News:

Debate topic for next Tuesday: Are cannons truly valid instruments for an orchestra? Or should they be replaced with something safer, like Tesla coils?

Main Menu

[SNES] Super Castlevania IV - "Password" by pokeyasd

Started by Zeta, December 01, 2016, 01:49:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeta

Submission Information:

Series: Castlevania
Game: Super Castlevania IV
Console: Super Nintendo Entertainment System
Title: Password
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: pokeyasd

[attachment deleted by admin]

pokeyasd

I first submitted this back in August. The original submission had some flaws which have now been fixed. This time hopefully fixing new flaws won't take 3 months ;D

Maelstrom

pokeyasd

Bespinben

Based on the genre this piece is emulating, I think a sort of psuedo-liturgical, 4-voice hymnal style of notation would be very fitting for the piece. So, instead of trying to fit 3 voices in the right hand, divide the parts so that two are on the lower staff, and two are on the upper staff. One of the upper voices is an octave doubling of the bass, so this I feel would be the best candidate for the "tenor" voice of our psuedo-SATB layout:

While we could call it a day like this, there are a lot of voice overlaps that would result in this arrangement of parts, such as at m. 4 when the horn plays the 16th run. If we free ourselves of the self-imposed obligation to represent each voice as their constituent part in the OST (warning: this may incite the wrath of the cult of transcription), it would allow us exchange what would be overlaps to a different voice altogether, like so:

Final recommendation: An added measure 9, with a Picardy Cadence ;) So cliche, I know... xD
Quote from: Nebbles on July 04, 2015, 12:05:12 PM
Someone beat Bespinben to making PMD music?! GASP!

MLF for Chatroom Mod next Tuesday

pokeyasd

Hello Bespinben,

Thank you for your high level feedback! After giving it thought, I decided that I will move the lower upper voices to the bass clef to double the bass. I'm still considering if to move the overlapping voices different octaves or not to. I might lose sleep if the arrangement strays too far from the original composition, haha...

Anyways, I am aiming to do the changes this weekend. Thanks again for the feedback.

With best regards,
David

pokeyasd

Revised versions uploaded. Decided not to remove the collisions as shifting the overlapping notes to different octaves just didn't sound good to my ear.

Bespinben

I like the revisions! Two quick notational corrections:
(1) Correct the stem directions for m. 2, beats 3-4, bass clef. The keyboard shortcut for flipping stems in Finale is Select+L.
(2) Add a repeat indicator of some sort, either a Da Capo or a simple repeat bracket.

pokeyasd

(1) Are you talking about these two notes highlighted in red? I want to make sure before editing, as editing with Finale Notepad is quite the ordeal.

(2) As what comes to the repeat sign: The sheet originally had a simple repeat bracket spanning from beginning to end, but another fellow here (Tobbeh99) pointed out that it's redundant to have one when the song just repeats from beginning to end. I think I have to agree with him on this one, but I'll add one if you insist on it.

Bespinben

(1) Yes, and also beat 2, for the same reason.

(2) That's why I suggested adding a cadence to close off the piece. Doing so would also make for a more uniform horizontal spacing, solving both a compositional and engraving obstacle. Once upon a time I had to use Notepad as well, so I understand its limits and purposefully designed unfriendliness. You have my sympathy.

Files: [MID] [MUS] [PDF] [MUSX]

pokeyasd

After giving it some thought, I decided to leave the ending chord you added. First I thought that I'm still not really at that level in terms of arranging music, but it fits the song so well, that it might as well stay there (thanks for teaching me this trick!). So I'd like to use the files you added to your post, if you don't mind.

There's just one thing I'd like to know: I'm not sure how to read the Coda in this context. I know how to use a Coda when there's another Coda leading to it (D.C. al Coda) or with a Segno (D.S. al Coda).

Bespinben

Normally, an "Al Coda" would be necessary for leading into a coda. This particularly omission is a compromise I've made with traditional notation in order to account for the peculiar nature of looping VGM tracks. The intended effect is to highlight the coda as being not part of the original composition. Granted, one could achieve the same effect with a simple repeat bar, but it would lack the visual distinction.

Quote from: pokeyasd on December 17, 2016, 02:17:49 PMSo I'd like to use the files you added to your post, if you don't mind.
Absolutely!

pokeyasd

Your modifications have now been submitted. Thank you very much for you help, Bespinben.

Zeta

This submission has been accepted by Bespinben.

~Zeta, your friendly NSM-Bot