Least favourite parts of your favourite fiction, and vice versa

Started by Nitro Indigo, October 16, 2016, 11:31:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nitro Indigo

Basically, this thread is for critizing works of fiction you like... And praising ones you don't.

First off, least favourite aspects of things I like:
Rise of the Guardians nearly bankrupted DreamWorks.
I don't like how we never got to see what happened to the rest of the world at the end of Klonoa: Door to Phantomile.
If I had one bad thing to say about Inside Out, it's how Sadness kept touching the memories because "she couldn't help it." Sounds like a cop-out to me.
I don't like how the Harry Potter books spend ages setting things up. I know that there's foreshadowing and all that, but still.
In Toy Story 2, it's sort of unrealistic how the toys hijacked the airport luggage thing and drove it back home, off screen, without anyone noticing.
I'll defend Cars because no-one else wants to, but even I'll admit that most of the supporting characters are incredibly one-note.
Solatorobo has incredibly pixelated graphics, even by DS standards.
I really don't like the designs of the Lokomos in Spirit Tracks. Except Byrne/Staven, he's awesome.
The Thousand-Year Door has incredibly low-resolution textures, even by GameCube standards.

As for my favourite parts of my least favourite fiction, I don't hate many things. The only thing I can think of right now that I genuinely dislike is Seekers, but the Egmont covers look amazing.
Quote from: MaestroUGC on January 07, 2017, 11:45:40 AM
You mean a thing that happened some time ago is older now and it's suddenly dawning on you that an equal amount of time has passed for you as well? How revolutionary.

SlowPokemon

In the Professor Layton games, particularly the second and third, there's some cringeworthy traditional gender role action--the way a certain character is treated by the writers is pretty terrible and there are lowkey sexist undertones to it. Worth noting that in later entries this did get better with the introduction of Emmy Altava (and a female protagonist is set for the upcoming Lady Layton game), but it's difficult for me to get past sometimes.
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

Nitro Indigo

Like Flora complaining about people not eating her sandwiches in the third game?
You mean a thing that happened some time ago is older now and it's suddenly dawning on you that an equal amount of time has passed for you as well? How revolutionary.

SlowPokemon

More like Flora's only defining characteristics being her inability to do anything and constant need for Layton to get her out of trouble. (Also there's the entire fiasco with her in Diabolical Box lmao)

Nitro Indigo

Speaking of Professor Layton, Lost/Unwound Future isn't necessarily one of my favourite fictions, but it bothers me how Puzzletta was introduced by having her unceremoniously kill the bee. Was that really necessary?

SlowPokemon

Quote from: Nitro Indigo on October 17, 2016, 08:01:22 AMSpeaking of Professor Layton, Lost/Unwound Future isn't necessarily one of my favourite fictions, but it bothers me how Puzzletta was introduced by having her unceremoniously kill the bee. Was that really necessary?

I thought that was a really funny way to give Puzzlette a quirky vibe (and the credits show that the bee is fine, just a bit injured--no one dies on screen in Layton games).

Nitro Indigo

Back on-topic...
I really like Super Paper Mario, especially its story, but I don't like how the backstory between two certain characters was a bit vague.
Spoiler
I didn't know that Blumiere killed the Tribe of Darkness until I read it on the internet. Heck, I would've liked to learn more about who they were and why they had animosity with humans. To fanfiction?
[close]
I watched an entire let's play of Super Paper Mario before I played it, and whenever I do that, it takes me ages to play the game.

Gates to Infinity has one of the slowest beginnings I've ever seen in a video game, and the text speed doesn't help at all. I honestly hated it the first time I played it until Umbreon showed up.

On the flip side, The Legend of Spyro: A New Beginning is so tedious and repetitive that I wonder why it had to be a video game, but it looks fantastic, almost like a DreamWorks movie.

Dudeman

Twilight Princess's opening is slow and terrible and generally takes forever, but TP is still my favorite game in the franchise.
Quote from: braixen1264 on December 03, 2015, 03:52:29 PMDudeman's facial hair is number 1 in my book

Nebbles

I love Twilight Princess to pieces, but holy shit, collecting the light tears is fucking awful.
Quote from: Dudeman on April 13, 2016, 04:54:04 PM
- Nebbles, the beauty with the heart of frozen steel

Nitro Indigo

I only started liking Twilight Princess at the Snowpeak Ruins. It was my favourite video game a few years ago.

E. Gadd Industries

I would discuss Sunshine's many glitches, but I find those fun to mess with :P But seriously, though, some of those Blue Coins... I get making someone work hard to 100% the game, but sometimes, it's a bit TOO much. @HotelDelfinoCoins @SandBird @NokiCliffsideAlcoves
"Everyone is crazy but me"
-The Sign Painter

The entrance to my lab is hidden... somewhere...
Spoiler

[/spoiler
[close]

Dudeman

Quote from: braixen1264 on December 03, 2015, 03:52:29 PMDudeman's facial hair is number 1 in my book

Nebbles

Quote from: Dudeman on April 13, 2016, 04:54:04 PM
- Nebbles, the beauty with the heart of frozen steel

daj

Eh, might as well.

Funny how only Nitro's mentioned the PMD series. Because it's, well, a mixture of not-so-fun gameplay with a corny and slightly predictable plot. But throw in Pokemon, give us Pokemon lovers images of cutesies breaking down in tears over some mystical stuff that no one gets (filling plot holes, anyone?), and it's suddenly a beautiful game. Characterisation is on-point most of the time (though your partner never changes his/her personality, it seems) and everything is just so dang effective when you mix in the cutesies. Minus the gameplay, of course. Which is what a game should be mostly about, but NO ONE CARES WHEN YOU PLAY PMD. Just, conveniently ignore it. You can't think deep when you're crying.

Also, not sure if anyone else is into the Kingdom Hearts series, but they've been re-using the same maps and characters since the first game...and the plot gets more and more convoluted each time. I don't hate the plot, really, it's just all over the place and too hard for the average gamer to get. Solid gameplay though, so I guess that's a nice plus~

On the subject of TP though...it was actually pretty awesome for twelve-year-old me, ahaha. The speed was just right, and shooting slingshots at stuff for no reason whatsoever was kinda cool I guess. Being turned into a wolf for no reason was weird. And then the whole game from then on was weird and creepy, but awesome. I do remember them light tears though, holy frikking crud. We had a printed walkthrough of the game and we were glueing our eyes to that. No go. Still, great game ^^

MaestroUGC

Quote from: E. Gadd Industries on October 18, 2016, 04:25:19 PMI would discuss Sunshine's many glitches, but I find those fun to mess with :P But seriously, though, some of those Blue Coins... I get making someone work hard to 100% the game, but sometimes, it's a bit TOO much. @HotelDelfinoCoins @SandBird @NokiCliffsideAlcoves
The glitches are the only fun thing about Sunshine. I have video proof of that absolute fact.
Try to do everything; you're bound to succeed with at least one.