News:

We seem to have trapped one of the mods within the forum's code... and we're not sure how to get him out. Oh well, he'll figure it out!

Main Menu

[Wii] Super Mario Galaxy 2 - "World S" by TheMarioPianist

Started by Zeta, April 28, 2016, 04:07:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Deku Trombonist

Using 8vb with treble clef will drive most pianists insane.

JDMEK5

Quote from: TheMarioPianist on May 12, 2016, 05:40:31 PMOk, I've looked at this idea, and I like it, but I'm wondering if maybe using an 8vb with a treble clef (which is currently in the sheet) would be better, as using a note in text seems like something that would be used to replace almost a entire song's length of 8vas or 8vbs. Since this is only a seven measure segment, I'm thinking that an 8vb might suffice.
This could get problematic and confusing. What I would do is just put another note saying to return to the written octave. It's a little unorthodox perhaps, but it saves any and all guesswork.
"Today's goal strongly involves not dying. Because nobody likes to wake up dead."

My Arrangements
Finale Version(s): Finale Notepad 2012, Finale 2012, Finale v26

TheMarioPianist

Quote from: Deku Trombonist on May 21, 2016, 01:08:48 AMUsing 8vb with treble clef will drive most pianists insane.

Quote from: JDMEK5 on May 21, 2016, 01:19:41 AMThis could get problematic and confusing. What I would do is just put another note saying to return to the written octave. It's a little unorthodox perhaps, but it saves any and all guesswork.

I see your point. I wasn't thinking about the confusion that could cause. I'll change it once I get on a computer.
"I'm always here to help. Except when I'm not." ~Latios212

"If you're interested in 'balancing' work and pleasure, stop trying to balance them. Instead make your work more pleasurable." ~Donald J. Trump

Transcriber
M-updater
Piano player

TheMarioPianist

Well, I did this way earlier today but forgot to upload the files. The 8vbs have been replaced with notes instead.

Edit: Just noticed something. In like 4 measures of that LH part, the notes go cross staff (although I didn't place them as cross staff notes in order to have playback sound correct). These are not meant to be played an octave lower than written. Should I have the note refer to the bass clef rather than the left hand, or what?

"If you're interested in 'balancing' work and pleasure, stop trying to balance them. Instead make your work more pleasurable." ~Donald J. Trump

Transcriber
M-updater
Piano player

TheMarioPianist

I don't even know how my sub got knocked off the first page in 2 days. I think that's a good thing? (For the site, anyway.) But I guess this is a 2 day bump. Seems short, but oh well.

Transcriber
M-updater
Piano player

FireArrow

I'm on summer so I'll have some stuff later tonight/tomorrow.
Quote from: Dudeman on January 23, 2017, 05:35:59 PM
straight from the department of redundancy department

The Deku Trombonist

Writing a note is still the same as having the 8vb lines...

I have no idea why the right hand is written as 8va. Get rid of it and have the RH notated at pitch and that will free you up to have a LH that makes sense. 4 ledger lines isn't that hard to read and it's certainly preferable to the current confusion in the LH.

TheMarioPianist

Quote from: Deku Trombonist on May 30, 2016, 04:55:01 PMWriting a note is still the same as having the 8vb lines...

I have no idea why the right hand is written as 8va. Get rid of it and have the RH notated at pitch and that will free you up to have a LH that makes sense. 4 ledger lines isn't that hard to read and it's certainly preferable to the current confusion in the LH.
Ok, I've deleted the 8va, but my question still remains:

Quote from: TheMarioPianist on May 27, 2016, 08:46:02 PMIn like 4 measures of that LH part, the notes go cross staff (although I didn't place them as cross staff notes in order to have playback sound correct). These are not meant to be played an octave lower than written. Should I have the note refer to the bottom clef rather than the left hand, or what?
I tried moving the notes into the bottom treble clef, but this led to 5 ledger notes at times. Is this ok? (Only mus and musx are updated.)

