[GCN] Star Fox Assault - "Space Battleground" by David Sylvester

Started by Zeta, May 16, 2016, 10:45:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DS

Thanks! But... where da file at :P

Quote from: JDMEK5 on May 27, 2016, 10:40:35 PMOnly thing I have to bring up is possibly the playability of the RH in measure 22, beat 4. Those fast octaves are a little past anyone's reach methinks.

I mean, I can play them sometimes, but not always at tempo, so maybe that run could just be single octave? I'm thinking just to take the lower notes out.

JDMEK5

Quote from: DS on May 28, 2016, 03:50:25 AMThanks! But... where da file at :P
Hahahahahaha I totally forgot to post it before deleting it. XD Give me a second here and I'll redo it.

Quote from: DS on May 28, 2016, 03:50:25 AMI mean, I can play them sometimes, but not always at tempo, so maybe that run could just be single octave? I'm thinking just to take the lower notes out.
Yeah, that sounds good. I mean, it's a drag, but few people in the world would be able to pull that off well.

EDIT: Here it is.
"Today's goal strongly involves not dying. Because nobody likes to wake up dead."

My Arrangements
Finale Version(s): Finale Notepad 2012, Finale 2012, Finale v26

DS

DS

Sebastian

Quote from: DS on June 04, 2016, 09:45:34 AMBump 4 new updaters  (once again, congratz)
Lol, I know right?

I am not able to check the notes for accuracy right now, but there are some visual things I'd like to point out:

- I'm not sure if you have the full version of Finale or not, but if you happen to, go to the Tie Tool and move the ties in M. 37 up until they are no longer clashing with the notes. The Tie Tool is under Special Tools.
- The accents are clashing with the volta bracket in M. 19 & 21.
- This is an optional suggestion, but I would recommend a 7/4 Time Signature from M. 9-16. Also from M. 23-28. This would cut down on the amount of Time changes and would, in my opinion, look sharper.
- You may want to rearrange the measures a little bit or diminish the margins. It looks somewhat cramped as it is.

Looks like a good arrangement! I'll go ahead and check the notes later.

DS

Yeah, I only have Finale Notepad as I mainly use Musescore to write sheet music. But thanks for pointing those spots out!

Latios212

Here

Fixed clashing things and re-spaced things a bit. Also removed the low octave notes in 22 - that seems to have been forgotten.

Quote from: Sebastian on June 04, 2016, 01:04:32 PM- This is an optional suggestion, but I would recommend a 7/4 Time Signature from M. 9-16. Also from M. 23-28. This would cut down on the amount of Time changes and would, in my opinion, look sharper.
Quote from: DS on May 18, 2016, 08:27:40 PMI thought about that, but I feel like having the 3/4 to 4/4 switch more clearly articulates the accents on the downbeat of each and helps to make the phrasing clearer
That said, I personally do think 7/4 would be nicer. Fine either way though.
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Sebastian

Quote from: DS on June 04, 2016, 01:58:23 PMYeah, I only have Finale Notepad as I mainly use Musescore to write sheet music. But thanks for pointing those spots out!
Whoops, my bad. I should've read the thread to see if you had notepad or not.

DS

Cool, so I updated the submission with Latios's new version. Layout looks a lot cleaner now, thanks :D

Quote from: Latios212 on June 04, 2016, 02:12:14 PMThat said, I personally do think 7/4 would be nicer. Fine either way though.

Hmmm... you know what, I gotta go now, but I'll see how that looks when I get back.

Bespinben

There's actually some missing notes in the RH chords at m. 3 and m.7. Listen REALLY carefully. It's not the same as m. 1 and m. 5.
Quote from: Nebbles on July 04, 2015, 12:05:12 PM
Someone beat Bespinben to making PMD music?! GASP!

MLF for Chatroom Mod next Tuesday

DS

Quote from: Bespinben on June 04, 2016, 04:51:03 PMListen REALLY carefully.

http://imgur.com/COUFzlg I tried XD

I literally played the things right on top of each other, tried adjusting the EQ, and even pitch shifted it up (which is a surprisingly useful technique for finding notes) but I still couldn't find anything other than a low D overtone on the LH ostinato. Do you mean that trumpet D in the chord? I'm pretty sure it's in both stabs...

Bespinben

It's nice to see that you appreciate the art of audio manipulation as I do ;D

This is going to sound very distorted, but I tried to highlight the different notes in the chord stabs as clearly as possible:

Stab 1: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/35209091/perfect%205th%20strike.mp3
Stab 2: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/35209091/phrygian%20strike.mp3

You should be able to hear that in stab 2, there is a very audible Eb. Because I'd argue this derives from the parallel Phyrgian minor, you could also add in an Ab to round out the harmony.

DS

Oh, I see what you did there. At first it was hard to tell, but then once you told me it was the Eb, I took the audio and EQ-ed it once to isolate Eb 4 (https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1RmRwKRXmElS09ETV9ybDdISk0/view?usp=sharing) and once for Eb 3 (https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1RmRwKRXmElQ1h6M1pXcUlZRWs/view?usp=sharing). Basically it seems that on the second chord of the double hits there's a string Eb in there, so maybe I should just take this note:

And make it an Eb?

Bespinben

I was thinking more along the lines of this:

While it is uncommon, there are a few occasions where a flat 9th interval would actually be preferable to a major 7th. In this case, to accent the dissonance.

Bespinben