Series: Super Mario
Game: Super Mario Galaxy 2
Console: Nintendo Wii
Title: Yoshi Star Galaxy
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: Sebastian

Replacement Information:

Links to Existing Sheet: MUS | MIDI | PDF
Replacement Type: Challenge (new arranger)

[attachment deleted by admin]

Sebastian

nutella511

This is so much better than the existing sheet. The old sheet completely lacks any harmonies whatsoever. Great job!!

Sebastian

daj

Yay! Love this track <3

You've got a fantastic arrangement there that's simple and ultra-effective. I like it ^^

One thing though - and you can disagree with this btw - I'm not too sure octaves get your desired effect. The sound in the original is pretty tall, but in an octave the bottom note naturally sounds a little stronger (especially in the right hand) and that doesn't capture the wide, but sharp sound of the trumpet that well.

Otherwise, fantastic work, bookmarking this for future reading :)

Bespinben

Real solid.

In m. 13-28, there's backing rhythm guitar that you might consider implementing, if you so desire. That might spice up things for dajwxp, instead of just octaves ;)
Quote from: Nebbles on July 04, 2015, 12:05:12 PM
Someone beat Bespinben to making PMD music?! GASP!

MLF for Chatroom Mod next Tuesday

daj

Quote from: Bespinben on July 04, 2016, 01:26:26 AMReal solid.

In m. 13-28, there's backing rhythm guitar that you might consider implementing, if you so desire. That might spice up things for dajwxp, instead of just octaves ;)

Mmhmm! And if we could score down the Hammond organ at the return of the first theme too that would be awesome :)

Sebastian

Quote from: Bespinben on July 04, 2016, 01:26:26 AMReal solid.

Quote from: dajwxp on July 04, 2016, 04:02:53 AMMmhmm! And if we could score down the Hammond organ at the return of the first theme too that would be awesome :)
Ah.
The backing rhythm guitar and Hammond organ, yes. Naturally, as I do with all my arrangements, use 2 methods to decide what voices to incorporate.
1. How many voices can I add without making it too hard to play or not fun to play?
2. Which voices will give this arrangement the fullest sound while making it a fun playing experience?
I decide what voices to incorporate based on these 2 reasons.

So, I could incorporate those voices, but will it be pretty? Will it chase away those that have this song near to their hearts because it's too hard? Will it be more of a "death waltz"?
I'm obviously speaking in extreme terms here, but I'm trying to make a point haha.

I could add those voices, but I'm afraid it will lose that simplicity that it currently has. Remember, we're arranging for piano, not orchestra ;)

daj

Quote from: Sebastian on July 04, 2016, 07:31:38 AM1. How many voices can I add without making it too hard to play or not fun to play?
2. Which voices will give this arrangement the fullest sound while making it a fun playing experience?
I decide what voices to incorporate based on these 2 reasons.

So, I could incorporate those voices, but will it be pretty? Will it chase away those that have this song near to their hearts because it's too hard? Will it be more of a "death waltz"?
I'm obviously speaking in extreme terms here, but I'm trying to make a point haha.

Yes! Absolutely. I love you now.

When you're arranging such a snazzy track like this one, it makes very little sense to over-complicate, because it takes away the fun. I totally agree with you on that front, and I think it's the right mindset to take into this art ^^

That being said, I'd like to put forth a little point about contrast. We think about structure first - this piece is organised based on melodic ideas, and we've got three pretty-ish distinct ones: the four-bar "head" at bars 9-12 (and at the ending), the sixteen bars of "solo" from bars 13-28 and the quick eight-bars "bridge" from bars 29-36. You don't have to agree with the way my mind naturally organises this piece, btw! :)

Erm, right now there are two little concerns about the way you've done it:
1. You've chosen to use octaves throughout, aaand while the original is doubled in octaves, the way the piano naturally sounds doesn't allow for as convincing an effect.
2. There's no distinction between the "head" sections and "solo" sections.

With regards to the first point, mmmm you could make a stand for using octaves. You know, because it's the way it really is. Which is also why I said that you didn't have to agree with me on this.

But since Bespinben brought it up, I really do feel that you could score just one (or maybe two) more parts just for that solo section. If you throw in the Hammond organ counter in the middle line and reduce the melody to the top line (one voice), I think you gain the best of both worlds - your melody bites a little more, which better represents a trumpet/bugle/cornet/idontthinkitsasax, and more importantly, you've got contrast with the "head" section.

I think there's a need for contrast because your bass line is pretty constant throughout, and there's no better way to distinctly separate two sections than with changes in texture! ^^

Just my point of view! With all that I said above, I still think you've done a great job with this arrangement. It's just pretty close to me (because it's hilarious, come on) and I kinda want to  see it come to fruition as awesomely as possible. These are my viewpoints though, and you can choose not to work with them! They're just suggestions above all.

Much cheers! ^^

and either way i'll probably quick-learn this once it's accepted so

edit: I gave the edit a shot! Apologies for, um, bastardising your score ^^;
Made a bunch of changes in bars 13-16 and 25-28! So you get to see the transition from the "head" to the "solo" and from the "solo" to the "bridge", as well as to compare with your original. I roughly notated the Hammond organ part, basically.

What'cha think? ^^ This basically summarises my suggestion~

link!

Sebastian

Hmmm, I see what you're saying. Nice example! I think I'd like to leave the octaves in and keep it as is for this particular sheet though.
Again, thank you so much for your feedback and hard work concerning this sheet! I'm very very grateful.

Zeta