[MUL] Fallout: New Vegas - "Begin Again" by Pianist Da Sootopolis

Started by Zeta, March 11, 2016, 02:36:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pianist Da Sootopolis

what is shitpost

Zeila

Lookin' pretty good
  • You should be consistent with your ties and whatnot. For instance, there are more instances where a quarter (or eighth) note is tied to another quarter or eighth note in lieu of half/dotted quarter/regular quarter notes. In m3 and 11 for example, you do not
  • I think you can just hide the last rest in m4
  • Your ritardandos are at the bottom staff, and the railroad tracks and gliss at the end are out of place. I've never seen ritardandos at the bottom or railroad tracks in the middle, but if that happens then it's fine. The glissando should be in front though (and might be a little too long)
  • Since the sheet itself isn't very crowded, if you want to make it look slightly neater, you could highlight every staff with 4 measures, right click -> edit measure attributes -> check change width. This is completely optional

Pianist Da Sootopolis

Quote from: Zeila on April 27, 2016, 11:00:44 PMLookin' pretty good
  • You should be consistent with your ties and whatnot. For instance, there are more instances where a quarter (or eighth) note is tied to another quarter or eighth note in lieu of half/dotted quarter/regular quarter notes. In m3 and 11 for example, you do not
The reason for M.3 was due to the second layer, which effectively shows beat three. Thanks for pointing that out though!
M. 11 was poorly written and has been fixed :)

• I think you can just hide the last rest in m4
Fixed

• Your ritardandos are at the bottom staff, and the railroad tracks and gliss at the end are out of place. I've never seen ritardandos at the bottom or railroad tracks in the middle, but if that happens then it's fine. The glissando should be in front though (and might be a little too long)
Not sure what you mean by 'railroad tracks'; assuming you mean the fermatas, those are the default positions and they don't seem wrong to me... The gliss. though, was wrong, and I've fixed it :)

• Since the sheet itself isn't very crowded, if you want to make it look slightly neater, you could highlight every staff with 4 measures, right click -> edit measure attributes -> check change width. This is completely optional
Ooh that looks nice, thanks! I'm gonna keep that.
Other changes:
Adjusted the initial piano marking
Got rid of the superfluous As in the LH at M.17
Got rid of the unnecessary slur at the second to last measure, to make room for the glissando marking in front.
Extended some forgotten slurs (sorry, Lati!).
Files updated.
what is shitpost

Zeila

The proper musical term is called caesura, and it's still in the pdf. Think about it further, railroad tracks after a fermata might be redundant actually. It's located in between the staves at m13

Pianist Da Sootopolis

Ohhhhhh! That's a mark indicating a pause or a breath (not a literal one, as with a musical instrument, but a musical breath, if you will).
Sorry for the long delay.
what is shitpost

Zeila

Ok, but I just wanted to clarify with the placement of it

What you have:

What I've always seen:

Note that I've never seen it in piano sheet music but rather for percussion (one staff), so I'm just guessing that it would be placed on two staves like a fermata would. Sorry if I'm overcomplicating this, and no worries about the late reply

Pianist Da Sootopolis

Huh. I've only ever seen it the first way.
Any updaters want to chime in on this?
what is shitpost

Pianist Da Sootopolis

what is shitpost

Pianist Da Sootopolis

what is shitpost

Sebastian

This is a pretty cool song. I'm not at my computer at the moment, but when I do, I'll take a look.

Sebastian

Hey. Awesome piece!

Here is some feedback:
- About this:
Quote from: Zeila on May 07, 2016, 11:11:08 PMWhat you have:

What I've always seen:

Note that I've never seen it in piano sheet music but rather for percussion (one staff), so I'm just guessing that it would be placed on two staves like a fermata would. Sorry if I'm overcomplicating this, and no worries about the late reply
As Zeila said, "railroad tracks" or Caesura are used in percussion music. I've also seen them in orchestral music and some piano songs. That's how I originally learned them: through piano songs. Unfortunately, I've only dealt with these markings a handful of times and don't know too much about them; however, both of these images you showed look like they could be correct. Personally, I would put two (like with fermatas) just to play it safe. Since fermatas and Caesura are relatively similar in action, I would put it the way Zeila demonstrated. Again, I'm not 100% sure. You would have to ask someone more knowledgeable in that area of expertise.

- M. 2, 4, and others like it where you have the 2 layers clashing.
Might be best to put them like this, so they don't clash. (M. 4 as an example)
Spoiler
[close]

- Also, with M. 4, I'm hearing this:
Spoiler
[close]

- I also hear this for M. 7 & 8. They're quiet, but they are there.
Spoiler
[close]
If you wish, you could put the A in the second layer and tie it to the 16ths. Whatever works for you!

- M. 17: For consistency, go ahead and put in the As in the left hand with parenthesis around them.

- M. 30: Something is up with the last measure. The notes seem to be hanging in the middle of the measure. Go ahead and delete them and put them back up. That should do the trick. I've had this same alignment problem before when using layers.

- Wikipedia titles the composer is Inon Zur, but in my experience, Wikipedia is sometimes wrong. Just thought I'd say that.

Again, excellent work with this song! Very pretty.

Olimar12345

Just to add some clarity to what a caesura actually is and does, a caesura indicates a brief pause or silence in the musical passage. This differs from a fermata in that a fermata indicates that the area it encompasses (usually either a note or rest) be held longer than its stated value, originally conceived as the value plus half (ex: whole note (four beats in 4/4) with a fermata would be held for six beats) but nowadays can generally be held to the performers desire. Caesuras are generally used to insert space where there is none, being inserted BETWEEN notated figures such as notes, rests, or measures (although, if you have rests you could get the same effect by putting a fermata over a rest). Contrary to mlf's weird speculation, caesuras are not instrument or ensemble specific markings, being as normal of a tool for all musical compositions as say a time signature.

As for its placement: generally speaking, one caesura per instrument is sufficient enough, and their placement on the staff is more akin to the top staff in the second picture that Zeila provided. Similar to doubling fermatas in keyboard literature, it is not too uncommon to encounter the same for the caesura. Personally though, I think one on the upper-most staff would be sufficient.

Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

Sebastian

Thank you for the clarification. I wasn't sure if two were required like fermatas, but yeah.

Olimar12345

Two fermatas are not "required" for each hand of keyboard instruments unless each part is different.

Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!