News:

We seem to have trapped one of the mods within the forum's code... and we're not sure how to get him out. Oh well, he'll figure it out!

Main Menu

[WiiU] Star Fox Zero - "Staff Credits 2" by David Sylvester

Started by Zeta, May 15, 2016, 05:45:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeta

Submission Information:

Series: Star Fox
Game: Star Fox Zero
Console: Wii U
Title: Staff Credits 2
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: David Sylvester

[attachment deleted by admin]

[attachment deleted by admin]

DS

DS

Just realized there are a few mistakes:
1. "Arranged by" should be italics
2. Forget "www" in the Ninsheetmusic URL
3. I could make some of the left/right hand arpeggios have different so as to make them easier, I didnt actually get to play this on piano until after I submitted it :P I'll fix those later tonight, but if anyone else has any other critique that would be cool

Latios212

Hi, welcome to NSM! I can't remember the last time we put any Star Fox up...

I don't have the time to check over everything musically right now, but this looks really solid! Couple of quick things:
- The text formatting on the .mus file is a little off, but anyone around with Finale will be able to help you out.
- I'd spend a little time experimenting with clef changes/cross-staff notation. It's definitely not bad as is right now, but I think some parts could be written a little clearer.
- Game title should be "Star Fox Zero", just as you have in the submission title, without the colon.
- You can change your arranger name by editing your forum profile so your submission will match your sheet (not your forum username).
- Difficulty's not a problem here. Looks perfectly playable to me.
- I think there's a few chords that should be rolled that aren't currently notated to do so.
- Should there be a repeat sign at the end?
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

DS

"I can't remember the last time we put any Star Fox up..."
IKR, Star Fox music is so criminally underrated :P No one has even done Space Battleground, maybe I'll write down my arrangment of that next...

As fixes to your critiques:
1) I originally made the sheet music in Musescore, then exported it to a MusicXML to open in Finale notepad (which I have no clue how to use) and make the .mus file, and I don't really know what to do from there with it.
2) I tried some cross-staffing, does that look a bit better?
3) Fixed
4) Will do
5) I just changed a few things, you'll see what I mean when you look at it
6) Like which chords? When I listened to the original only the two chords that I put as rolled really stood out as being rolled
7) Technically the song only plays through once in the credits sequence

DS

JDMEK5

Here, try this file.

Here's a log of everything I fixed/changed:
-Fixed formatting at beginning of sheet
-Eliminated "Pno." for all subsequent staves
-Added appropriate copyright info
-Tried opening key of E Mixolydian.
-Added slurs in measures 1 and 2 to indicate phrases and clarify the cross-staving in measure 2 inconspicuously.
-Altered note values in measure 3. Let me know if you want this back to your original.
-Implemented different layers in measures 5 and 7.
-Added tied grace note in measure 7 to provide that little bounce heard in the original.
-Lowered stem of half note in measure 8 to match the line.
-Added lower notes in beat 4 RH of measure 10 to show melodic counterpoint.
-Rolled chord in measure 11. This is to resolve what Latios was saying.
-Altered notation in measure 12 to distinguish background runs from melodic line. Added fingering for optimal LH negotiation and the dashed ties to account for the tone in the original.
-Altered note values in measure 15 as well as revised run at the end of the measure.
-Extended the beam in beat 4 LH of measure 16 cuz it looks so spiffin'.
-Revamped the notation in measures 15-17 to provide fingering as well as a clear indication of the continuation of the run through -the entirety of each measure.
-Resized everything to make it fit better.
-Spaced out measures and systems to finish.

And then of course it goes without saying that I altered some clefs in certain places.
"Today's goal strongly involves not dying. Because nobody likes to wake up dead."

My Arrangements
Finale Version(s): Finale Notepad 2012, Finale 2012, Finale v26

DS

Quote from: JDMEK5 on May 16, 2016, 05:05:16 PMHere, try this file.

Here's a log of everything I fixed/changed:
-Altered notation in measure 12 to distinguish background runs from melodic line. Added fingering for optimal LH negotiation and the dashed ties to account for the tone in the original.
-Altered note values in measure 15 as well as revised run at the end of the measure.
-Extended the beam in beat 4 LH of measure 16 cuz it looks so spiffin'.
-Revamped the notation in measures 15-17 to provide fingering as well as a clear indication of the continuation of the run through -the entirety of each measure.
Oh wow, that looks pretty spiffin' XD I just couldn't figure out how to do some of that formatting stuff, so I like what you did with it! The only thing is that personally I finger runs at measures 12-17 the way I had it on the second sheet, but your way looks like it could work too. Thanks!

P.S. I just realized you forgot to put a D# at the top of the run at measure 16

JDMEK5

Quote from: DS on May 16, 2016, 07:00:03 PMOh wow, that looks pretty spiffin' XD I just couldn't figure out how to do some of that formatting stuff, so I like what you did with it! The only thing is that personally I finger runs at measures 12-17 the way I had it on the second sheet, but your way looks like it could work too. Thanks!

P.S. I just realized you forgot to put a D# at the top of the run at measure 16
Ah, I'll revisit the aforementioned fingering. And I'll also fix that D#. I missed that in the whole key changing thing.
"Today's goal strongly involves not dying. Because nobody likes to wake up dead."

My Arrangements

JDMEK5

The link I originally gave should be updated with the D#. If it's any condolence with the fingering, I spent an hour and a half trying out tons of different options and what I put down was the result for that experimentation. Ultimately it's your sheet, but this is what I found to be most effective with ease, sound, and touch.

*I'm double posting for the bump*

My Arrangements

Pianist Da Sootopolis

M. 7; it's just two sixteenths, not a triplet. (Beat 2.5).
Good work though!
what is shitpost

JDMEK5

Quote from: Pianist Da Sootopolis on May 19, 2016, 05:19:59 PMM. 7; it's just two sixteenths, not a triplet. (Beat 2.5).
Sorry, but I have to disagree with you. The timing of the attacks is that of a triplet rather than straight 16ths and though it's faint, the third note is audible. I clearly hear all three notes although the third is quite a bit quieter because of the way it was actually played.

My Arrangements

DS

Quote from: JDMEK5 on May 19, 2016, 02:55:43 PMThe link I originally gave should be updated with the D#.
I tried my best at Finale Notepad and managed to add some dynamics to the thing: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1RmRwKRXmEleUZNczV5djFXQUk/view?usp=sharing However, there's still a few problems that I couldn't fix:
-m.9 The top note and all the Ds in the measure should be D natural,
-m.10 The second eighth note in parentheses should be a B, not an A
-m.15 Is it possible to make that dynamic subito mp and not subito p?
-m.16 I couldn't find room to fit in the crescendo, so would it be possible to increase the spacing between the treble and bass clefs for that line in order to put the crescendo inbetween?

JDMEK5

Quote from: DS on May 21, 2016, 10:54:58 AM-m.9 The top note and all the Ds in the measure should be D natural,
Haha right. I mistook your mention of measure 16 for this one. Oops.

Here:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/93589150/Star%20Fox%20Zero%20-%20Staff%20Credits%202.mus

My Arrangements

DS

OK, that looks great, thanks! I created new PDF and MIDI files with it and updated the submission, now let's just see what the moderators think