[GBA] Pokémon Ruby Version & Pokémon Sapphire Version - "Battle! (Super-Ancient Pokémon)" by Pianist

Started by Zeta, December 19, 2015, 09:39:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeta

Submission Information:

Series: Pokémon
Game: Pokémon Ruby Version & Pokémon Sapphire Version
Console: Game Boy Advance
Title: Battle! (Super-Ancient Pokémon)
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: Pianist Da Sootopolis

[attachment deleted by admin]

[attachment deleted by admin]

Pianist Da Sootopolis

I'll be the first to admit there's probably some flaws in this. This was an arrangement I had thought about for a little while but never really gave proper attention, so I arranged it in ~3 hours.
Cheers!
what is shitpost

Latios212

- Title is "Battle! (Super-Ancient Pokémon)".
- I was touching up braix's version of this the other day and accidentally overwrote the file so I lost all my progress. GRAAAAH
- I think there was something besides just C's in the first few measures. Could be remembering wrong, though.
- Idk what it is about your version of Finale, but the sheet looks... weird. Staves and everything are far too large. Can't hear the playback of the RH. Text is far too close to the edge of the page. Try copy-pasting into a template file?
- Needs the bassline in 13-18 (or whatever you call that low voice that isn't the drummy-thing. I tried experimenting with this voice in the rest of the song instead of the line you currently have written in (which I'm not terribly fond of, but may be necessary to make the song sound less empty) but it ended up sounding emptier since it only strikes once every quarter note. Worth a thought though.
- Needs whole rests in 3-4.
- Composer is just Jun'ichi Masuda.
- Rhythm groupings - always try to show the start of beat if possible. So measure 5 and similar: the quarter in the middle can just be turned into an eighth+eighth rest (since the note doesn't last that long anyway). Measure 11 and similar: dotted eighth+sixteenth-tied to eighth+eighth.
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

braix

Quote from: Latios212 on December 19, 2015, 09:54:39 PM- I was touching up braix's version of this the other day and accidentally overwrote the file so I lost all my progress. GRAAAAH.
Nuuuuuuu
Quote from: MaestroUGC on August 19, 2015, 12:22:27 PMBraixen is a wonderful [insert gender] with beautiful [corresponding gender trait] and is just the darlingest at [stereotypical activity typically associated with said gender] you ever saw.

Pianist Da Sootopolis

Quote from: Latios212 on December 19, 2015, 09:54:39 PMTitle is "Battle! (Super-Ancient Pokémon)".
Fixed.
QuoteI was touching up braix's version of this the other day and accidentally overwrote the file so I lost all my progress. GRAAAAH
Nuuuu!
QuoteI think there was something besides just C's in the first few measures. Could be remembering wrong, though
I can kind of hear something, but it's so minute and perhaps even microtonal (or whatever the word is for "in between one of the 12 recognized whole tones") that I didn't think it was worth trying to notate, since, on a piano, adding anything else outside of the C minor chord would imply a different harmony than is truly there.

QuoteIdk what it is about your version of Finale, but the sheet looks... weird. Staves and everything are far too large.
Acknowledged; I've played with the settings a bit and it looks better to my eyes. Take a look and let me know what you think :)
QuoteCan't hear the playback of the RH. Text is far too close to the edge of the page. Try copy-pasting into a template file?
Fixed the formatting stuff to a reasonable size and proportion, let me know what you think; for the playback, I don't know what the hell is up with the MIDI file. I'll try and use the other option for storing the voices, but it shouldn't affect my playback just on Finale, so I don't know what's up with that.
QuoteNeeds the bassline in 13-18 (or whatever you call that low voice that isn't the drummy-thing. I tried experimenting with this voice in the rest of the song instead of the line you currently have written in (which I'm not terribly fond of, but may be necessary to make the song sound less empty) but it ended up sounding emptier since it only strikes once every quarter note. Worth a thought though.
Uhm... I actually don't know what you're talking about.
QuoteNeeds whole rests in 3-4.
Composer is just Jun'ichi Masuda.
Fixed.
QuoteRhythm groupings - always try to show the start of beat if possible. So measure 5 and similar: the quarter in the middle can just be turned into an eighth+eighth rest (since the note doesn't last that long anyway). Measure 11 and similar: dotted eighth+sixteenth-tied to eighth+eighth.
Working on it right now. Will update the OP either shortly after this post or tomorrow morning (yay being tired af)
what is shitpost

Tobbeh99

Quote from: Dudeman on August 16, 2016, 06:11:42 AM
tfw you get schooled in English grammar by a guy whose first language is not English

10/10 tobbeh

braix

Quote from: Pianist Da Sootopolis on December 20, 2015, 10:55:34 PMUhm... I actually don't know what you're talking about.
If you check my sheet for this song I think I have those notes in there that he's referring to. Feel free to take a look.
Quote from: MaestroUGC on August 19, 2015, 12:22:27 PMBraixen is a wonderful [insert gender] with beautiful [corresponding gender trait] and is just the darlingest at [stereotypical activity typically associated with said gender] you ever saw.

Pianist Da Sootopolis

Quote from: Tobbeh99 on December 22, 2015, 02:04:02 PMChange the submission's name to "Battle! (Super-Ancient Pokémon)".
Done.
Quote from: braixen1264 on December 22, 2015, 02:32:14 PMIf you check my sheet for this song I think I have those notes in there that he's referring to. Feel free to take a look.

Took a look, and I think I have them, just in different registers than you do.
what is shitpost

Pianist Da Sootopolis

what is shitpost

Olimar12345

Sorry, just a busy time.

Only seeing the arrangement (without the original) I have these suggestions to improve it visually:
-The RH figure that appears in measure 11 (and every measure following until 16) could be rewritten to make the upper layer start with a dotted eighth note. I would also break the beaming between Beats 1 and 2 for these figures. This would just make it easier to understand at first glance.
-I'd convert the ties in measures 17 and 18 in the LH into dotted eighth notes.
-The tempo Mark seems to be odd since it's in cut time, but like I said I haven't heard the piece yet. I've seen people before use the note value from the time signature first and then a smaller note value in parentheses (when going down in note value, at least). Bwt, it's a little too close to that allegro marking for my liking.

And some formatting issues:
-page 2 title has two closing quotes.
-the subtitle is inconsistent with the subtitle in the OP.

Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

Pianist Da Sootopolis

Quote from: Olimar12345 on February 21, 2016, 10:34:11 AMSorry, just a busy time.
S'all good friend :)
Quote-The RH figure that appears in measure 11 (and every measure following until 16) could be rewritten to make the upper layer start with a dotted eighth note. I would also break the beaming between Beats 1 and 2 for these figures. This would just make it easier to understand at first glance.
Done.
QuoteI'd convert the ties in measures 17 and 18 in the LH into dotted eighth notes.
QuoteThe tempo Mark seems to be odd since it's in cut time, but like I said I haven't heard the piece yet. I've seen people before use the note value from the time signature first and then a smaller note value in parentheses (when going down in note value, at least). Bwt, it's a little too close to that allegro marking for my liking.
Done.
QuoteAnd some formatting issues:
-page 2 title has two closing quotes.
Fixed.
Quotethe subtitle is inconsistent with the subtitle in the OP.
This is the only one here I'm not so sure what you mean by. Could you elaborate, please?
what is shitpost

Latios212

Quote from: Pianist Da Sootopolis on February 21, 2016, 11:25:21 AMThis is the only one here I'm not so sure what you mean by. Could you elaborate, please?
Use "Pokémon Ruby Version & Pokémon Sapphire Version"
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle