News:

New to the site? Introduce yourself here!

Main Menu

The eShop Topic

Started by Olimar12345, April 14, 2016, 07:33:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheDreamingHawk

I think I heard somewhere that the DSiWare limit was around 12MB or so? Can't remember as its been so long. As for the GBA 3DS titles supporting the original resolution, that's likely because it just uses the same method behind the DS backwards compatibility to shrink the screen.

Speaking of the Virtual Console, not long after I mentioned the ESRB rated games by Konami, they are already out on the Wii U! I Made a video showing off one of the titles, which you can watch below to see it in action.

In Japan, TG16 games were on the 3DS VC for a bit before the service got discontinued over there before the surge of SNES titles this year. Only three titles were released, China Warrior, R-Type and Alien Crush, and out of the three R-Type is the only one in NA to get a modern VC release today.

My Video Game review website: http://www.seafoamgaming.com

My Youtube Gameplay/retrospective channel: https://www.youtube.com/SeafoamGaming

Nitro Indigo

Wait... American VC games have that console's startup sound on the load screen? DAMMIT!

But DS games played on 3DS are fill up the screens minus the letterboxing... anyone a tech expert?

To be honest, my recent frustrations come from me getting Empire of Dreams on VC, then having to spend the night somewhere else. The game gets very tedious when played in long sessions, and it's designed to be picked up and played wherever.

Also, has everyone basically given up on the downloadable Wii games now? There hasn't been one for months. (And I have to wait at least a week for Klonoa '08 to arrive from the rental service...)
Quote from: MaestroUGC on January 07, 2017, 11:45:40 AM
You mean a thing that happened some time ago is older now and it's suddenly dawning on you that an equal amount of time has passed for you as well? How revolutionary.

SlowPokemon

^if you hold down Start or Select while you open a DS game on 3DS, it will display at original resolution.
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

Nitro Indigo

Even when you don't hold down Start and Select, the GBA games are still letterboxed despite being in widescreen.
(Wait... are the DS' screens 4:3?)

I also got Super Mario Land 2 the other day. Is it just me, or are Mario's jumps a lot "heavier" in this game?
You mean a thing that happened some time ago is older now and it's suddenly dawning on you that an equal amount of time has passed for you as well? How revolutionary.

Nebbles

There's nothing else I really want on the eShop atm, and I have a weird desire to buy EarthBound on my 3ds virtual console so I can play it on the go.

...but I have EB on the Wii U already. I have a problem.
Quote from: Dudeman on April 13, 2016, 04:54:04 PM
- Nebbles, the beauty with the heart of frozen steel

Nitro Indigo

They should've made it so that if you get a game that's on both the 3DS and Wii U, you can transfer the data between the two systems if they share an NNID. Do Sony do something like this?

Nebbles

Yeah, that'd be nice, and I wouldn't have to buy it again...

SlowPokemon

Yeah, PlayStation does crossbuy for every game that's available on multiple systems. Wish Nintendo would.

I have EarthBound on both systems lol. But that's mostly because I know I'll never be able to finish it unless it's on a handheld.
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

Nebbles

Well, I already finished it on Wii U. But I know I'll want to replay it, but having it on the go would be much more convenient.

Nitro Indigo

Well, I once saw a theory that the NX will be called the Nintendo Crossplay.

Speaking of Sony and their crossplay, one PSone Classic (I'd rather call them PS1 Classics, but I digress) is Klonoa: Door to Phantomile. There is a Wiimake of that game, which for some reason is one of the few, if not the only, Klonoa game not available for legal download anywhere in the world on any console. The GBA Klonoa games were added to Wii U Virtual Console two years ago.
Why isn't Klonoa '08 on the eShop? Is it because everyone just abandoned downloadable Wii games, as I theorised earlier? Are Namco ashamed of it because it killed the franchise? Did they just forget about it?

Speaking of poor-selling GBA games from franchises that originated on PS1, I kind of want to see the Spyro GBA trilogy on the eShop, but Activision. (Season of Ice was the first Spyro game - and physical GBA cartridge - I ever played, but it was someone else's copy and I didn't know what I was supposed to do.)

mikey

nobody's ever heard of klonoa
unmotivated

TheDreamingHawk

Quote from: Nitro Indigo on July 14, 2016, 01:29:45 PMWait... American VC games have that console's startup sound on the load screen? DAMMIT!

Actually, all Wii U VC games use the same generic bootup sound. TG16 titles are the ONLY VC system to have a different sound and that's the Konami Jingle (since Konami owns the system now). The MSX (Japan only) doesn't even get that honor, instead having the default Wii U startup sound because D4 Enterprise was lazy. :P

Quote from: Nitro Indigo on July 17, 2016, 12:55:51 PMKlonoa: Door to Phantomile. There is a Wiimake of that game, which for some reason is one of the few, if not the only, Klonoa game not available for legal download anywhere in the world on any console. The GBA Klonoa games were added to Wii U Virtual Console two years ago.
Why isn't Klonoa '08 on the eShop? Is it because everyone just abandoned downloadable Wii games, as I theorised earlier? Are Namco ashamed of it because it killed the franchise? Did they just forget about it?

The simple answer is because Namco doesn't care for adding games to the Wii Retail Download service (Wii games are not virtual console titles). They don't even have the Namco Museum games for the Wii on the eShop. Klonoa Wii isn't the only Klonoa game to not get re-released BTW. Moonlight Museum, Klonoa 2, Klonoa Heroes and Klonoa Volleyball have never been rereleased on a digital store anywhere in the world.

My Video Game review website: http://www.seafoamgaming.com

My Youtube Gameplay/retrospective channel: https://www.youtube.com/SeafoamGaming

Nitro Indigo

Namcollection was a PS2 game...?
Also, forgot about those. It was late when I posted that.

DS

Anyone else here about Nintendo "secretly" releasing Star Fox Zero: The Battle Begins along with Star Fox Guard the Training Mode of Star Fox Zero? Weird that they're putting out this late and trying to salvage the game or something.

Personally, it was great to finally be able to play (at least a small part of) Star Fox Zero for the first time at my friend's house (as he has a Wii U and I don't). Honestly, I still don't know what to think about the motion controls, as sometimes they worked and other times I was just glueing myself too much to either the TV or the Wii U. But, I'm still not paying for a Wii U just to buy SFZ, waiting for Star Fox NX instead (I can dream...)

mikey

6 games that make the wii U worth it:
Super Mario Maker
Splatoon
Wind Waker HD
Mario Kart 8
Star Fox 0 (in your case anyway)
Super Smash Bros. Wii U
unmotivated