[3DS] Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Gates to Infinity - "Stompstump Peak" by Bespinben

Started by Zeta, July 07, 2016, 07:19:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeta

Submission Information:

Series: Pokémon
Game: Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Gates to Infinity
Console: Nintendo 3DS
Title: Stompstump Peak
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: Bespinben

[attachment deleted by admin]

cashwarrior1

I love this song!

In measures 9 and 11, wouldn't it be easier to play the 2nds with your thumb/one finger instead of two?

Bespinben

Fingering is all about context: jumps, pivot points, note repetitions, passes and crosses... The same dyad exists in both beat 1 and beat 2 of measure 9, yet I suggest different fingerings for the two (one of which does exactly what you mentioned, the "two-note thumb combo") -- because of context.
Quote from: Nebbles on July 04, 2015, 12:05:12 PM
Someone beat Bespinben to making PMD music?! GASP!

MLF for Chatroom Mod next Tuesday

cashwarrior1

Pianist Da Sootopolis

Why not do the two note thumb combo for both? You're jumping from a G octave to a f-g dyad; it takes far less movement to hit with your thumb than to get 2 and 3 all the way over there. That's how I would do it anyway; you can still get a leggiero sound that way (the majority of the "light" characteristic you think of with piano playing comes from the space between notes in any case).
what is shitpost

Bespinben

The thumb on the upper octave G serves as an anchor between the two positions, allowing the 2 and 3 fingers to prep themselves ahead of time to cross over the thumb. This also prevents the problem of jumping the thumb between an interval of an octave in the timeframe of a 16th. The only way I  can find to use what you suggest would be to finger the octaves with 5-2 instead of 5-1, thus allowing the thumb to prep for the forthcoming dyad.

Pianist Da Sootopolis

Fair. Not how I would play it (I often get the dreaded wrist twist of death when I do so), but I can see the reasoning behind it.
what is shitpost

Olimar12345

Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

Bespinben

Och, aye! Wasnae that the auld blasted updater chat? Nay, I dinnae ken. Ye'll not see a canny auld hand like meself askin'.

Zeta