News:

Congratulations!! You, yes, YOU, dear user, have been selected for the "You Read This News Item" award! Click here for your prize!!

Main Menu

[GBA] Golden Sun - "The Elemental Stars" (Replacement) by Onionleaf

Started by Zeta, September 13, 2016, 03:40:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeta

Submission Information:

Series: Golden Sun
Game: Golden Sun
Console: Game Boy Advance
Title: The Elemental Stars
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: Onionleaf

Replacement Information:

Links to Existing Sheet: MUS | MIDI | PDF
Replacement Type: Challenge (new arranger)

[attachment deleted by admin]

Onionleaf

I felt that the already submitted sheet for this track is not as "ethereal" as it should be, so here is my interpretation for you to check.
(I also changed the title to one that the song is most often known by)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7pBcKlONnA

Let me know if I can improve it in any way. :)

Oronoco

YES YES YES YES YES You are my friend.

I've felt the same way about the submitted sheet ever since I joined NSM. And I'm glad you changed the title, too. I'll check this out as soon as I can, and I'm sure it'll make my day. Thank you so much for working on this!
Quote from: Yellow on October 13, 2015, 05:18:40 PM
...Really though. Don't let them take it away from you. That desire for something more, for adventure... for destiny. Don't let them turn it against you, either.

JDMEK5

Quote from: Onionleaf on September 13, 2016, 03:46:33 AMLet me know if I can improve it in any way. :)
I would suggest trying to incorporate some of the background harmonies into the RH in measures 5 and on. I do expect there to be some limitations with register clashes with the LH every so often but for the most part I think it could be done.

-Measure 11 LH: I would suggest the use of grace notes rather than these small note values. Up to you though. Whatever you think is more appropriate.
-Measure 13: I'm not sure the double bar line is justified here. These pieces are far too small to use a double bar line on imo. Though someone else may say differently, idk. If you really really want the double bar line at the tempo change, I would be more ok with that once since it's splitting up two bigger and more independent parts.
-Measure 14, LH: Use of a second layer could clean this measure up a bit.

Last thing I have to say is that you may want to consider notating the echo since it's so clear and drastic. Depends on the effect you want. But if I were to notate these, I would suggest something like this (credit to Latios): [See Measures 3-10 RH]

Good clarity throughout the sheet though. Nice to see.
"Today's goal strongly involves not dying. Because nobody likes to wake up dead."

My Arrangements
Finale Version(s): Finale Notepad 2012, Finale 2012, Finale v26

Latios212

Yay replacement!

I think 11 is fine as is.

Beat 1 of measure 34 (RH) is a teeny bit misaligned.

But overall it looks and sounds great! (I don't have time to check it all right now but yeah...)

Is there any reason you have a hidden staff that mimics the RH?
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Onionleaf

My, thanks so much for all the comments & feedback! I'll be sure to implement everything that you've mentioned so far and would do it all now if I wasn't about to fall asleep at my desk... I'll update the files as soon as I come back from work tomorrow.

Oh, and the reason for the hidden staves is to have separate dynamics for the main melody and the optional notes in the very last section. I'll check through those again though to see if they're still necessary.

(@Latios: I've just noticed the trademark in your usertitle, that made me giggle. :D)

Onionleaf

Right, how's this version? I added the "echoes" to the right hand and hopefully haven't made it look too cluttered. Also made some small fixes to the formatting etc.

Maelstrom

The sheet is absolutely beautiful.
There is one exception, though:
The tenuto accents look really strange when some are above and some below the slur.
If they were all one way or the other, it would look quite a bit cleaner and more consistent.

JDMEK5

Check the accuracy of your pitches. Namely the first part (LH) doesn't match up hardly at all with the original so far as Latios and I could tell.
"Today's goal strongly involves not dying. Because nobody likes to wake up dead."

My Arrangements
Finale Version(s): Finale Notepad 2012, Finale 2012, Finale v26

Onionleaf

Sorry about the wait, I've been meaning to work on this all week but only got around to it now.

Quote from: Maelstrom on October 09, 2016, 02:38:58 PMThe sheet is absolutely beautiful.
There is one exception, though:
The tenuto accents look really strange when some are above and some below the slur.
If they were all one way or the other, it would look quite a bit cleaner and more consistent.

Thank you! I'm willing to work on this sheet to make it the best it could be. :) I agree with your point, and have made the necessary changes.

Quote from: JDMEK5 on October 16, 2016, 06:43:45 PMCheck the accuracy of your pitches. Namely the first part (LH) doesn't match up hardly at all with the original so far as Latios and I could tell.

Yikes! You're both right, I'm not quite sure what I was doing there. I'm much more confident about the new pitches that I've put in.

I've also made a few more touch-ups here and there, especially with those echoes. It took a while because of the hidden staves, but was worth the trouble.

Any other recommendations?

joeberryosponge

Is there any reason why it is in 3/4? Most of the rhythms seem to fall into 6/8 especially in the left hand.

Onionleaf

Quote from: joeberryosponge on October 28, 2016, 02:05:31 PMIs there any reason why it is in 3/4? Most of the rhythms seem to fall into 6/8 especially in the left hand.

I was actually pondering about this at one point, I think I went with 3/4 as it seemed more appropriate for the first few bars. Hmm.. if someone else agrees with this idea then I'll change it to 6/8.

Latios212

My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

WaluigiTime64

Pretty sure it's in 3/4, but in saying that, I think some of the notes should be re-beamed to match the time signature.
My Arrangements (All Outdated)
My Compositions (All Outdated)
Quote from: WaluigiTime64I strive for second place and I will fight for the position.

Maelstrom

One final thing and the it's good to go:
I can hear the implied E on beat 1 of m1. It looks really strange without it.