[NES] Kid Klown in Night Mayor World - "Beanstalk"

Started by MattB, July 12, 2016, 11:27:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikey

The standard here is dropbox, but mediafire does work!
unmotivated

MattB

Hi there! Thanks for the tip :)
Thanks for helping make my ol' school favourite tunes sound on my keys!

Best regards!

Zeila

It seems as if your first post got mistaken for a malware website or just got deleted somehow(unless I'm mistaken). Nevertheless, I do recommend dropbox instead of filedropper. Mediafire also works, but is less preferred (but still preferable to other site mediums).

As for the sheet itself, I updated the following:
  • Some formatting stuff. In the future, if you want to submit a song/piece to the site, take a look at the formatting guidelines. It helps if you copy your notes into a template file and/or have someone else help you with other formatting stuff
  • The melody is just one note (although it echos), so I took out the D in m6
  • Some of the half notes are actually of shorter lengths, so I changed them appropriately
  • In m7, the rhythm is off and it messes up the rest of the RH. If my previous suggestions don't work out for you, you could always try listening out for the note on beat 1 of whatever measure and place it down if you ever get stuck. Then you could try and go from there. I fixed part of it, but intentionally didn't fix some of them so you can try and figure it out yourself (whenever you have time)
  • I also changed some flats to sharps

If you still want help with the ending, I can do that. Otherwise, I left the last section the way it was. [MUS]

MattB

I don't know what happened with the link but just in case I deleted it from the post. It was my mistake for sure.
As for my arrangement, I somehow knew I was going too far, this is a shame, I apologize.
I want to thank you all your support and please ask you if you could make a good arrangemet of MMIII Beanstalk for me. I'd appreciate it very much.
Best regards

Zeila

What? It's almost done, and don't be sorry. I don't think you went too far; it's okay if you need some guidance along the way. All you have to do is fix the rest of the RH part and add a measure or two of the melody. If you're feeling overwhelmed, maybe you can take a break before working on it some more. Your main issue seems to be with getting the right rhythm down, so if you're discouraged, feel free to work on some easier pieces (although I recommend to keep trying at it unless you get too frustrated and it becomes more of a chore). If the other pieces from this game are around the same level of difficulty, then you should go for it on your own! (and remember, at least one of us here is willing to help smooth out any flaws)

Another thing you can do is to collaborate with another person. I'm sure you'll learn along the way from that too

MattB

Zeila, please don't take me wrong, I'm not giving up. What I tried to say was that I don't forget I'm a starter, maybe I picked a piece of music to arrange that was a bit  :P over my head. It might have sounded like quite an ambitiuos request coming from a beginner, but I'm having fun and enjoying it, and with your help I feel I can't fail. Support from Onionleaf and NocturneOfShadow is highly valued as well. You are Maestros to me, people whom I admire.
Now, regarding the music sheet.... Wow thank you, the first part sounds like heaven's music. Editting and formatting also look great, altament pro. If I get some time this week I will try to adjust (?) and finish the last part. I'll pay close attention to your remarks and also the formatting guidelines and rules.

Thanks for your patience and support!
I'll be around soon, hope to see you again!

MattB

Well, I am not sure if this arrangement is all completed but so long everything seems to be sounding right... I think it is somehow reaching its completion.
The second part was very challenging, (actually the whole piece was). I really don't know how I got this far, but sure Zeila's help has a lot of credit for it!
Well, I tried to finish the last part but sure needs revision. I would really appreciate help, hopefully for the last time.

Here is what I got

Here is MUS file:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/uxb56oeaetif2z8/beansbeans.mus?dl=0

I thought it'd be a good idea to post the original tune again, it's far behind on my first post. It is "Kid Klown in Night Mayor World - Beanstalk" AKA "Mickey Mouse III -Yume Fuusen- Beanstalk"

This is it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GndZGXlU9Nc

If you have time, please bail me out! ;D
Best regards to you all and huge thanks for all!!!

