News:

Don't forget to submit your daily replacement!

Main Menu

The eShop Topic

Started by Olimar12345, April 14, 2016, 07:33:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nitro Indigo

Codename NX is my favourite strategy RPG.

What happened to all the non-Nintendo consoles on VC, anyway? Apparently Sega have stopped supporting Virtual Console, but that doesn't explain why Sonic Advance is on there in Japan. (It was published by THQ elsewhere.) And what about the others? Licencing issues?

Also, someone on the same thread said that the PS2 has a "dual-core processor"... isn't that the Saturn? Or are CPUs and processors two different things?
Quote from: MaestroUGC on January 07, 2017, 11:45:40 AM
You mean a thing that happened some time ago is older now and it's suddenly dawning on you that an equal amount of time has passed for you as well? How revolutionary.

TheDreamingHawk

That answer is simple: Nobody wanted to support the Wii U VC with that extra work. Sega pretty much implied such when I asked Okunari about it two years ago on Twitter, and Konami is the only one who's shown an interest in adding new systems (MSX and PC Engine in Japan)

My Video Game review website: http://www.seafoamgaming.com

My Youtube Gameplay/retrospective channel: https://www.youtube.com/SeafoamGaming

Nitro Indigo

Wait, Konami owns the rights to those...?

It's been years as the Wii U's Virtual Console still looks a lot more barren than the Wii's. While there's the handheld games for some reason, most of the other formats are just a fraction of the original VC library.

(Sidenote: I don't understand the "GBA and DS games on VC will make the Wii U sell better" argument, because you can get a used DS phat or Lite for a lot cheaper.)
You mean a thing that happened some time ago is older now and it's suddenly dawning on you that an equal amount of time has passed for you as well? How revolutionary.

Olimar12345

Quote from: Nitro Indigo on July 10, 2016, 10:45:47 AMI don't understand the "GBA and DS games on VC will make the Wii U sell better" argument, because you can get a used DS phat or Lite for a lot cheaper.

Think about it: the 3DS eshop and the console itself is far more successful than the WiiU. Just from a VC standpoint, who wouldn't want to have all of their favorite classics at their disposal whenever AND WHEREVER they wanted? With NES, SNES, GB, and GBC games (just speaking Nintendo rn) available, it's pretty obvious that the next great move would be GBA and maybe DS games for handhelds (ignore the ambassador program, as it was just a promotion) and N64 for home consoles. While you CAN "just go get a DS" to play these games, you can also "just go get" a gameboy for GB and GBC games, etc. We aren't just paying for the game when we buy VC games, we're paying to NOT have to hunt for the original system, cart, controllers, etc.: we're paying for the convenience. So, when Nintendo puts what would seem like a natural "next move" for the 3DS VC on the WiiU, it isn't that hard to imagine that they would like to share some of the 3DS' success with their lesser console, even if it means lessening the convenience factor we get with portables.
Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

Altissimo

to add to this: the "why dont u just go get a ds" argument falls apart a bit when you consider that's the entire reason people do emulator machines. to not have 6000 systems they have to interchange and charge and keep in good condition

Nitro Indigo

Good point. Maybe I'm overthinking this... I don't really know how Nintendo works.
I'm kind of feeling ashamed now...

On an unrelated note, what happened to using VC to export games? Where's my Dream Champ Tournament?

Altissimo

Here's how nintendo works: they want money. They get money for releasing games. They dont get any money when used games are resold. They do get money when people re-buy old games on modern consoles.
Yes people could just buy gba or ds titles in cart form for an original gba or ds. However neither of these actions make nintendo any money, because gba and ds titles arent (usually) sold nowadays by any nintendo-affiliated vendors. Gba or ds titles released on vc will make nintendo money, because they are being published and distributed by nintendo themselves.

Olimar12345

Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

Altissimo

Technically yes but i wouldnt be surprised if some people didnt realize they didnt get money from used merchandise, i didnt think about that until comparatively recently so

Nitro Indigo

Can someone please find the "IT PRINTS MONEY" gif?

BlackDragonSlayer

And the moral of the story: Quit while you're a head.

Fakemon Dex
NSM Sprite Thread
Compositions
Story Thread
The Dread Somber

WaluigiTime64

Quote from: Nitro Indigo on July 10, 2016, 11:27:30 PMCan someone please find the "IT PRINTS MONEY" gif?

Which one?

or

There's also these 2, but they're old

[close]
My Arrangements (All Outdated)
My Compositions (All Outdated)
Quote from: WaluigiTime64I strive for second place and I will fight for the position.

Nitro Indigo

TheDreamingHawk

Quote from: Nitro Indigo on July 10, 2016, 10:45:47 AMWait, Konami owns the rights to those...?

That they do. It's odd seeing Konami publish a game that ended up being made to compete with their own product (TG1G R-TYPE compared to Gradius)

Quote from: Nitro Indigo on July 10, 2016, 10:45:47 AM(Sidenote: I don't understand the "GBA and DS games on VC will make the Wii U sell better" argument, because you can get a used DS phat or Lite for a lot cheaper.)

That argument really doesn't work simply because it isn't true. Heck, VC games don't make a dent in system sales and only really exist to give current owners something to play. The sole reason GBA titles are on Wii U VC instead of 3DS VC is because of compatibility issues with making them run under the fancy dancy VC menu that Nintendo wants all VC systems to use in some way, plain and simple. DS retail downloads only can happen via DSiWare depending on the size of the game, which means that My Nintendo is pretty much the one-stop shop for potential DS downloads for the 3DS.

In all honesty, the VC doesn't need to exist at all as it's no longer used to encourage folks to buy systems. (on the Wii, the VC started off solely as a way to convince folks to connect to the internet before Wiiware burst in and pretty much wrecked the Wii's Virtual Console) Still, it's a great bonus service, and the only thing I wish we would get would be the following:

Turbografx 16 games on a Western VC (Wii U or 3DS, I'll take either)
MSX titles on Western Wii U VC
Sega Master System Games on the Wii U VC and more than the Wii VC, if Sega changes their minds
More Game Gear titles on 3DS VC (They cancelled them because of poor sales from what they said in an interview for the 3D classics)
Crossbuy/discount for owning a NES/SNES title on Wii U and 3DS

My Video Game review website: http://www.seafoamgaming.com

My Youtube Gameplay/retrospective channel: https://www.youtube.com/SeafoamGaming

Nitro Indigo

I've heard that the data limit for WiiWare is 20MB; what's the limit for DSiWare? DS games can be 8-512MB big.

Also, even if Nintendo can't get the menu for GBA games, that doesn't explain the Game Boy Micro resolution.