Transcriber
M-updater
Piano player

Latios212

I think Deku means put the bottom staff in bass clef and cross-staff as necessary now that you don't have the 8va bothering you.
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

daj

Quote from: Latios212 on May 30, 2016, 06:46:33 PMI think Deku means put the bottom staff in bass clef and cross-staff as necessary now that you don't have the 8va bothering you.

Took a look the commotion, hehe. Checked out your file, aaand I think this (Latios' idea) is probably the best way to get things done. :) Man, that's an insane countermelody.

OR. If somehow this is possible in Finale (i mean i'm a sibelius guy so idk if you can), consider using three staves~

I'm not joking, actually! :p The first example that comes to my head is Ravel's Miroirs last movement. The notation is quite tough but I think, at least for the seven bars or so, it should be at least an option~

It is also perfectly legit - in case you were wondering, haha - to change the number of staves in the middle of the piece. Rach's overplayed Prelude does that - two staffs to four. Eeyup.

If your software allows it and you know how to use it, I think using three staves is the best way to organise your music for those bars! Makes the melody crossing much more obvious too :)

Just a suggestion!

TheMarioPianist

Quote from: Latios212 on May 30, 2016, 06:46:33 PMI think Deku means put the bottom staff in bass clef and cross-staff as necessary now that you don't have the 8va bothering you.
Ah, that would make so much more sense. My brain should have interpreted that better. Done.

Quote from: dajwxp on May 30, 2016, 06:51:31 PMTook a look the commotion, hehe. Checked out your file, aaand I think this (Latios' idea) is probably the best way to get things done. :) Man, that's an insane countermelody.

OR. If somehow this is possible in Finale (i mean i'm a sibelius guy so idk if you can), consider using three staves~

I'm not joking, actually! :p The first example that comes to my head is Ravel's Miroirs last movement. The notation is quite tough but I think, at least for the seven bars or so, it should be at least an option~

It is also perfectly legit - in case you were wondering, haha - to change the number of staves in the middle of the piece. Rach's overplayed Prelude does that - two staffs to four. Eeyup.

If your software allows it and you know how to use it, I think using three staves is the best way to organise your music for those bars! Makes the melody crossing much more obvious too :)

Just a suggestion!
I'm not gonna lie, I legitimately had this idea when I got to this part for the first time. I'll play around with it; I had originally figured that it wouldn't actually be feasible. We'll see what the updaters think about it.

Transcriber
M-updater
Piano player

The Deku Trombonist

Make sure the ties face the right way and look good. And the stems in the LH of bar 26-27 are also facing the wrong way.

FireArrow

So I made some changes to page 1 which mostly consists of cleaning up the R.H. by moving things to the left and correct a few wrong notes/missing notes. Maybe I'll do page 2 later idk.

[MUS]

It's not done yet so there's a few things left for you:
- The R.H. still needs to play some of those notes in the bass clef to keep this playable. I didn't wanna decide for you how you wanted that notated. You could seperate the voices or have some L shaped lines or w/e.
-The seoncd E in measure 13 and the second D in measure need to be played by the L.H., notate that how you want.
-The highest voice in measure 11 (the reapeting E's that ascend at the end) presents both playability issues and voicing issues. It's really quiet in the original so it makes the bass sound different on piano. I'd reccomend removing it but you do what you want with it.

P.S. I didn't touch measures 1-4 and 17-20 so good job.

EDIT: about the who 8va thing, you can just put the "8va" expression with "loco" when the section ends. Pretty sure that's the same as putting an 8va on each hand.

i think that's just finale being dumb nvm

Sebastian

I'd also like to point out (in FA's version above) that this measure could use some attention.
Spoiler
[close]

- There are quite a few clashing things on page 2.
- Also, the 8va should be closer to the hand it's bringing up an octave than the other system.
For example:
Spoiler
[close]

FireArrow

Yes, if he just copy pastes it without changing anything it won't end well. It's purposefully incomplete nor have I made any effort into making it look nice since he's fully capable of that himself.