News:

NinSheetMusic is 1264 years old!

Main Menu

[Wii] Kirby's Return to Dream Land - Staff Credits

Started by ShadowChords, December 25, 2016, 01:09:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ShadowChords

I can arrange for quartets and quintets. I'm willing to review any Pokemon arrangement.

And here's my YT channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/MansionXx

Latios212

What, so you can take the piano arrangement we work so hard on and copy and paste parts for an "orchestration"?
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Dudeman

Woah, Latios, tone down the passive aggression. You can just decline.
Quote from: braixen1264 on December 03, 2015, 03:52:29 PMDudeman's facial hair is number 1 in my book

Olimar12345

Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

Latios212

I know what our sheets look like, and I've seen his Musescore sheets. Whole parts are being copy/pasted without any credit. And I'm not even being speculative, he's literally saying he's going to use it for his Musescore.

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

ShadowChords

Quote from: Latios212 on December 25, 2016, 02:12:02 PMI know what our sheets look like, and I've seen his Musescore sheets. Whole parts are being copy/pasted without any credit. And I'm not even being speculative, he's literally saying he's going to use it for his Musescore.

I'm using them as references. If someone asked me "hey, that's a pretty accurate arrangement" I'd tell them "I actually didn't arrange this by ear, it's based off an arrangement by (person x)." I'm not taking credit for your work or anyone else's. Calm down, buddy.

And the reason why I use them is because they're GOOD. A lot better than most of the arrangements found on the rest of MuseScore. And that's the reason why I keep coming back here, because this website has a quality filter and makes great arrangements. And it's not like I'm uploading just the piano arrangement, and putting my name on it. Now THAT would be taking credit for something I didn't do- it would also be plagiarism. But I'm not doing that. So I don't know what you're mad about.
I can arrange for quartets and quintets. I'm willing to review any Pokemon arrangement.

WaluigiTime64

Quote from: ShadowChords on December 25, 2016, 10:30:47 PMI'm using them as references. If someone asked me "hey, that's a pretty accurate arrangement" I'd tell them "I actually didn't arrange this by ear, it's based off an arrangement by (person x)." I'm not taking credit for your work or anyone else's.
Well, if you're going to do that, I think it would be courteous to have the other arranger obviously credited on the arrangement, as opposed to waiting for someone to say that.

Quote from: ShadowChords on December 25, 2016, 10:30:47 PMAnd the reason why I use them is because they're GOOD. A lot better than most of the arrangements found on the rest of MuseScore. And that's the reason why I keep coming back here, because this website has a quality filter and makes great arrangements.
[IDEA] You could stay here and practice being a better transcriber, so you wouldn't have to request others to do it for you.
My Arrangements (All Outdated)
My Compositions (All Outdated)
Quote from: WaluigiTime64I strive for second place and I will fight for the position.

FireArrow

Quote from: ShadowChords on December 25, 2016, 10:30:47 PMI'm using them as references. If someone asked me "hey, that's a pretty accurate arrangement" I'd tell them "I actually didn't arrange this by ear, it's based off an arrangement by (person x)." I'm not taking credit for your work or anyone else's. Calm down, buddy.

And the reason why I use them is because they're GOOD. A lot better than most of the arrangements found on the rest of MuseScore. And that's the reason why I keep coming back here, because this website has a quality filter and makes great arrangements. And it's not like I'm uploading just the piano arrangement, and putting my name on it. Now THAT would be taking credit for something I didn't do- it would also be plagiarism. But I'm not doing that. So I don't know what you're mad about.

You know how you need a works cited page for a paper even if you write everything in your own words? Same thing applies here.

Put something like
"Arranged/Transcribed by [insert arranged]"
"Rearranged/Orchestrated by ShadowChords"

Currently, you are taking credit by omission.
Quote from: Dudeman on January 23, 2017, 05:35:59 PM
straight from the department of redundancy department

Latios212

Let's take a closer look, shall we? Consider "Let's Go Home" from Pokemon OR/AS.
My sheet: http://www.ninsheetmusic.org/download/pdf/3045
ShadowChords's sheet: https://musescore.com/user/2538671/scores/2449066

The beginning of the "reorchestration" looks familiar. It's literally the exact same notes copied from the piano staff on my sheet to the piano staff on ShadowChords's sheet. You can see the cross-staff didnt copy over well, but everything else, right down to the dynamics, stem directions, and even the cross-staff lines, is intact.

