News:

Debate topic for next Tuesday: Are cannons truly valid instruments for an orchestra? Or should they be replaced with something safer, like Tesla coils?

Main Menu

The eShop Topic

Started by Olimar12345, April 14, 2016, 07:33:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SlowPokemon

Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

E. Gadd Industries

Well, for those in Japan, Pokémon Ranger Shadows of Almia & Guardian Signs have been released here recently. I LOVED playing Guardian Signs, but I have a tangible copy, so when it comes to US I won't get it.
"Everyone is crazy but me"
-The Sign Painter

The entrance to my lab is hidden... somewhere...
Spoiler

[/spoiler
[close]

Nitro Indigo

When I was younger, I thought Shadows of Almia was the worst game I ever played, but I'm now starting to appreciate it because of LuckySevenDX's LP of it a couple of years ago that I recently started rewatching.
Quote from: MaestroUGC on January 07, 2017, 11:45:40 AM
You mean a thing that happened some time ago is older now and it's suddenly dawning on you that an equal amount of time has passed for you as well? How revolutionary.

SlowPokemon

Shadows of Almia was my favorite Ranger game because I actually 100% completed all of it, the quests and browser and everything. I had a good time with it.

Nitro Indigo

I was always more of a Mystery Dungeon person myself, but my dislike of Shadows of Almia stems from me being terrible at video games back then. It was in about 2008, or so.
You mean a thing that happened some time ago is older now and it's suddenly dawning on you that an equal amount of time has passed for you as well? How revolutionary.

E. Gadd Industries

I have actually never played Shadows of Almia. I have the original and Guardian Signs, though
"Everyone is crazy but me"
-The Sign Painter

The entrance to my lab is hidden... somewhere...
Spoiler

[/spoiler
[close]

Nitro Indigo

Before it came out, I thought Guardian Signs was a Gen 5 game.
Speaking of which, is there any reason why it's the last Ranger game? Did they always plan for it to be a trilogy? From what I know, the sales and reception were similar to the first two...

In one episode of Pokémon Advanced, they changed the Japanese opening to show the boxarts of PMD1. With Ranger assumed dead, PMD taking place in an alternate universe, and most of the spinoffs nowadays being freeniums, they don't really promote spinoffs in the anime any more. =/

TheDreamingHawk

Quote from: Nitro Indigo on July 27, 2016, 07:36:30 AMBefore it came out, I thought Guardian Signs was a Gen 5 game.
Speaking of which, is there any reason why it's the last Ranger game? Did they always plan for it to be a trilogy? From what I know, the sales and reception were similar to the first two...

In one episode of Pokémon Advanced, they changed the Japanese opening to show the boxarts of PMD1. With Ranger assumed dead, PMD taking place in an alternate universe, and most of the spinoffs nowadays being freeniums, they don't really promote spinoffs in the anime any more. =/

I honestly can't believe that I've never noticed the MD reference in the intro. I don't know why they didn't add it into the english into (then again, our XY dub STILL has serena's old design in the title card despite it being nearly 50 episodes old by now)

My Video Game review website: http://www.seafoamgaming.com

My Youtube Gameplay/retrospective channel: https://www.youtube.com/SeafoamGaming

Nitro Indigo

I sometimes like to entertain the idea of a Pokémon 3D platformer spinoff with a similar tone to Spyro, even though I know barely anything about the classic series. Speaking of which, it's a shame Activision doesn't support Virtual Console, because I'd like to see the Spyro GBA trilogy on there. (Season of Ice was the first Spyro game I ever played, but only for a few minutes.)

Dudeman

Kirby's Epic Yarn and Mass Attack come to the VC tomorrow. I can't speak for Mass Attack, but KEY is adorable and lots of cute fun so I highly recommend it if you've never tried it.
Quote from: braixen1264 on December 03, 2015, 03:52:29 PMDudeman's facial hair is number 1 in my book

Altissimo

Mass Attack is very much not a standard Kirby game. It also relies heavily on the touch screen gimmick, though in a not-so-gimmicky-feeling way. It's pretty cutesy, but don't be fooled: it's one of the hardest Kirby games to 100% complete and even some of the regular levels can be more challenging than you'd expect. It has a shitton of minigames (most of which have a lot of content!) and a good many gimmicky levels, so there's a lot of variety in there. It's an extremely solid game, in my opinion. Just... don't expect Kirby-style gameplay out of it.

