Series: Other
Game: Tetris
Console: Multiplatform
Title: High Score
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: Yentl Tijssens

Replacement Information:

Links to Existing Sheet: MUS | MIDI | PDF
Replacement Type: Challenge (new arranger)

[attachment deleted by admin]

yentltijssens

Hello!

I made a new arrangement for the Tetris "Game Over" theme.
I'm unsure about a couple of things:
  • There are a couple "double notes" (notes that are the same in both hands) in the score and I'm not sure how to fix it.
  • I think the name of the song is "High Score" instead of "Game Over".
  • I'm not sure if the layout is good enough. I'm not used to working with Finale.

Here is the song on YouTube:

Tobbeh99

Nice!

The way to go about the "double notes" is by writing a parenthesis on one of the notes, the one that shouldn't be played. I this case I'd write those around the LH notes. You can find parenthesis in the articulation tool.   
Quote from: Dudeman on August 16, 2016, 06:11:42 AM
tfw you get schooled in English grammar by a guy whose first language is not English

10/10 tobbeh

yentltijssens

Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 19, 2016, 05:31:57 AMNice!

The way to go about the "double notes" is by writing a parenthesis on one of the notes, the one that shouldn't be played. I this case I'd write those around the LH notes. You can find parenthesis in the articulation tool.   

Thank you for the tip! I applied the parenthesis but I got a little layout problem at the end. It's also very annoying to play.
Is it a possibility to move the left hand an octave down or the right hand an octave up?

Th3Gavst3r

Either you reuploaded "High Score" or that's the wrong title lol

yentltijssens

Quote from: Th3Gavst3r on April 19, 2016, 09:16:48 AMEither you reuploaded "High Score" or that's the wrong title lol

It's a replacement for the same song, but the original poster used the wrong title. :)

Th3Gavst3r

Quote from: yentltijssens on April 19, 2016, 10:08:24 AMIt's a replacement for the same song, but the original poster used the wrong title. :)
Oh crap, I see the note you made now. I've made that mistake a bunch of times myself and jumped to conclusions [emoji106]

yentltijssens

Quote from: Th3Gavst3r on April 19, 2016, 10:16:45 AMOh crap, I see the note you made now. I've made that mistake a bunch of times myself and jumped to conclusions [emoji106]

No problem ;)

Your arrangementpage is really organised and pretty! Nicely done, I'm impressed!

Latios212

Submission title fixed. Feedback:

- Tempo marking is not functional - playback is too slow.
- There should be repeat signs - a forward one at the beginning of the second measure and an ending one at the last measure. You could also use a pickup measure.
- It sounds to me like most (if not all) of the places where you have the same note before and after a barline, they should be tied. Ex. the G in measure 2 sounds like it should be tied, not re-struck the next measure. Could be wrong though.
- You have some places where the top and bottom staff notes cross over each other. While this song is simple enough that it probably won't be a big deal, it's important to keep in mind how you would like your sheet to be played.
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

yentltijssens

Quote from: Latios212 on April 19, 2016, 10:42:10 AMSubmission title fixed. Feedback:

- Tempo marking is not functional - playback is too slow.
- There should be repeat signs - a forward one at the beginning of the second measure and an ending one at the last measure. You could also use a pickup measure.
- It sounds to me like most (if not all) of the places where you have the same note before and after a barline, they should be tied. Ex. the G in measure 2 sounds like it should be tied, not re-struck the next measure. Could be wrong though.
- You have some places where the top and bottom staff notes cross over each other. While this song is simple enough that it probably won't be a big deal, it's important to keep in mind how you would like your sheet to be played.

Hey!

Thank you for the tips. I did everything you told me to.
I'm also pretty sure the same notes behind and after the barline are repeated. :)

JDMEK5

Hey, solid arrangement my friend. Good job. Latios and I went over this on skype, and made the following changes:

-Transposed the RH up an octave to avoid the crazy hand overlap in the middle-late section.
-Added dynamic marking.
-Made a handful of enharmonic spelling revisions.
-Respaced systems to use up all the available space.
-Changed to Bright Piano soundfont for playback.

Here is the final result:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/93589150/Tetris%20-%20High%20ScoreJD5.mus

If you're good with these changes, update the OP using the file provided here and we'll be good to go.
"Today's goal strongly involves not dying. Because nobody likes to wake up dead."

My Arrangements
Finale Version(s): Finale Notepad 2012, Finale 2012, Finale v26

Bespinben

Was lurking around the subs and yours happened to catch my eye. While you have all the notes and rhythms, I want to use your sheet as a way to demonstrate to you how to instill your engravings with the "creature comforts" that make for a pleasant sight-reading experience. As for the note overlap issue, I'd recommend taking the route of lowering the left hand accompaniment down an octave -- many of the Pokemon R/B/Y arrangements on the main site have taken a similar approach.

(1) Overall layout:
BIG PICTURE
[close]

*More space in between notes was achieved by alloting 3 measures per system, allowing for less clutter
*You can adjust the amount of space between the bass and treble staves using the Staff Tool in order to accommodate more systems on a single page

(2) Phrasing/articulation

*Don't be afraid to write phrase markings into your scores! Sure, the OST doesn't expressly indicate this, but that's part of the fun of being the arranger.
*Same goes for usage of the sustain pedal. Use it! If you need some kind of argument as to why in this song, notice that the melody in the OST has TWO tracks devoted to it to give it a reverberating, legato effect.

(3) Layers and cadences

*Using alternate layers (as I've done in m. 16) can help organize your writing by separating accompaniment from melody when both are in the same staff/hand.
*Don't be afraid to write your own cadence to looping electronic music such as this (like so, in m. 17)

Here are the files containing these additions. I hope this will inspire your future works!

[MUS] [MIDI] [PDF] [MUSX]
Quote from: Nebbles on July 04, 2015, 12:05:12 PM
Someone beat Bespinben to making PMD music?! GASP!

MLF for Chatroom Mod next Tuesday

Sebastian

Zeta

This submission has been accepted by Bespinben.

~Zeta, your friendly NSM-Bot