Well, okay, the sheet begins with literally the entirety of my sheet. Let's look at the rest, when other instruments start coming in on page 5. Look familiar again? The guitar part is another blatant copy/paste. The exact same notes again. So in the first 8 pages, nothing has been done except taking the notes directly from my sheet.

And the rest? Starting with page 9, we see material from my sheet yet again... the glockenspiel and violin staves are just the melody (RH) copied yet again, the viola staff just replicates chords present in my sheet for the most part, and the violincello staff is the LH, just transposed in places.

Quote from: ShadowChords on December 25, 2016, 10:30:47 PMI'm using them as references.
That doesn't sound right to me; "using as a reference" would mean something like looking at one of our sheets to help determine things like rhythms, chord progressions, difficult notes to hear, etc. Not pasting the entirety of my sheet directly into a new sheet.

It's not just this sheet, of course. Let's take a quick look at some other sheets:
"Iki Town (Night)" [his] [braix's] acoustic guitar c/p from RH of piano
"Route 216 (Day)" [his] [daj's] tenor 1, trombone 1 c/p from RH of piano
"Dragonspiral Tower" [his] [Ben's] just about everything...
et al.

I hold nothing against the vast majority of people who use our sheets. If you want something to learn on the piano, great! If you want to reference (and credit) a sheet when making an orchestration, sure! But why should anyone do something for you if you're taking their work without credit or thanks and using it for self-promotion? We've had this problem before, which is another reason I'm annoyed.
Quote from: mastersuperfan on December 31, 2015, 10:23:07 AMAnd yet... you neglect to give the site any credit whatsoever upon finishing the project.

Quote from: ShadowChords on December 25, 2016, 10:30:47 PMI don't know what you're mad about.
Need I go on?

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Olimar12345

Shadowchords, doing things like this is fine and a great way to improve one's abilities for arranging and orchestrating for different ensembles. Latios is right though, if you're going to do it this way, it's uncouth to not give credit where it's due, even as easily as a simple mention in the description. To come and request an arrangement like this is basically like giving us the middle finger.
Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

ShadowChords

Quote from: FireArrow on December 26, 2016, 12:42:12 AMYou know how you need a works cited page for a paper even if you write everything in your own words? Same thing applies here.

Put something like
"Arranged/Transcribed by [insert arranged]"
"Rearranged/Orchestrated by ShadowChords"

Currently, you are taking credit by omission.

Do you think there's a simpler way of saying that, like saying "the original transcription belongs to its respective owner. There is no attempt of plagiarism, please support the official author" and then link to the Ninsheetmusic front page? Or maybe the PDF link?

WaluigiTime64

What you just suggested sounds more complicated than what FireArrow suggested.
My Arrangements (All Outdated)
My Compositions (All Outdated)
Quote from: WaluigiTime64I strive for second place and I will fight for the position.

Olimar12345

ShadowChords

Quote from: WaluigiTime64 on December 26, 2016, 12:02:57 PMWhat you just suggested sounds more complicated than what FireArrow suggested.

That's true, but I settled on that.

So I've modified my template description (that's the one I always used) so that it says that "the arrangement belongs to its respective owner, no attempts of plagiarism, yada yada" and then I added a link to the NinSheetMusic front page. So we're all good here, right? Are we satisfied with that? Yes? All right, sounds good!

Altissimo

ok but is there any reason you couldn't just take the extra second so that each arrangement includes reference to the actual arranger name, rather than "its respective owner" and (maybe) a link to the pdf itself rather than ninsheetmusic's front page

just curious

i mean even in works cited pages you dont say "Romeo and Juliet, by whoever wrote it, there's lots of versions" you say "Romeo and Juliet, by William Shakespeare, 1994 Dover Publishing" (edited for proper APA/MLA/Chicago/Turabian/[insert style of choice here] of course lmao) :p