[GBA] Pokémon Ruby Version & Pokémon Sapphire Version - "Littleroot Town" by dajwxp

Started by Zeta, July 23, 2016, 05:56:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeta

Submission Information:

Series: Pokémon
Game: Pokémon Ruby Version & Pokémon Sapphire Version
Console: Game Boy Advance
Title: Littleroot Town
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: dajwxp

[attachment deleted by admin]

daj

Ahh, a nice little break from DPPt. That was so much easier and simpler to work out, hehe~

The fact that it's easy means that I get a little more liberty to play with fun techniques and expressions, so yeah! Fun crosses and two-part weaving was used :)

FireArrow

favorite hometown theme :D

Measure 10 always gets me. It's just a simple eight rest but holy crap I love it.
Quote from: Dudeman on January 23, 2017, 05:35:59 PM
straight from the department of redundancy department

daj

Quote from: FireArrow on July 23, 2016, 10:26:22 PMfavorite hometown theme :D

but twinleaf D:

...I'll be doing all six live at some point, hehe. Can't wait to do this one too <3

It's my second-favourite, haha. It's so sing-able and carefree. Awesome stuff, really~

QuoteMeasure 10 always gets me. It's just a simple eight rest but holy crap I love it.

Yess!!! Absolutely. The actual is even more awesome. String acciaccaturas are fantastic <3

edit (240716 / 2338)! fixed a minor, but weird beaming issue :p

joeberryosponge

m. 19 and m. 23 seem to be missing the E grace note. Not sure if this is intentional since you have grace notes elsewhere.

daj

Quote from: joeberryosponge on September 20, 2016, 09:20:21 AMm. 19 and m. 23 seem to be missing the E grace note. Not sure if this is intentional since you have grace notes elsewhere.

Hehe, I actually almost forgot about this submission. :p Thanks for the bump ^^

Mm, I do recall some E-nat grace notes, yeah...I think the reason why I chose to leave them out was for contrast with the first section though. In the setting of a piano arrangement every subtle move that can be used to create contrast should be used, because you can't vary instrumentation as with a digital track.

But then again it's one of those "keep it original" vs. "write it more for the piano" debates that's up to the listeners to decide :)

Think I'll wait for a few more opinions before deciding on a move, but either way thank you for your reply ^^

Also, if you'd like a preview:

https://youtu.be/Kq_NtBvffSE

Nebbles

This is beautiful! I'll be drawing from this for a special thing I'm working on ;)
Quote from: Dudeman on April 13, 2016, 04:54:04 PM
- Nebbles, the beauty with the heart of frozen steel

Pianist Da Sootopolis

I wonder if you could incorporate the bass line into this?
Otherwise, nicely done :)
what is shitpost

daj

Quote from: Pianist Da Sootopolis on September 20, 2016, 06:45:43 PMI wonder if you could incorporate the bass line into this?
Otherwise, nicely done :)

I did a modified bass line based on the original in the second section! ^^ It's about 60% faithful to the original and keeps the original rhythm. Twas the best I could do to maintain the four-part harmony there~

As for the first section, I do have the bass transcribed haha. But the problem lies in creating contrast and keeping those spread-chordal blips. I can keep the bass line, but that keeps the whole bass line in the same register for most of the piece and that kinda sucks. Plus, keeping a bass line like that leaves very room to properly execute those blips, which is almost undisputedly the most important part of the piece.

I think my main focus was contrast. If it makes sense, I think the bass wasn't important enough to keep it, so I cut it out there. Thanks for the suggestion though! :)

Quote from: Nebbles on September 20, 2016, 06:17:37 PMThis is beautiful! I'll be drawing from this for a special thing I'm working on ;)

Ahh, thank you so much :)

Do show me what you've crafted (unless it's a secret thing?? :p) once you're done please! ^^ It'll be pretty awesome <3

Nebbles

Quote from: Dudeman on April 13, 2016, 04:54:04 PM
- Nebbles, the beauty with the heart of frozen steel

daj

Tobbeh99

Great arrangement!

1: I hope you're aware and thought out the part m.1-9 as there are some collision with both hands playing in the same register.

2: Maybe consider having the RH play octaves in m.17-24. It sounds in the original as there is some high piano, or other instrument, playing notes an octave higher.
Quote from: Dudeman on August 16, 2016, 06:11:42 AM
tfw you get schooled in English grammar by a guy whose first language is not English

10/10 tobbeh

Pianist Da Sootopolis

what is shitpost

daj

Thanks for the comments and for the time that you took to look through this, guys :)

Quote from: Pianist Da Sootopolis on October 23, 2016, 07:52:48 PMAlso, you're missing the bass pickup in the beginning.

Aware of that, and I'm positively certain that I don't want it. The exact notes are C-E, and that particular two-part harmony is just so shite on the piano that I took it out. I guess I could put in some form of bass, but I chose to cut it for the first section, so it'd be weird. That, and the smallness of the whole section could be compromised by some awkward heavy bass notes in the beginning, so yeah :)

Hope it makes sense!

Quote from: Tobbeh99 on October 23, 2016, 07:48:30 AMGreat arrangement!

Thank you! ^^

Quote1: I hope you're aware and thought out the part m.1-9 as there are some collision with both hands playing in the same register.

Yes, and it was intentional! :) I wanted the section to feel small and intimate, and there's no better way to do that than cramming two part writing in a small range and letting them cross over from time to time. I um, actually did this live (in a mashup, hehe), so I'm pretty certain there are no collisions at all~

Quote2: Maybe consider having the RH play octaves in m.17-24. It sounds in the original as there is some high piano, or other instrument, playing notes an octave higher.

Actually, the whole melody supposed to be an octave higher! :D

But the effect I wanted was "smallness", and that usually involves...(see my reply to PDS' comment). As much as I'd like to stick to the original, I can't beef up the empty space in between a high melody and low-mid bass line with pads and stuff, so I decided to contract the range by an octave ^^

Hope this sinks well! And once again, thank you for your thoughtful comments~

Maelstrom

A few questions:
Why are there no LH harmonies on the even beats in the LH?
Why is the lower bassline included for just 2 measures? It looks rather strange
Why does the slur go over clearly disconnected notes, like beat 3 of m2?
Why are there slurs under a slur?
Why are the expressive texts so large?
Why "singing" and not "cantabile"?