News:

Iron gates are a thing of the past! Now, you can access your yard with the all-new NinSheetMusic-brand Teleportation Technology!

Main Menu

[WiiU] Super Mario 3D World - "Chain-Link Charge" by TheMarioPianist

Started by Zeta, March 27, 2016, 08:32:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeila

I'm on my phone rn listening to it at full speed without headphones so you can count this as invalid or w/e, but if the measure in question is around the 0:50 or 0:51 mark, then I'm hearing an Eb

TheMarioPianist

Quote from: Zeila on April 08, 2016, 08:37:49 PMI'm on my phone rn listening to it at full speed without headphones so you can count this as invalid or w/e, but if the measure in question is around the 0:50 or 0:51 mark, then I'm hearing an Eb
The measure in question should be around 0:25 or 0:26, based off the YT video in this submission.

@Olimar: I have updated all 4 files to include every change except for the Eb-D issue. Frankly, it's tough to make a decision because when it comes down to it, its based off of who hears a note "correctly." I'm confident in it being a D based off of perfect pitch, while you're confident in it being an Eb based on the style and your hearing of the note. I don't know how to resolve the issue...
"I'm always here to help. Except when I'm not." ~Latios212

"If you're interested in 'balancing' work and pleasure, stop trying to balance them. Instead make your work more pleasurable." ~Donald J. Trump

Transcriber
M-updater
Piano player

Olimar12345

I mean, the theory and style is there in addition to what I hear (in a register where I live, too). I can listen to it in depth another time either tomorrow or Sunday, but I will likely come to the same conclusion.

Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

Zeila

Quote from: TheMarioPianist on April 08, 2016, 08:44:56 PMThe measure in question should be around 0:25 or 0:26, based off the YT video in this submission.
Whoops, I'm on my comp now though. It's weird because when I slow down the song, it sounds like an Eb, but in regular time it sounds like a D o.o

Quote from: TheMarioPianist on April 08, 2016, 08:44:56 PM@Olimar: I have updated all 4 files to include every change except for the Eb-D issue. Frankly, it's tough to make a decision because when it comes down to it, its based off of who hears a note "correctly." I'm confident in it being a D based off of perfect pitch, while you're confident in it being an Eb based on the style and your hearing of the note. I don't know how to resolve the issue...
I'm guessing when it comes down to it, either whichever is the consensus or whatever fits the piece the most (like theory and stuff)

Altissimo

i can't get audiostretch working (downforeveryone says it's even up, why the fuck won't it work), i was gonna do my normal strategy when i cant figure out a note of literally pausing the playback on the note i'm having issues with so i blare it in my ears while i fiddle around until i get the right note but that's not fucking working

that said, i'm pretty sure it's e-flat .-.

Sebastian

Bespinben

The only way to ascertain the truth of the matter is to subject the excerpt in question to waveform analysis.
After obtaining knowledge of what the note is (via waveform analysis), we will discuss what the note was intended to be (via music theory), and why the performance varies from those intentions (via instrumental acoustics).

Listening to a 44.1kHz sample of the music through a closed-back, over-ear, flat frequency response monitoring headset (i.e. $150 pair of headphones), and after isolating the excerpt in question and raising the pitch up an octave without stretching the tempo (via DAW of your choice), we learn TWO very important facts about the note in question:

(1) The ATTACK is an Eb: [MP3]
(2) The SUSTAIN is a D: [MP3]

From the perspective of purely audio, TMP and his perfect pitch are in a sense "more correct" for generalizing the note as D, since the sustain period is far longer than the attack.

From the perspective of music composition, however, we can infer that the intended note for the performance was an Eb. This is because, in a C minor triad, the note D would function as an added 9th, which, if positioned BELOW everything else, would result in a very dissonant b9 interval between D and the Eb (the minor third of the chord). An NCT, as Olimar put it.

Why then is there a discrepancy between the recorded audio and the composition? Simple; we're not dealing with MIDI, but with live instruments. A double bass is a fretless instrument; the slightest twist of the pad of the finger while holding a note could easily result in an unintentional flattening of the desired intonation.
Quote from: Nebbles on July 04, 2015, 12:05:12 PM
Someone beat Bespinben to making PMD music?! GASP!

MLF for Chatroom Mod next Tuesday

TheMarioPianist

Quote from: Bespinben on April 09, 2016, 12:54:28 PMThe only way to ascertain the truth of the matter is to subject the excerpt in question to waveform analysis.
After obtaining knowledge of what the note is (via waveform analysis), we will discuss what the note was intended to be (via music theory), and why the performance varies from those intentions (via instrumental acoustics).

Listening to a 44.1kHz sample of the music through a closed-back, over-ear, flat frequency response monitoring headset (i.e. $150 pair of headphones), and after isolating the excerpt in question and raising the pitch up an octave without stretching the tempo (via DAW of your choice), we learn TWO very important facts about the note in question:

(1) The ATTACK is an Eb: [MP3]
(2) The SUSTAIN is a D: [MP3]

From the perspective of purely audio, TMP and his perfect pitch are in a sense "more correct" for generalizing the note as D, since the sustain period is far longer than the attack.

From the perspective of music composition, however, we can infer that the intended note for the performance was an Eb. This is because, in a C minor triad, the note D would function as an added 9th, which, if positioned BELOW everything else, would result in a very dissonant b9 interval between D and the Eb (the minor third of the chord). An NCT, as Olimar put it.

Why then is there a discrepancy between the recorded audio and the composition? Simple; we're not dealing with MIDI, but with live instruments. A double bass is a fretless instrument; the slightest twist of the pad of the finger while holding a note could easily result in an unintentional flattening of the desired intonation.
Yep, he showed me audio proof of all this. The files have been updated. In addition to the D being changed to an Eb, the bass note on beat 4 of the measure before it has been changed from an Eb to a Bb. (Ben picked that one up too.)

"If you're interested in 'balancing' work and pleasure, stop trying to balance them. Instead make your work more pleasurable." ~Donald J. Trump

Transcriber
M-updater
Piano player

Olimar12345

Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

Altissimo

TheMarioPianist

Quote from: Altissimo on April 09, 2016, 01:37:14 PMstop showing us all up with superior music skills ben
Personally, I'd call them audio manipulation skills.

So...anything else that I need to do?

Transcriber
M-updater
Piano player

Zeta

This submission has been accepted by Latios212.

~Zeta, your friendly NSM-Bot