Epic Yarn though is a must-have for everyone in the world

Nebbles

Yes, I agree. Epic Yarn is a must-have.
Quote from: Dudeman on April 13, 2016, 04:54:04 PM
- Nebbles, the beauty with the heart of frozen steel

TheDreamingHawk

I'm gonna be in the minority again and state my honest opinion that KEY is NOT worth it for Kirby fans unless you really like to go at a slower pace compared to other Kirby games. I still have vivid memories of getting it for Christmas 2010 and being attracted by the cute artstyle, only to be incredibly disappointing due to how offensively easy it was. I typically play Kirby games as a means to relax or to take my time and complete each game, sometimes going for 100% to get the most out of the series, but KEY was just so upsetting to me solely because you couldn't die, making any effort pointless unless you want a fancy dancy medal. I didn't tend to care for the level designs too much either. (Save for the final world, which was a neat throwback IMO)

Once I beat the game and had zero fun whatsoever (even in co-op) I never wanted to touch the game ever again, and I'm incredibly happy that when Yoshi's Woolly World came out they fixed the major gripes I had with KEY by making it more of a challenging and relaxing game all at the same time while also making it into a Yoshi game that was actually the first good one since SMA3. Still, Kirby's Epic Yarn is my least favorite Kirby Game of all time mainly because of how dull it ended up being compared to Super Star Ultra (the most recent Kirby game I played before KEY) or even the VC titles that were available.

That being said, Kirby's Dream Course is another Kirby title I dislike for ironically the opposite reason, which is because it's way too cheap and unfair to play unless you play the local multiplayer. (which is a blast and IMO the only thing that saves the game from being one I hate. Sadly 3DS VC doesn't support proper multiplayer.) Honestly I'm kinda sad the 3DS got the short end of the stick when it comes to Kirby games, only really having Kirby's Dream Land, 3D Classics Adventure and Star Stacker as their "Good" Kirby titles. Hopefully DL3 and Super Star come to remedy that a bit (And Avalanche if Sega allows it).

I will say though that Mass Attack, along with Canvas Curse are two of the four major Kirby titles I've never played before, so I'll probably grab MA once I clear my backlog a bit (unless Canvas Curse comes out before I do so) Disappointing Kirby Week for me considering we only got one VC game for both systems and a Retail Download of a poor game, but I'll just place faith that Mass Attack is better than the other two titles and makes up for it for when I eventually purchase the game.

My Video Game review website: http://www.seafoamgaming.com

My Youtube Gameplay/retrospective channel: https://www.youtube.com/SeafoamGaming

Olimar12345

Quote from: TheDreamingHawk on July 28, 2016, 03:56:50 PMI'm gonna be in the minority again and state my honest opinion that KEY is NOT worth it for Kirby fans unless you really like to go at a slower pace compared to other Kirby games. I still have vivid memories of getting it for Christmas 2010 and being attracted by the cute artstyle, only to be incredibly disappointing due to how offensively easy it was. I typically play Kirby games as a means to relax or to take my time and complete each game, sometimes going for 100% to get the most out of the series, but KEY was just so upsetting to me solely because you couldn't die, making any effort pointless unless you want a fancy dancy medal. I didn't tend to care for the level designs too much either. (Save for the final world, which was a neat throwback IMO)

THANK YOU

Also, I totally agree: Dream Course is an amazing multiplayer experience, but that is all it really has to offer, making it's 3DS VC port a waste. : /
Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

SlowPokemon

I also don't love Epic Yarn. Lovely wonderful art style, boring to play. Even for a collector like me who enjoys relaxing games.