[DELETED] [3DS] Pokémon Super Mystery Dungeon - "A Little Kerfuffle" by Bespinben

Started by Zeta, June 04, 2016, 08:55:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeta

Submission Information:

Series: Pokémon
Game: Pokémon Super Mystery Dungeon
Console: Nintendo 3DS
Title: A Little Kerfuffle
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: Bespinben

Bespinben

guess it's just so good that it must have scared away the acceptance squad
Quote from: Nebbles on July 04, 2015, 12:05:12 PM
Someone beat Bespinben to making PMD music?! GASP!

MLF for Chatroom Mod next Tuesday

Zeta

Olimar12345

Not even up for two days... Well, here are some things that raised my eyebrows:

-Why are the chromatically descending thirds in measure 3 spelled with sharps/naturals and not flats?
-Is there a reason that the slur in the LH of measure 8 is underneath the notes and not above? Looks like it should be above...
-Although your copyright info isn't incorrect, the format for which you've displayed it is. Here we use the format <publisher> (c) <year>, not (c) <publisher> <year>. No.9 in the guidelines.

Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

Olimar12345

Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

Sebastian

Quote from: Olimar12345 on June 06, 2016, 09:00:35 AM-Why are the chromatically descending thirds in measure 3 spelled with sharps/naturals and not flats?
This stuck out to me in particular, so I thought I'd respond. I would assume he did that for readability. In my opinion, it'd be easier to read (accidental-wise) if it was notated that way. Again, that's just me.
Another reason, perhaps, would probably be for the intervals. In my opinion, they sound more like 3rds than 2nds. If they were notated with flats (instead of what he has now), it'd look something roughly like this:
Spoiler
[close]
I think the current way it is looks fine; however, if it's incorrect, I guess they will have to be changed. I can't really speak for Ben. Just sharing my thoughts on this issue.

Quote from: Olimar12345 on June 06, 2016, 09:00:35 AM-Is there a reason that the slur in the LH of measure 8 is underneath the notes and not above? Looks like it should be above...
I just quickly wanted to mention that Finale does this by default. I just deleted the slur and replaced it and it put it below the notes by default.

Olimar12345

-Measure three's chromatic descent can be left as-is, at the compromise of at least changing the B-D# to be Cb-Eb. There is nothing wrong with doing that.
-The copyright info is still a definite must-change. It is beside the point if you have submitted things like this in the past, this is how it should be and what keeps things uniform around here.
-The slur between the two eighth notes at the end of bar 8 (LH) should to be written above the notes. There is absolutely no collision issues by doing that. The slur underneath the notes in the previous bar is fine since you would have to maneuver around the crescendo, but that is not an issue in this place.
-I'm pretty sure that the Bb on beat 1 of measure 9 is supposed to be an A, double check that, would you?
-I know you were talking in another submission about using size as a sort of graphic notation style for volume, but it does not work here. The notes are so small in measure 4 that I have trouble even telling what they are. You're sacrificing the ability to even see them, which risks wrong notes on the performer (I didn't even see those articulations until the second or third time, after being zoomed way in).

Altissimo

Quote from: Olimar12345 on June 08, 2016, 09:59:38 AM-I know you were talking in another submission about using size as a sort of graphic notation style for volume, but it does not work here. The notes are so small in measure 4 that I have trouble even telling what they are. You're sacrificing the ability to even see them, which risks wrong notes on the performer (I didn't even see those articulations until the second or third time, after being zoomed way in).

I'd argue it's not even necessary because that measure is clearly a place where regular dynamic markings can be used. In the other submission, the notes in question were at least cloistered tightly enough together that regular dynamic markings would not visually work. In this case it's just a solid measure of ppp.

Bespinben

In this case it's not functioning as a graphic representation of pianissimo, it's a cue note, being that it simply DOES NOT exist in the OST and put it there to fill in he sonic gap that would normally be filled with percussion. Completely different application than what was in my other submission.

The Bb in m. 9 is ABSOLUTELY just that. It's one of those rare b9 intervals between the 5th and b13 of the V/i. I know exactly what I hear.

Olimar12345

Ben, when you see cues in empty measures like this, they are usually accompanied by whole rests underneath or above them, and the rests included in the cues' layer are the same size as the notes. Cues or not, you need to size them up; even as cues they're still too small in my opinion.

I'm away from a computer and can't listen to the sound file, so I'll take your word on the Bb. Thank you again for double checking that for me.

As for the other things I listed?

Bespinben

Right on the money Dude.

Okay, let's humor this. I size them up. Then what? Problem solved? Oh dang, wait, now it looks like part of the original composition, whatever will we do... oh I know, let's use a different convention normally reserved for finger overlap! That'll get the point across yeah?

No notation solution is without drawback. What I already have and what I concocted above are equally weighted with pros/cons. But don't worry, just leave it to the undeclared major super-senior general ed student to figure that one out for you education/theory/performance/composition majors.

Quote from: Olimar12345 on June 08, 2016, 02:10:52 PMI'm away from a computer and can't listen to the sound file, so I'll take your word on the Bb. Thank you again for double checking that for me.

I didn't have anything to listen to either while I was at work. How did I know then after you asked for a re-check? Because I thought the same EXACT thing when I first was arranging the passage back in April. I've already gone through all this already champ. I've already asked myself these questions.

Nothing personal towards you Olimar. In fact, you've been exceptionally level-headed despite my fuming. I'm just really fed up with things IRL right now, and unfortunately you have the misfortune of being lumped in with the types of people I'm most particularly displeased with.

cashwarrior1

I was having trouble wondering if this was anger, sarcasm, or joking... guess it was all three?

Dude

cashwarrior1