[DELETED] [GCN] Pokémon XD: Gale of Darkness - "Greevil Redeemed (Two Pianos)" by Cutup

Started by Zeta, June 17, 2016, 05:43:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeta

Submission Information:

Series: Pokémon
Game: Pokémon XD: Gale of Darkness
Console: Nintendo GameCube
Title: Greevil Redeemed
Instrumentation Two Pianos
Arranger: Cutup

Pianist Da Sootopolis

Congrats on submitting your first arrangement!
First, always post a link to the song you arranged.

Now, on to the arrangement itself.
Formatting:
- You need to take a look at the The Formatting Guidelines and update your title, subtitle, composer and arranger information accordingly. In addition, you need to add the website's URL and the copyright info at the bottom. You also need an opening dynamic, a tempo marking (preferably with a musical indication)
There's a template already set up lying around somewhere, too :)
- Your pedaling marks are far too cramped, and they mess with the dynamics as well. Instead of specific pedal markings, I would just put "con pedale", and let the performers decide how much pedal is appropriate.
- After that, bring the individual grand staves closer together and then bring everything else to fit together as well.
- Also, the other issue you'll probably want to fix is the system spacing. You've got a perpetually uneven number of bars in each line, and it's crowding the arrangement awfully. Some lines have 6 measures, some have 7, and the last one only has 1 measure.
That's all I can think of for formatting issues at the moment.
On to the arranging!
Overall, it's not horrible, especially for a first attempt. I haven't gone in and proof listened through each passage, but it looks solid to my eyes.
- That said, I think you could make this work as a single piano arrangement. Most of the time your pianos are doing the same exact thing, and the slight variations could be easily incorporated into the arrangement by a use of layering.
- First thing I'm noticing is accidentals. Your key is C# minor, 4 sharps, but your accidentals are almost exclusively flats. With the given harmonies, my guess is that sharps are probably gonna be your best bet.
The rest, I'm sure, will come up as the submission moves through. I haven't taken an in depth look at the .mus file yet, but I'll be sure to stay involved with this one!
what is shitpost

Cutup

Okay, yeah, uh, about the formatting, I think that's as good as I can do because I only have Finale Notepad and there's not as many formatting options. Also, I was really bothered by the tempo marking and the pedal stuff, because in the PDF the pedal marks were cramped, but they looked perfectly fine in the Finale file, and I couldn't fix it no matter what I did so I was thinking about using con pedale instead. Don't know why I didn't do that.

So, onto my main concern. There's a cello/low strings part underneath the violin/high strings melody the second time, but it's kind of in the same range as the left hand part and I can't make a split part on one line. My original transposition was a GarageBand MIDI and I didn't know how to put them together since I have both limited software and source material.
"I want you troopers to remember we are shoulder-to-shoulder on the front lines, and sometimes we may quarrel, but we are united!"

Pianist Da Sootopolis

what is shitpost

Bespinben

The need for a duet seems minimal given the simplicity of the piece. Your choice, but try giving a shot at making a solo piano arrangement ;)
Quote from: Nebbles on July 04, 2015, 12:05:12 PM
Someone beat Bespinben to making PMD music?! GASP!

MLF for Chatroom Mod next Tuesday

Pianist Da Sootopolis

Quote from: Bespinben on June 20, 2016, 04:48:36 PMThe need for a duet seems minimal given the simplicity of the piece. Your choice, but try giving a shot at making a solo piano arrangement ;)
Quote from: Pianist Da Sootopolis on June 17, 2016, 07:35:30 PM- That said, I think you could make this work as a single piano arrangement. Most of the time your pianos are doing the same exact thing, and the slight variations could be easily incorporated into the arrangement by a use of layering.
<3
what is shitpost

Bespinben

Just for purposes of housekeeping, I'm going to tuck this sheet into the Archives. Congratz on the first arrangement, and I hope to see the final version soon!
Quote from: Nebbles on July 04, 2015, 12:05:12 PM
Someone beat Bespinben to making PMD music?! GASP!

MLF for Chatroom Mod next Tuesday