Flawed games you like

Started by Nitro Indigo, April 20, 2016, 10:37:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nitro Indigo

Sometimes, there are those games which you know aren't all that great, and can totally understand why people would hate them, but you still like those games unironically anyway. This thread is for those games.

THE DOG Island
The controls (in the Wii version, at least) are really weird, and the game essentially boils down to a long series of fetch quests, but how can you hate a game about adorable puppies? Also, the music is great, but then again, I say that about every game I like, and even some I don't.

Viva Piñata: Pocket Paradise
The graphics are terrible even by DS standards. The Piñata routing and collision detection are really awkward. There's not much to do. I love this game.
Quote from: MaestroUGC on January 07, 2017, 11:45:40 AM
You mean a thing that happened some time ago is older now and it's suddenly dawning on you that an equal amount of time has passed for you as well? How revolutionary.

SlowPokemon

Mario Party Advance. Loved that game, but I can't exactly say it was great. Also the Pokémon Mystery Dungeon series. They're so bland but I do enjoy them anyway.
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

BrainyLucario

Sonic Unleashed. Sure the night levels are extremely long and don't seem like a Sonic game, but it's still fun to me..
When given the choice between adulting and music, choose music every time.

Nitro Indigo

Quote from: BrainyLucario on April 20, 2016, 08:42:18 PMSonic Unleashed. Sure the night levels are extremely long and don't seem like a Sonic game, but it's still fun to me..
Apparently the Wii version has different stages to the HD versions...? Which version did you play?
You mean a thing that happened some time ago is older now and it's suddenly dawning on you that an equal amount of time has passed for you as well? How revolutionary.

WaluigiTime64

Sonic Unleashed is a really good game in my opinion. Bonus points for being the "Fastest Sonic Game". I played the PS2 version, which is the same as the Wii version. The Xbox version is the different one.
My Arrangements (All Outdated)
My Compositions (All Outdated)
Quote from: WaluigiTime64I strive for second place and I will fight for the position.

BrainyLucario

Quote from: Nitro Indigo on April 21, 2016, 01:43:57 PMApparently the Wii version has different stages to the HD versions...? Which version did you play?
Xbox 360 version...Some of the Night levels took me 30 minutes. Compare that to the 3 minutes it takes to beat the dayphase and you see my point. I still love the game, though.
When given the choice between adulting and music, choose music every time.

Olimar12345

Rayman. No, not this Rayman:
Spoiler
[close]
THIS Rayman:
Spoiler
[close]
Yeah, that shit. As much as the game is broken with ungodly difficulty, unknown hit-boxes/detections, and random shit that doesn't make sense, it grew on me as a child. It wasn't until recently that I was able to actually beat the game (and beating the game REQUIRES that you 100% it, grr), so once I sort of "reclaimed" my childhood, the nostalgia was able to set in a bit and I've even grown to admire it and its weird af atmosphere.

Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

Nitro Indigo

I've never played a Rayman game, but I immediately associate that franchise with the time I was reading ONM's preview of Rayman Origins while eating potato waffles.

I sort of feel like buying Enter the Dragonfly on GameCube because apparently it's the better version (long story short, I owned it on PS2 a couple of years ago but stopped playing it after a few days because TV Tropes' bitterness about that game made me regret buying it) and I want to finish something I started, but since I'm not the biggest fan of non-linear games and 3D platformers, not to mention that GC stuff is so expensive (I have a Wii, but no GC controller or memory card or anything), I'm not sure if it'll be worth it. =/ At least it costs around £10 on Cex if I remember correctly, unlike every GameCube game that people actually like which cost at least fifty.
/ramble

mikey

I associate it with the inappropriate raving rabbids
unmotivated

cashwarrior1

Fairune. It's a pretty good mobile/3DS game. It could definitely improve, which is why they're making a sequel (hopefully). I think the sequel is already out in Japan though.

Nitro Indigo

Isn't it by CIRCLE? Basically every game from that company got a bad review from ONM back in the day.

cashwarrior1

Yes it's by CIRCLE. Don't listen to the reviews, it's better to experience things yourself than to take what someone else thinks. I don't know about back in the day, but their newer games are pretty good.

Sebastian

WaluigiTime64

That game is beautiful. End of story.
My Arrangements (All Outdated)
My Compositions (All Outdated)
Quote from: WaluigiTime64I strive for second place and I will fight for the position.

Nitro Indigo

This video's pretty good. I was expecting it to be angry, and it wasn't. Never played it, mind.

Anyhow...
The Legend of Spyro: A New Beginning
The game is so linear that you couldn't backtrack even if you wanted to, the gameplay amounts to hammering circle to defeat the same three enemy types, I can't remember any music from this game except the title screen, Sparx is annoying, I have no idea if the game wants to be taken seriously or not, but I can't hate this game for some reason. It's so pretty, it debunks the argument that Rise of Lyric looks like a PS2 game. Also, thank you, Sierra, for making X the glide button. Pressing R(1) to glide was such an annoyance to me in my brief times playing Season of Ice and Enter the Dragonfly.
Are the sequels better? And on GameCube?