Zeila

It looks like you're getting the hang of it now! There are still some errors, but it's better than before

- In m4, there should be a half rest instead of a quarter rest and the repeated A on the last two beats
demonstration
[close]
- I think you changed m7 back to the way you had it before, but it should still be as shown in the picture. Once again (well, I said this for beat 1, but it really applies to all beats), if you ever get stuck with rhythms, try to pinpoint what note is on what beat. You should try to prioritize placing notes on the down beats (if there actually are any). Slowing down the song and counting (1 and, or 1 e and a; whichever is appropriate). It might be hard to get a metronome in sync with the song, but you could try using that as well
demonstration

(it might also be a B natural instead of C flat, so be warned)
[close]
- In m9, you had the right rhythm (sort of), but there was an extra note, and some of them were wrong. It should just be three eighth notes instead of two sixteenth notes and two eighth notes
demonstration
[close]
- In m10, the C#'s should probably be Db's
- In m11, I'm not entirely sure if the Db should be a C# since there are C naturals in the bass clef, but I was just letting you know my thoughts about it
- In the last measure, the melody should start on beat 2 instead of the and of beat 1, and since it's ascending chromatically, sharps are the way to go
demonstration
[close]

Overall, there are still some note length values that should be changed (for example, the C in m15 (RH) should be a whole note). In due time, if you arrange enough, you'll eventually get much better at it. It's great that you're actually enjoying the process, too! If you ever want more help, it's probably better for you to make your own arrangement thread (in the correct board) so that people can post advice there. When you're done fixing it up, you could also try submitting it to the site too (if you weren't going to already)

MattB

Hi Zeila! I finally got round to correct the arrangement by your great remarks, I followed them thoroughly (and I take my hat off to you, you're awesome!).
Regarding further corrections, I will keep on working on the lenght values of the notes and rhythm until I get them down, but I'm not sure if that will be possible in the very short term. The process of trying to make an arrangement for "Beanstalk" shows that I still need a lot of practice and study. Nevertheless, if I manage to make it sound right, I will be more than glad to submit it to NSM, it would actually be an honour if it were accepted!
About opening a new thread next time, you are right. Initially, this was intended to be a simple request but I got enthusiastic, and with the encouraging comments, I decided to give it a chance. It was tough work but sure good because with your help I ended up learning a lot!

Thank you very much for everything!
And the best to all!

Onionleaf

I'm so happy to see you've managed to make so much progress with this arrangement. :) I'm sorry I haven't been around lately to answer questions, but Zeila has done a fantastic job so far! It can be tough work, I still remember how awfully challenging my very first arrangements were.

Let us know how you're going whenever you feel like sharing your work. ;)

MattB

Hi there!
Onionleaf, you are awesome, thank you for all your kindness, it is so very much valued.
I have been absent for a while but I am always grateful for all your help and support and I will never forget it.
Lately, I've been trying to study more about note length values but I had little time and couldn't correct much of the arrangement, but still not giving up. In fact, I am thinking of opening a new thread for another "Kid Klown" tune arrangement (as a personal arrangement this time) after "Beanstalk" is completed.
I know that with the NSM assistance, failure is not an option  ;)

Here is the latest  MUS file:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/so7gbusleqwstxs/beansbeans.mus?dl=0

May I have some help to finish it up?

To all the staff and NSM people, my best wishes and regards!

(Also special aknowledgement and thanks to Zeila and NocturneOfShadow)

Onionleaf

Heey, congrats on completing the arrangement! Sorry I wasn't much help in the end, but it looks like you did a fantastic job with minimal help from us. I hope this will be a start of a new musical journey for you! :)

MattB

Hi there, pal!
You sure were of much help and, to be honest, I wouldn't have been able to complete this work without you.
I'm aware that this thread has turned out to to be too extense already but, by now, it is my only way to have one of my favourites NES tunes arranged. You know, I'm a starter at music and NSM is the best site I know to get cool videogame music arrangements.
Many times, I felt like a bit clumsy and a lot of a nuisance to the site people but you backed me up and I will endlessly thank you.
I hope to see you around again, you are an awesome friend.

All the best!

MattB.

mikey

I would have loved to help you more as well but I felt that onionleaf and zeila were much more qualified.  I do hope that I encouraged you to complete the arrangement as much as possible by yourself, because it'll be really cool to see you turn into an expert pianist and arranger.  Good luck :)
unmotivated

MattB

Hey there, buddy!
I am very glad that you've written because you were also essential support in the arrangement and I would like to hugely thank you!
It might take some time for me until I get to be such an extraordinary arranger as Zeila, Onionleaf and you are but I will work hard, and I will never forget your help.
I wish you all the best ;)
Hope to see you again soon!