News:

Rest in pepperoni, Mario Mario, 1981 - 2021
He will be missed by all, except for me! WARIO, NUMBER ONE!

Main Menu

[DELETED] [SNES] Chrono Trigger - "Courage and Pride" by Static

Started by Zeta, December 12, 2016, 01:59:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeta

Submission Information:

Series: Other
Game: Chrono Trigger
Console: Super Nintendo Entertainment System
Title: Courage and Pride
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: Static

Static

This is one of my favorite Chrono Trigger songs, I just really dig these kind of march-y songs.

Sebastian

Beautiful. You never cease to surprise me with your wonderful arranging style and pristine ear. : )

Just two tiny, tiny, nitpicky things:
- The dotted half Gb in M. 25 (and M. 28) (RH) cuts off on beat 3 of the next measure (according to the original).
Spoiler
[close]
- Beat 1 in M. 31 is somewhat awkward. Personally, I don't mind if you don't change a thing, but you do have the option of something like this, only for the sake of keeping it clean:
Spoiler
[close]

Keep up the wonderful work!

Static

Quote from: Sebastian on January 02, 2017, 11:56:36 AMBeautiful. You never cease to surprise me with your wonderful arranging style and pristine ear. : )
First of all, thank you!

Quote from: Sebastian on January 02, 2017, 11:56:36 AM- The dotted half Gb in M. 25 (and M. 28) (RH) cuts off on beat 3 of the next measure (according to the original).
Spoiler
[close]
Fixed.

Quote from: Sebastian on January 02, 2017, 11:56:36 AM- Beat 1 in M. 31 is somewhat awkward. Personally, I don't mind if you don't change a thing, but you do have the option of something like this, only for the sake of keeping it clean:
Spoiler
[close]
I actually did something a little different; I removed only the first eighth note in the first layer. That way, it doesn't look messy while also keeping that constant eighth note feel for bars 31-32. On top of that, I don't think stretching all the way from Cb to the Db an octave above there on beat 1 would be very comfortable, so that's another reason why I changed it.

Thanks for the feedback!

Sebastian

Quote from: Static on January 02, 2017, 12:19:29 PMI actually did something a little different; I removed only the first eighth note in the first layer. That way, it doesn't look messy while also keeping that constant eighth note feel for bars 31-32. On top of that, I don't think stretching all the way from Cb to the Db an octave above there on beat 1 would be very comfortable, so that's another reason why I changed it.
That works greatly!

FireArrow

Quote from: Sebastian on January 02, 2017, 11:56:36 AMYou never cease to surprise me with your pristine ear. : )

This is hands down the best compliment I've ever heard.
Quote from: Dudeman on January 23, 2017, 05:35:59 PM
straight from the department of redundancy department

Bespinben

I'm going to argue the composition is in Gb major rather than Cb major.
Disclaimer: It is not based on the unending debate of representating modes via accidentals vs key signatures. The fact that m. 1-24 all fall diatonically within Gb major is not my point.

Notice the oh-so-hokey chord progression in m. 25-31? (srsly, them japs love doing this [looking at you N's Farewell!])
If we treat Gb as the tonal basis of this progression, it makes sense:  bIIIM7->bVIM7->bIIM7->I(sus). Circle to the neopolitan, then resolution to the tonic.
Based in Cb, the resulting analysis would yield a much more befuddling progression: bVIIM7->bIIIM7->bVIM7->V(sus). While it's not unheard of for a dominant to be "prepared" by a bVI of some quality (example: a German sixth, or a tritone sub of a V/V secondary dominant), I'm not convinced that's the case here.
Quote from: Nebbles on July 04, 2015, 12:05:12 PM
Someone beat Bespinben to making PMD music?! GASP!

MLF for Chatroom Mod next Tuesday

Static

Thanks, this should be fixed now. I'll try to keep these kinda things in mind in the future.

Brassman388

Static

Oops, I apologize, I clicked on the wrong files when I reuploaded this one.
Thanks for pointing that out, all the links should be correct now.

Maelstrom

A few things:
Staccatos on the Cb's in the first section? The Gb is held, but the Cb is not. I think this provides a good distinction.
No LH staccatos in 17-24?
The last LH chord in m18 is a diminished chord, which is definitely not in the song. Move the Cb up to a Db to get a CbM chord which is much more appropriate than an Fdim. Also in m21.
m25-30  If a note is tied, the slur should go to the note it is tied to, not end on it.

Static

I made all of those changes except for the staccatos; I feel that the timpani has more of a ringing sound than a staccato one, especially at the beginning. Even at measure 17, while the timpani has more of a punchier sound, it still rings and I wouldn't really mark it as staccato. That being said, if you or anyone else thinks that the arrangement would sound better with staccatos there, I wouldn't mind adding them back in.

Anyway though, chords and slurs are all fixed, and all the files should be updated.

Edit: Also fixed a slur that was clashing with a tie in bar 27.

Latios212

My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle