd like a second opinion just to be sure.

Thank you!

daj

The one thing I don't really enjoy about Earthbound arrangements is that the originals are a little too well-mixed. If it's not a bass part and it makes a tone, then it's probably crammed in the mid register along with all other said parts. I reviewed your Twoson and I thought you handled that pretty well though, so I think you've got a good grasp on this ^^

~

Honestly I have a tiiiiny little pet peeve when it comes to clashing voices on the same note. i.e. The whole first section. xD But after comparing this with your first version, I won't complain anymore haha.

That being said, I'd abuse my creative freedom a little and write the counter-melody an octave higher than it already is, such that the melody is below it - for the most part everything still stays within and octave, and you don't have to deal with clashing notes. But that's just a suggestion ^^

~

The second section seems pretty okay! I think it'll sound pretty good live. Small nitpick though - i'm not sure what the brackets on b.10 and 14 exist for, haha xD

Otherwise, well done on another effective Earthbound piece! ^^

Yug_Guy

Quote from: daj on February 01, 2017, 09:04:36 PMThe one thing I don't really enjoy about Earthbound arrangements is that the originals are a little too well-mixed. If it's not a bass part and it makes a tone, then it's probably crammed in the mid register along with all other said parts. I reviewed your Twoson and I thought you handled that pretty well though, so I think you've got a good grasp on this ^^
^^My thoughts exactly. It's not any fun trying to figure out where to cram in some of these extra parts.

Quote from: daj on February 01, 2017, 09:04:36 PMHonestly I have a tiiiiny little pet peeve when it comes to clashing voices on the same note. i.e. The whole first section. xD But after comparing this with your first version, I won't complain anymore haha.
That being said, I'd abuse my creative freedom a little and write the counter-melody an octave higher than it already is, such that the melody is below it - for the most part everything still stays within and octave, and you don't have to deal with clashing notes. But that's just a suggestion ^^
I totally get the clashing voices peeve, but I'd have to disagree with you on this one. I think it sounds perfectly fine the way it is right now. That, and I try to stay as close to the original piece whenever possible.

Quote from: daj on February 01, 2017, 09:04:36 PMThe second section seems pretty okay! I think it'll sound pretty good live. Small nitpick though - i'm not sure what the brackets on b.10 and 14 exist for, haha xD
The range between the G & E is a bit much, so the bracket just signifies "play it if you can, leave it out if you can't."

Quote from: daj on February 01, 2017, 09:04:36 PMOtherwise, well done on another effective Earthbound piece! ^^
Thank you very much! I try my best.

daj

Alright, your arrangement decisions were made with care, and I respect that. ^^

Great job, and hope this gets accepted soon! :)

Olimar12345

Oh wow, this is Youngtown from Mother. I really need to play EarthBound.
Anyway,

-Subtitle and composer names are not in alignment.
-Overall, you have soooo much voice crossing. It both sounds disjunct and makes the piece more awkward to play. I would recommend looking at what I did in my arrangement of Youngtown from EB Beginnings for ideas of how to organize it more effectively.
Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

Yug_Guy

Quote from: Olimar12345 on February 12, 2017, 01:29:58 PMOh wow, this is Youngtown from Mother.
Man, it's like they're by the same composer or something

Quote from: Olimar12345 on February 12, 2017, 01:29:58 PM-Overall, you have soooo much voice crossing. It both sounds disjunct and makes the piece more awkward to play. I would recommend looking at what I did in my arrangement of Youngtown from EB Beginnings for ideas of how to organize it more effectively.
Just for clarification: are you talking about m1-8 or m9-16?

Olimar12345

Quote from: Yug_Guy on February 12, 2017, 01:57:19 PMMan, it's like they're by the same composer or something
Well god forbid they write new material.

Quote from: Yug_Guy on February 12, 2017, 01:57:19 PMJust for clarification: are you talking about m1-8 or m9-16?
I'm talking about the entire piece.
Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

Yug_Guy

Thanks for the clarification. Anyways:
Quote from: Olimar12345 on February 12, 2017, 01:29:58 PM-Subtitle and composer names are not in alignment.
Should be fixed.
Quote from: Olimar12345 on February 12, 2017, 01:29:58 PM-Overall, you have soooo much voice crossing. It both sounds disjunct and makes the piece more awkward to play. I would recommend looking at what I did in my arrangement of Youngtown from EB Beginnings for ideas of how to organize it more effectively.
For m.1-8, I did daj's suggestion & moved the accompaniment in the R.H. up an octave. For m.9-16, I got rid of the 8vb in the L.H., and moved accompaniment from the R.H. to the L.H. Hopefully this fixes the voice crossing issue.

Olimar12345

-Subtitle was still off (and the url too. Missed that before).
-The composer's spot says "arranged by" (?)
-I would recommend adding courtesy accidentals to the A naturals in measures 2 and 6 (LH) since they're coming right from A#'s.
-The now upper voice in measure 8 (RH) should end on a half note D# (not rearticulate the G# like in measure 4).
-The G# in measure 11 (and again in measure 16) (RH) should be an F# below that.
-The F#'s in the lower layer of the LH in measures 11-12 (and again in measures 15-16) should be G naturals.
-The crescendo doesn't seem to really get going until around measure 5. I'd recommend moving it there. I'd also make the dynamics a bit more...dynamic.kill meGoes from meh quiet-ish to meh loud-ish.

All but the last comment about the dynamics can be seen in this: [MUS]

Yug_Guy

Quote from: Olimar12345 on February 12, 2017, 02:51:44 PM-Subtitle was still off (and the url too. Missed that before).
-The composer's spot says "arranged by" (?)
-I would recommend adding courtesy accidentals to the A naturals in measures 2 and 6 (LH) since they're coming right from A#'s.
-The now upper voice in measure 8 (RH) should end on a half note D# (not rearticulate the G# like in measure 4).
-The G# in measure 11 (and again in measure 16) (RH) should be an F# below that.
-The F#'s in the lower layer of the LH in measures 11-12 (and again in measures 15-16) should be G naturals.
-The crescendo doesn't seem to really get going until around measure 5. I'd recommend moving it there.
All good suggestions. Thanks!

Quote from: Olimar12345 on February 12, 2017, 02:51:44 PMI'd also make the dynamics a bit more...dynamic.kill meGoes from meh quiet-ish to meh loud-ish.
I mean, other than the crescendo at m.5, the song really isn't all that dynamic. I mean, m.1-4 are definitely quieter than m.9-16, but that's really about it. I guess maybe I could change the mf at measure 9 to an f?

Olimar12345

That works. I was mostly talking in general, with this piece as an example of a case of the "mezzo's." Looks good now though.

Yug_Guy

Quote from: Olimar12345 on February 12, 2017, 06:35:36 PMThat works. I was mostly talking in general, with this piece as an example of a case of the "mezzo's." Looks good now though.
Cool. I forgot to mention it earlier, but I already updated it with dynamic changes. Sorry I didn't mention that sooner.