News:

Congratulations!! You, yes, YOU, dear user, have been selected for the "You Read This News Item" award! Click here for your prize!!

Main Menu

[GBA] The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap - "Princess Zelda" by Lkjhgfdsa_77

Started by Zeta, October 28, 2016, 04:35:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeta

Submission Information:

Series: The Legend of Zelda
Game: The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap
Console: Game Boy Advance
Title: Princess Zelda
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: Lkjhgfdsa_77

[attachment deleted by admin]

Lkjhgfdsa_77

Time to submit something new! Might as well use my second submission slot...

There are a few things that I had trouble with on this one -
 - really odd note collisions, which caused some extension dots to be covered
 - playability issues mainly after m29, I tried to move the melody down an octave but it got really messy even with some note flipping, you can view my attempt here (link coming soon) https://goo.gl/3wgRZj
 - notation oddities, for example m28 layer 2 with the staff crossing, from my understanding NotePad doesn't allow the fancy cross-staff eighth not beams
 - general clashing everywhere
 - lack of a double bar entry feature in NotePad, which may prompt me to use the line tool to make my own...
 - my own prefectionism trying to put every single voice possible in, which led to said playability issues

Feedback appreciated!
- Lkjhgfdsa_77
Arr | Tran | LiPo | Intro | YT | Blog

Latios212

Obligatory reminder to ask for formatting help here before submitting. (I don't have the time to fix it myself atm.) Keep in mind you can fix misaligned notes by simply deleting and re-entering them (i.e. 29 LH). Many of the things you mentioned are quick fixes in Finale.

29-37 are fine with regards to playability, the largest interval is a ninth. Pedaling is fine here. 38, 40, 42 will need adjusting though. Ultimately it's your job to make it playable by a solo pianist, not make a transcription, so think about how you want the voices to be arranged.

As for the intro, I would recommend 3/4+4/4. It's a bit more difficult to tell where the strong beats are in large measures like this. You also end up with the whole note tied to a dotted half, and dividing the measure would get rid of that (it's not necessary anyway because you end up striking the note again).

(More things to consider that I don't have time for right now.)

And the composer info. This song is just an arrangement of Kondo's composition (iirc).
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Lkjhgfdsa_77

Posted it on the thread, will edit the post once it gets done and do all of the things you mentioned.
As for the composer, the MP3 on this site as well as the Capcom database listed Takano as the arranger, but the ending credits for Ocarina of Time (which was the basis for this composition) was written by Kondo.

Edit: It's taking forever so I'll do some changes now. Another edit will come when something happens.

Edit 2: Added pedal markings aside from the 7/4 section, changed m38, 40, 42 to be more playable (transposed layer 1 down one octave), and used the line shape to create double lines. Also changed m5-12 to not show the bass note twice.
- Lkjhgfdsa_77

Lkjhgfdsa_77

Put my changes form earlier onto Latios's file. I only put the pedal markings at the beginning with a simile afterwards.
- Lkjhgfdsa_77

Lkjhgfdsa_77

- Lkjhgfdsa_77

Tobbeh99

Impressive arrangement! :)

Here's some feedback from me:

-In the beginning (and also throughout the song), consider if you want the harp chord as rolled chords (arpeggiated chords). I think it could sound nice when the chords are in the treble register, but maybe less pretty when they're in the bass register, like m.9-14. Also I believe there should be a (harp)chord on beat 1 in measures 2,4,6 & 8, which is missing. 

Image example
[close]

-I think the articulation grace note + parenthesis is a good way of showing how you're supposed to play the alternative "echo notes".
Image example
[close]
Quote from: Dudeman on August 16, 2016, 06:11:42 AM
tfw you get schooled in English grammar by a guy whose first language is not English

10/10 tobbeh

Lkjhgfdsa_77

Quote from: Tobbeh99 on December 11, 2016, 12:37:38 PM-In the beginning (and also throughout the song), consider if you want the harp chord as rolled chords (arpeggiated chords). I think it could sound nice when the chords are in the treble register, but maybe less pretty when they're in the bass register, like m.9-14. Also I believe there should be a (harp)chord on beat 1 in measures 2,4,6 & 8, which is missing. 

