Game: Super Mario Galaxy 2
Console: Nintendo Wii
Title: World S
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: TheMarioPianist

[attachment deleted by admin]

[attachment deleted by admin]

TheMarioPianist

Well, I found this one in the request board and thought it wouldn't be that bad to arrange. And it wasn't, for the most part. The only tricky part was measures 21-27. Technically, most of the pitches are playable as performed, but I had to get creative in terms of notating it, including the use of an octave bass clef :P. I feel like there should be a way around that. Please feel free to especially critique that section as much as necessary, because I feel like that could use some work. Also, another potential weakness could be in articulations. I feel like I could have missed a couple staccatos and/or accents. Just wanted to point those things out since I felt they were probably my biggest concerns with the sheet. Let me know what I need to correct, and thanks for checking my sheet! :)
"I'm always here to help. Except when I'm not." ~Latios212

"If you're interested in 'balancing' work and pleasure, stop trying to balance them. Instead make your work more pleasurable." ~Donald J. Trump

Transcriber
M-updater
Piano player

Zeila

It sounds pretty good!
  • Octave bass clefs aren't allowed. I guess you can return it to normal, and use more layers and/or LH markings. Or you could change it to treble clef and use 8vbs. Ik there are other potential conflicts, but if the tied whole note becomes an issue, I think you can just change the notehead so that it looks like a double whole note like in Bespinben's Lush Forest sheet (that might only be allowed since he notated con pedale though)
  • Why do you have staccatos in m12 and 15, but not 13?
  • Maybe you can add slurs in the section from m21-28
  • I think the 8va from m33-37 is unnecessary, and if you get rid of that, then you might be able to move the rest to it's standard position (or if not, then the default second layer position)

FireArrow

This piece is so amazing it inspired me to look through your arrangement note for note... I'll be done sometime this weekend.
Quote from: Dudeman on January 23, 2017, 05:35:59 PM
straight from the department of redundancy department

Tobbeh99

Nice arrangement!

Measures 21-28: I feel like this parts differs from the previous part in being more soft and legato-esque. Maybe indicate this by writing something like "dolce e legato" or some slurs, or maybe maybe even write down some pedal marks.
Quote from: Dudeman on August 16, 2016, 06:11:42 AM
tfw you get schooled in English grammar by a guy whose first language is not English

10/10 tobbeh

TheMarioPianist

Quote from: Zeila on April 28, 2016, 10:23:35 PMIt sounds pretty good!
  • Octave bass clefs aren't allowed. I guess you can return it to normal, and use more layers and/or LH markings. Or you could change it to treble clef and use 8vbs. Ik there are other potential conflicts, but if the tied whole note becomes an issue, I think you can just change the notehead so that it looks like a double whole note like in Bespinben's Lush Forest sheet (that might only be allowed since he notated con pedale though)
  • Why do you have staccatos in m12 and 15, but not 13?
  • Maybe you can add slurs in the section from m21-28
  • I think the 8va from m33-37 is unnecessary, and if you get rid of that, then you might be able to move the rest to it's standard position (or if not, then the default second layer position)

Thanks! Here are my thoughts:
1. Treble clef with 8vb markings could work; I'll have to play with it. The notes don't fit on a normal bass clef, and I can't do cross staff because the treble clef above is 8va.
2. Because I forgot them, probably ;D. I'll check it out when I get home and make sure it wasn't intentional.
3. Good idea, will do!
4. Now that I look at it, an 8va wasn't really necessary. It actually makes it more complicated; I'll fix that.

Quote from: FireArrow on April 28, 2016, 10:52:59 PMThis piece is so amazing it inspired me to look through your arrangement note for note... I'll be done sometime this weekend.

Glad I picked an inspirational piece for you! Thanks for the help; I appreciate it! :D

Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 29, 2016, 04:54:58 AMNice arrangement!

Measures 21-28: I feel like this parts differs from the previous part in being more soft and legato-esqu. Maybe indicate this by writing something like "dolce e legato" or some slurs, or maybe maybe even write down some pedal marks.

Thanks! I'll definitely make one of those changes to better emphasize the change in style.

Thanks again for all your help guys! I'll update this post sometime tonight once I make the changes.

Edit: I have made all of the changes except for putting slurs on 21-28. I still gotta play around with those to get the best look aesthetically.

"If you're interested in 'balancing' work and pleasure, stop trying to balance them. Instead make your work more pleasurable." ~Donald J. Trump

Transcriber
M-updater
Piano player

TheMarioPianist

Transcriber
M-updater
Piano player

JDMEK5

Quote from: TheMarioPianist on April 29, 2016, 09:26:57 AM1. Treble clef with 8vb markings could work; I'll have to play with it. The notes don't fit on a normal bass clef, and I can't do cross staff because the treble clef above is 8va.
To substitute a octava bass clef, put in a note in text saying "play LH an octave lower than written" as I did on my Nimbasa City sheet.
"Today's goal strongly involves not dying. Because nobody likes to wake up dead."

My Arrangements
Finale Version(s): Finale Notepad 2012, Finale 2012, Finale v26

TheMarioPianist

Quote from: JDMEK5 on May 09, 2016, 08:19:08 AMTo substitute a octava bass clef, put in a note in text saying "play LH an octave lower than written" as I did on my Nimbasa City sheet.
Wow, I hadn't thought of that. That would look a lot nicer than 8vbs all the way through. Will add when I get the chance!

Transcriber
M-updater
Piano player

FireArrow

Quote from: Dudeman on January 23, 2017, 05:35:59 PM
straight from the department of redundancy department

TheMarioPianist

Transcriber
M-updater
Piano player

TheMarioPianist

Quote from: JDMEK5 on May 09, 2016, 08:19:08 AMTo substitute a octava bass clef, put in a note in text saying "play LH an octave lower than written" as I did on my Nimbasa City sheet.
Ok, I've looked at this idea, and I like it, but I'm wondering if maybe using an 8vb with a treble clef (which is currently in the sheet) would be better, as using a note in text seems like something that would be used to replace almost a entire song's length of 8vas or 8vbs. Since this is only a seven measure segment, I'm thinking that an 8vb might suffice.

Transcriber
M-updater
Piano player

Sebastian

Quote from: TheMarioPianist on May 12, 2016, 05:40:31 PMOk, I've looked at this idea, and I like it, but I'm wondering if maybe using an 8vb with a treble clef (which is currently in the sheet) would be better, as using a note in text seems like something that would be used to replace almost a entire song's length of 8vas or 8vbs. Since this is only a seven measure segment, I'm thinking that an 8vb might suffice.
I'd just put a little note like JD suggested.

http://www.ninsheetmusic.org/download/pdf/2736

TheMarioPianist

Your example still shows a note that refers to the whole song, not just a few measures. I don't see why using a note is necessary if I'd just have to add another one saying to stop it seven measures later. To me, it seems that a note would only be used when referring to and 8va/8vb section covering the majority or even the entirety of the song.

Transcriber
M-updater
Piano player

Sebastian

Quote from: TheMarioPianist on May 18, 2016, 07:14:53 PMYour example still shows a note that refers to the whole song, not just a few measures. I don't see why using a note is necessary if I'd just have to add another one saying to stop it seven measures later. To me, it seems that a note would only be used when referring to and 8va/8vb section covering the majority or even the entirety of the song.
You have an excellent point. I believe using an 8va/8vb will suffice.