News:

Rest in pepperoni, Mario Mario, 1981 - 2021
He will be missed by all, except for me! WARIO, NUMBER ONE!

Main Menu

[NDS] Golden Sun: Dark Dawn - "Apollo Ascent" by Onionleaf

Started by Zeta, May 17, 2016, 06:34:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeta

Submission Information:

Series: Golden Sun
Game: Golden Sun: Dark Dawn
Console: Nintendo DS
Title: Apollo Ascent
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: Onionleaf

[attachment deleted by admin]

Zeila

I like it

- For the time signature change, you could put l'istesso tempo
- I personally think this fits 6/8 more, but that's your choice
- In m4, that's an odd place to put a decrescendo imo. It looks like you intended it (and makes more sense for it) to be for the last half of the measure
- m7-8, the low note changes (C for m7, D for 1st half of m8, A for 2nd half)
- I think you should put pedal markings from m21-28
- If you're going to have different dynamics in m29, you should put the RH (mf) on top of the staff

Onionleaf

Hi Zeila, thanks for the feedback. :)

Quote from: Zeila on June 03, 2016, 06:10:44 PM- For the time signature change, you could put l'istesso tempo

Oh I see, that's a new term for me. Would this be a suitable situation to add this expressive text? I read a definition of it online, and it was a bit confusing. The way I interpreted it was that the beat is kept at the same tempo, rather than the individual notes? If that is the case, then if the time signature changes from compound to simple time, won't it mean that the eighth notes will be played slower (because there are now 2 of them per beat instead of 3)? Ah, I hope that made sense. I added the text anyway, but if you could explain in your own words what it means and what it's used for, I would be very grateful.

Quote- I personally think this fits 6/8 more, but that's your choice
I see what you mean, that third beat in each bar is rather strong, isn't it? I leaned more towards 12/8 because it creates longer phrases, the tempo is rather fast and in this way, the bars follow a question-answer pattern. But I'll see how it looks in 6/8 tomorrow - Finale reacts badly to a time signature change when all notes are already in place, hence why I'm leaving the task until later. :P

Quote- In m4, that's an odd place to put a decrescendo imo. It looks like you intended it (and makes more sense for it) to be for the last half of the measure
Makes sense! I shortened that decres. down.

Quote- m7-8, the low note changes (C for m7, D for 1st half of m8, A for 2nd half)
You're right! I worked on this arrangement a couple of years ago and worked from a MIDI file, ugh, can't believe I missed that.

Quote- I think you should put pedal markings from m21-28
Good point, can't really play that left hand without using the pedal.

Quote- If you're going to have different dynamics in m29, you should put the RH (mf) on top of the staff
Gotcha!

I'm so glad there are talented people here who can pick up on all the necessary details. :)

Zeila

Quote from: Onionleaf on June 04, 2016, 04:32:33 AMHi Zeila, thanks for the feedback. :)
hi, and np! :3

Quote from: Onionleaf on June 04, 2016, 04:32:33 AMOh I see, that's a new term for me. Would this be a suitable situation to add this expressive text? I read a definition of it online, and it was a bit confusing. The way I interpreted it was that the beat is kept at the same tempo, rather than the individual notes? If that is the case, then if the time signature changes from compound to simple time, won't it mean that the eighth notes will be played slower (because there are now 2 of them per beat instead of 3)? Ah, I hope that made sense. I added the text anyway, but if you could explain in your own words what it means and what it's used for, I would be very grateful.
I'm sorry but after looking at it again, it isn't applicable to this particular song. I think I counted it like a 3/4 (for every 6 eighth notes) from the very beginning or something. You still need to put an appropriate tempo marking though (quarter = 120)

For future reference I think what you said is right, but from my own understanding, I think it's similar to the marking (quarter = dotted quarter) or (quarter = quarter). A rough example: let's say a song is in 6/8, and then is switched to 2/4. It would be like changing from triplets to eighth notes. In this case, only the subdivision changes. Another (easier) example is if you switch from a 3/4 section to a 4/4 section. The tempo would still be the same, but not the number of beats per measure. To notate it, I'm not sure if whether writing it italicized or bolded matters (probably do bolded just in case), but I the L should actually be capitalized. Also, I think you'd only have to notate it once in the case of the sections repeating since it would be implied (someone else can confirm/deconfirm)

Quote from: Onionleaf on June 04, 2016, 04:32:33 AMI see what you mean, that third beat in each bar is rather strong, isn't it? I leaned more towards 12/8 because it creates longer phrases, the tempo is rather fast and in this way, the bars follow a question-answer pattern. But I'll see how it looks in 6/8 tomorrow - Finale reacts badly to a time signature change when all notes are already in place, hence why I'm leaving the task until later. :P
I'm not sure what you mean by longer phrases when writing it in 6/8 would mean more measures per phrase (although the actual phrase itself is still the same time), but sounds good!

Quote from: Onionleaf on June 04, 2016, 04:32:33 AMI'm so glad there are talented people here who can pick up on all the necessary details. :)
I certainly can't pick up all the details, but it helps! I've been learning some things from other people here as well, and I'm sure you are too ;)

Onionleaf

I decided to go with 6/8 how you suggested initially, as I felt it does fit the original track more (and phrases are often-times 4 bars long anyway). I also added a (eighth = eighth) tempo marking where the time signature changes, I think that way it's more clear as at what speed that section should be played.

Erm, I think that's everything I wanted to mention... Does anything else need fixing?

Onionleaf

3rd page bump, I suppose? (I'm always lurking around NSM anyways, so will be ready to fix this up whenever, no rush)

Zeta

This submission has been accepted by Bespinben.

~Zeta, your friendly NSM-Bot