Image example
[close]
Added these in. NotePad can't put in the echo notes so you (or someone else with a better Finale) will have to add it in.
- Lkjhgfdsa_77

Latios212

Did a final sweep.

- Cleaned up some layer work in the intro.
- LH Layer 2 changed to D in beat 1 m. 9 - I'm hearing a D there and it sounds better than the octave-tripled B.
- m. 15 - LH is missing on beat 2. I wrote in the A-C I hear in the original, lemme know if you like. (Moving it an octave down with the rest of the voice probably wouldn't sound so good.)
- m. 12 and 16 - LH beat 1 is a F# and B dyad on beat 1.
- m. 17-24 section: may I recommend restoring the LH to its original octave since nothing's crossing into the LH area in this section? Also moved a couple of bass notes to their correct (relative) place in this section and the next.
- m. 33 layer 2 are Cs (not As). 37 too.
- m. 33+ dyads sound a little off: see sheet
- m. 42 (similarly 44) I'd suggest taking out the layer one note because: you don't hear it much on beat 1 (it fades in and only really becomes prominent when layer 2 is striking it anyway), it wouldn't sound very nice against the triad, and it messes up note spacing.
- Moved systems around the pages a bit.
- Wait, which voice is the top layer in the last system?

Also:
- You're missing a lot of cool stuff in 40! Besides that, if you're okay with everything I mentioned above, we're good. I can add that in for you if you like.

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Lkjhgfdsa_77

Quote from: Latios212 on January 01, 2017, 11:09:53 AMDid a final sweep.
(post)
Put this file into the submission. Also added a fermata in m24, a ritardando at m39, and an a tempo at m41.

As for the part on m40, I think that I have some of the notes but the timing is really weird (as well as being really faint) and you may have to put in the timing. I put them in the second layer as sixteenth and thirty-second notes.if you want to use them.
- Lkjhgfdsa_77

Latios212

How about something like the OoT End Credits sheet? [PDF] at m. 40

Something similar rhythmically, I can edit it in for you.

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Lkjhgfdsa_77

Quote from: Latios212 on January 28, 2017, 03:50:52 PMHow about something like the OoT End Credits sheet? [PDF] at m. 40

Something similar rhythmically, I can edit it in for you.
That looks nice, you can put that in. You can also add in Tobbeh's suggestion for the echo notes:

Quote from: Tobbeh99 on December 11, 2016, 12:37:38 PM
Image example
[close]
- Lkjhgfdsa_77

Olimar12345

thingz
-Sounds like a rit. in measure 8 and atempo in 9
-Measure 22 sounds more like an A7b9 chord to me. You have the root, third, seventh and lowered ninth. Using this theory, the strong A has meaning as a chord tone. The only difference between that and what you have spelled right now is that the Db should be respelled to be a C#. (do this again at measure 30)
-Measure 4 (LH) should be the same as measure 2: D-E, not B-C. Same thing at measure 8.
-I ended up re-transcribing measure 40 (like mentioned above) and Latios called this one. It looks nearly identical to the other version (and tbh it should). Methinks it should look more like this:

This file has the measure in question, as well as the above changes.
Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

Lkjhgfdsa_77

Quote from: Olimar12345 on February 01, 2017, 06:08:23 PMthingz
-Sounds like a rit. in measure 8 and atempo in 9
-Measure 22 sounds more like an A7b9 chord to me. You have the root, third, seventh and lowered ninth. Using this theory, the strong A has meaning as a chord tone. The only difference between that and what you have spelled right now is that the Db should be respelled to be a C#. (do this again at measure 30)
-Measure 4 (LH) should be the same as measure 2: D-E, not B-C. Same thing at measure 8.
-I ended up re-transcribing measure 40 (like mentioned above) and Latios called this one. It looks nearly identical to the other version (and tbh it should). Methinks it should look more like this:

This file has the measure in question, as well as the above changes.

Put this in the submission.

Quote from: FilenameThe Legend of Zelda Minish Cap - Princess Zelda12345

who is zelda12345 and why did they take over olimar12345's account
- Lkjhgfdsa_77

Latios212

Spoiler
[close]
turtle