[DELETED] [GEN] Mega Man: The Wily Wars - "Wily Tower: Stage 2" by WaluigiTime64

Started by Zeta, March 24, 2016, 09:16:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeta

Submission Information:

Series: Mega Man
Game: Mega Man: The Wily Wars
Console: Sega Genesis
Title: Wily Tower: Stage 2
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: WaluigiTime64

Tobbeh99

Nice arrangement!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYWhsgNxBzw

Some feedback:

-The url should have the letters N, S & M capitalized.

-This arrangement can fit one 2 pages. I don't know if Finale notepad is capable of fixing this however. I think moving the last measure up to the last system on the 2nd page is the best idea.

-The systems on the second page are a bit too spread out, still I don't know if you can fix this in notepad.
-You're missing pretty much the entire middle voice. The middle voice plays harmonies with the melody and can really improve your arrangement and make it sound more "fuller". If you can't completely add the middle voice, try to at least add parts of it so it creates chords with the melody.

-Some articulations could improve your arrangement as well. It is up to preference how important you think they are and how much you think they are needed in this arrangement. But one important part which I think they are needed is measures 17-18 RH. The notes in the right hand sound way shorter and sharper, either make them staccato or staccato+accent.

Also, for further submissions, post a youtube video accompanied with your arrangement. This makes it easier comparing.
Quote from: Dudeman on August 16, 2016, 06:11:42 AM
tfw you get schooled in English grammar by a guy whose first language is not English

10/10 tobbeh

WaluigiTime64

DON'T WORRY I HAVE NOTICED THE FEEDBACK AND THE SHEET IS NOW UPDATED

But in all seriousness, thanks for the feedback! I managed to fit the middle voice into most of the song, and staccatos have been added to various notes (This actually doesn't include Measures 17-18, which I feel weren't necessary, and it ruins the feel of the build-up, which is also why there isn't any accents either, because there is already a crescendo occurring). I'm not too sure why the page problem occurred, but now it's in 2 pages. (I think it's a problem with exporting files as .xml from Notepad back to MuseScore).
Also I'll remember the video part. I should've thought about that.
My Arrangements (All Outdated)
My Compositions (All Outdated)
Quote from: WaluigiTime64I strive for second place and I will fight for the position.

Onionleaf

Hi there, great choice of music! :) Just wanted to mention a couple of things that could be tweaked:

• Don't forget the rules of beaming! When music is in 4/4 time, remember that the 4th and 5th eighth notes should not be beamed. Imagine a dividing line going right through the middle of each bar that shouldn't be crossed. Hence, the quarter notes that appear in the left hand in the middle of each bar should instead be two beamed eighth notes. Make sure to do the same for the right hand, I can see a few bars there that could be fixed as well.
• That very last bar is very elongated... perhaps you could move one or two bars down to the last line so that all the bars are more-or-less the same size?
• In m. 10 there's an additional voice that could possibly be added to the right hand?
• Where you have the right hand playing octaves from bar 19 onwards, I can hear that middle voice actually playing different notes from the top melody. It would be awesome to see that middle voice added to your sheet, would make the sheet that much more interesting. :)
• The melody line in m. 24 sounds a bit different to me, I think there are one or two notes missing.
• The right hand in m. 11 (and all other similar runs) might be tricky to play... I can hear the middle voice going up in an arpeggio at the start of that bar, so maybe the middle voice can move up to meet the top voice, that should help make it easier to play.

Let me know if my comments didn't make sense, I can always provide some practical examples if you need help with this sheet. ;)

WaluigiTime64

I've gotten to work on this, and some parts sound a lot better, but then at Measure 19, it starts to sound really odd. When I finish, I'll edit the submission, and you can have a look.

Also a heads-up, I use Finale Notepad.
Quote from: WaluigiTime64I strive for second place and I will fight for the position.

WaluigiTime64

Ok, so I've edited most things, and I've also done some extra edits (such as the title (Wily Tower: Stage 2)). I won't update the submission just yet because this is not what I want the final one to look like, but it has most of the things corrected, but some things I'm not entirely happy with, and I don't know how to deal with them.

Examples:
 - Measures 11 to 16 look quite messy, and are downright unplayable, but they have the correct notes. I'm not too sure what to do here.
 - In Measure 11, there is a dynamic (mf) which is stuck in some beams.
 - Measure 23 and 31 don't have all of the middle voice, but I think it's for simplicity's sake.

Edit: Right, the actual link. Here.

WaluigiTime64

Onionleaf

Awesome! Personally I think your sheet is very good at this point, but you'll have to wait for someone more experienced to give you proper feedback. :)
Now I hope you don't mind, but I made some minor adjustments to your MUS file (here's the link). In particular, here's what I altered:

• Beamed some off-beat dotted rhythm notes, such as in m. 23.
• Reduced the overall size of the measures so that the whole sheet fits on two pages.
• Removed the last bar considering that the track always loops.
• Added rests between notes in bars 17-18 so that they are played detached.
• Moved the bracketed E note in bars 11 & 15 up an octave so that it will be playable.
• Some rests were hidden in the middle voice, I think it would make more sense to show them.

You are welcome to disagree on any points if you feel like I didn't do the correct adjustment. ;)

WaluigiTime64

WaluigiTime64

WaluigiTime64