Game: Touhou 13: Ten Desires
Console: PC
Title: The Youkai Girl at the Gate
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: Static

[attachment deleted by admin]

[attachment deleted by admin]

Static

The only part I'm not 100% sure on is the left hand in measures 30-44.

Also, most (if not all) the videos of this song on YouTube have the title as "Youkai Girl at the Gate"; however I went by the in-game title, which included the "the" at the beginning.

WaluigiTime64

Byotiful.

- You might want to add more to the bassline when the beat gets fast. It may not be a part of the bassline, but it would certainly make the arrangement feel closer to the original.

- Your accidentals are kinda iffy. Say, on Measure 3, you have a C Flat in an A Minor section, immediately followed up by a B Natural, which is a little annoying on the pianist. Also on Measure 12, you have D Naturals where there could very well be C Sharps. I would go on, but I think it should be easy enough to figure out which ones I'm talking about.

- Well, one more: In the E Flat Minor section, you have E Double Flats. Now, that goes against the key signature and they would look a lot better as D Naturals.

Besides that, I didn't hear any wrong notes/chords and it sounds alright. Nice work!

EDIT: You should also get those slurs checked out. Particularly in the B Minor section.
My Arrangements (All Outdated)
My Compositions (All Outdated)
Quote from: WaluigiTime64I strive for second place and I will fight for the position.

Static

Thanks for the feedback, especially about the accidentals (I wasn't really too sure on those myself).
Three things:

1. I can definitely see what you mean about the beat in parts of the song, especially starting in m. 22. I might try to figure out a way to implement a different bassline later.

2. All the accidentals you mentioned have been fixed, but I'm still not sure whether the Dbs in m. 3, 7 & 11 should be C#s as well. Also, I wasn't entirely sure whether or not the Abbs in m. 33, 37, and 31, should be G naturals or not.

3. The slurs I have marked in the Bm section seem accurate to me at least; I'm definitely hearing the same slurs in the original.

Again, thanks!

WaluigiTime64

Quote from: Static on August 20, 2016, 08:57:29 PMThanks for the feedback, especially about the accidentals (I wasn't really too sure on those myself).
No problem. I saw Touhou and I jumped on it as soon as I could.

Quote from: Static on August 20, 2016, 08:57:29 PM2. All the accidentals you mentioned have been fixed, but I'm still not sure whether the Dbs in m. 3, 7 & 11 should be C#s as well. Also, I wasn't entirely sure whether or not the Abbs in m. 33, 37, and 31, should be G naturals or not.
Well, generally for consistency's sake I tend to keep similar accidentals within the same sections, but it differs between pieces. Also yes, those Abbs should be G Naturals, especially on Measure 41, because it plays an arpeggio featuring G Natural, and you have both Abb and G Natural, which is definitely off.

Quote from: Static on August 20, 2016, 08:57:29 PM3. The slurs I have marked in the Bm section seem accurate to me at least; I'm definitely hearing the same slurs in the original.
Oh, I meant the shape of them. Their positions are fine, and I can hear them too, it's just the shapes.

Seriously this one literally clashes with the key signature.
Quote from: WaluigiTime64I strive for second place and I will fight for the position.

Static

The rest of the accidentals have been fixed, and so have the slurs. I repositioned many of them (especially in the Ebm section) to make the sheet look cleaner.

I also added a simple bassline consisting of eighth notes in measures 22-27 that actually works really well imo! Thanks for the tip!

WaluigiTime64

Quote from: Static on August 20, 2016, 09:43:48 PMI also added a simple bassline consisting of eighth notes in measures 22-27 that actually works really well imo! Thanks for the tip!
Yeah, you usually have to do that with Touhou arrangements because if it isn't a fairly simplistic bassline it is:
a) Ludicrously fast (most things from PCB, IN and strangely UFO)
b) Pathetically basic (something like Diao Ye Zong (PCB), which only goes as fast as quarter notes)

Also now I'm really uncertain about some of those accidentals. On M.4 they might as well be D Flats, because you very rarely see F Natural and C Sharp together. That usually only happens if it's E Sharp. I guess we'll have to get an Updater or something to look into it.

Touhou songs aren't this complex (accidentals-wise), but I guess it's anything past SA that starts doing that.

WaluigiTime64

Sorry for the double-post, but I come with something good... ~ish. I fixed the accidentals to some degree.

Also one thing about Measure 12: It's supposed to be like this:

But that's just annoying so I made it easier to look at.

Static

Looks really good, thanks for fixing those!

About measure 12: It is kind of annoying, true, but I think for this arrangement I'll keep C#s and E natural on that last chord. It seems more "musically correct" I guess you could say, and I've seen stuff like this in other music before. It's just kind of my preference though (and I'm not exactly an expert at music in general), so if you or anyone else feel that Dbs and Fb work better in this case, I wouldn't really mind changing it back at all.

WaluigiTime64

I've seen this too, and it's so annoying, but I almost always go with what's easier on the pianist. It is a piano arrangement after all. There needs to be a third opinion though.

Latios212

Changing from Db to C# from beats 3 to 4 looks really misleading to someone reading it (at least me). It looks like it's descending, but it's not.
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

WaluigiTime64

Quote from: Latios212 on August 22, 2016, 10:33:08 AMChanging from Db to C# from beats 3 to 4 looks really misleading to someone reading it (at least me). It looks like it's descending, but it's not.
This is what I was getting at. The C#s are musically correct, but annoying to read.

Static

Yeah, the C#s are kinda misleading; I think it looks better with the Dbs anyway. I changed the chord back to the Dbs and Fb instead of the C#s and E.

Also, I fixed the chord in m. 16-17, which was slightly off. The links in the OP should be updated.
Thank you for the help, guys!

Static

Things I've fixed over the past few days:

- Measures 30-45 have gotten a massive overhaul; chords have been fixed and missing harmonies have now been added. In addition, the bassline in m. 30-37 is now more accurate, as well as the 16th note LH runs in m. 38-45.

- General spacing/layout adjustments for a cleaner appearance.

- Courtesy key signature added at m. 45. However, I'm not sure I added it correctly. I added it according to Finale's instructions, but I don't know how to get the last measure to not play. It's not too big of a problem, as the sheet itself looks fine, but having a cleaner .midi and .mus for the site would also be nice.

Edit: I figured out how to actually do this correctly; the links in the OP should be updated.

WaluigiTime64