[GBA] The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap - "Rainy Mt. Crenel" by NocturneOfShadow

Started by Zeta, December 18, 2015, 03:35:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeta

Submission Information:

Series: The Legend of Zelda
Game: The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap
Console: Game Boy Advance
Title: Rainy Mt. Crenel
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: NocturneOfShadow

[attachment deleted by admin]

mikey

unmotivated

Tobbeh99

Nice arrangement! :)

But I could need some touch-ups.

Formatting:

-Text sizes and styles: just read The Guidelines, or use the template. When looking at it, I think it's just the title and the composer name that needs to be bold, also it should say "composed by Mitsuhiko Takano" and "arranged by NocturneOfShadow".

-Composer/URL: You have 2 different textboxes for them. If you want to have just 1 box you could go to windows > score manager > file info and there write the URL in the copyright section. Also very tiny thing: You are missing the "/" at the end of the URL.

-Pages: this arrangement could fit on 1 page. Use the page layout tool > Resize pages (page reduction) > make it to 85%.

-Measure distribution: Distribute the measures as 4/4/4/4/4/8 per system. Now you should have 6 measures on 1 page, if you don't you might need to drag the measures a bit closer to each other to make it fit on 1 page.

Music:

-I think that the third note in each LH group has more weight. Maybe add an articulation like a tenuto.

-Measures 1-20: Consider having different dynamics for each hand. If you want the LH to have a stronger dynamic than the RH. Maybe mf in LH and mp in RH.

-Measures 21-28: I'd add cresc. and dim. hairpins, but in parenthesis. That shows the idea of that passage, that it kind of "fade in and out".

-Notation: make all your dotted half notes into quarter-tied-half notes. The only time you can have dotted half notes in a 4/4 is if the are on strong beats.
Quote from: Dudeman on August 16, 2016, 06:11:42 AM
tfw you get schooled in English grammar by a guy whose first language is not English

10/10 tobbeh

mikey

Quote from: Tobbeh99 on December 18, 2015, 04:51:17 PMNice arrangement! :)

But I could need some touch-ups.

Formatting:

-Text sizes and styles: just read The Guidelines, or use the template. When looking at it, I think it's just the title and the composer name that needs to be bold, also it should say "composed by Mitsuhiko Takano" and "arranged by NocturneOfShadow".

-Composer/URL: You have 2 different textboxes for them. If you want to have just 1 box you could go to windows > score manager > file info and there write the URL in the copyright section. Also very tiny thing: You are missing the "/" at the end of the URL.

-Pages: this arrangement could fit on 1 page. Use the page layout tool > Resize pages (page reduction) > make it to 85%.

-Measure distribution: Distribute the measures as 4/4/4/4/4/8 per system. Now you should have 6 measures on 1 page, if you don't you might need to drag the measures a bit closer to each other to make it fit on 1 page.

Music:

-I think that the third note in each LH group has more weight. Maybe add an articulation like a tenuto.

-Measures 1-20: Consider having different dynamics for each hand. If you want the LH to have a stronger dynamic than the RH. Maybe mf in LH and mp in RH.

-Measures 21-28: I'd add cresc. and dim. hairpins, but in parenthesis. That shows the idea of that passage, that it kind of "fade in and out".

-Notation: make all your dotted half notes into quarter-tied-half notes. The only time you can have dotted half notes in a 4/4 is if the are on strong beats.
alright, I'll work on these.  On measures 21-28, having crescendos and decrescendos seemed kinda pointless because you can't crescendo while holding a note down :P
unmotivated

mikey

I fixed everything I could, but I may need some more instruction on the following:
-page layout to 1 page
-measure distribution
-different dynamics for each hand
-hairpins?
unmotivated

Zeila

Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on December 18, 2015, 09:34:54 PM-page layout to 1 page
If you click on the resize tool (the % right next to Text), you can change the number there

Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on December 18, 2015, 09:34:54 PM-measure distribution
If you do the above, then it will end up being 5 in each system sans the last with 8 measures. You might have to move m21 down when you do resize it though

Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on December 18, 2015, 09:34:54 PM-different dynamics for each hand
Go to Window > Score Manager, then change the channels per staff/layer you want to be independent. You'll have to write out each dynamic/crescendo per channel - even if it's the same - so what you could do is hide the second one. Make sure that if you want different dynamics per layer, click on Expression > Favor Attachment to Active Layer

Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on December 18, 2015, 09:34:54 PM-hairpins?
I'm guessing he wants you to do something like this ' ( < ) ' for a crescendo and likewise for a diminuendo. I personally think it would be easier/better to wrap parenthesis around the words cresc. and dim. Also, the parenthesis for mp in m5 is off. You could just duplicate the dynamic in expressions, then edit it to add parenthesis around it

mikey

unmotivated

Zeila

Here it is

I changed everything else that you missed, and edited a little more myself. I had m5-8 repeat along with the last section, so now it's at 4 measures per system. I also added a D.S. at the end of the piece.

mikey

oh well done
I can't figure out all the finale buttons, I'd need to take a class
unmotivated

DonValentino

Yeah unfortunately for us, Takano loves using that kind of dynamic effect that works very well for strings but is impossible to translate into piano exactly as it is. Either you could leave it as you have it, or another option, honestly better, is to actually make that whole various eighths. That way you can actually do the crescendo and diminuendo while not altering the song itself (in fact, you'd be actually transcribing that effect with a lot more accuracy than just a mere whole).

mikey

unmotivated

Tobbeh99

Quote from: DonValentino on December 19, 2015, 01:50:39 PMYeah unfortunately for us, Takano loves using that kind of dynamic effect that works very well for strings but is impossible to translate into piano exactly as it is. Either you could leave it as you have it, or another option, honestly better, is to actually make that whole various eighths. That way you can actually do the crescendo and diminuendo while not altering the song itself (in fact, you'd be actually transcribing that effect with a lot more accuracy than just a mere whole).

I'd keep the whole notes in the LH but change the RH to 8th's. Also I think you'd be better writing it as regular 8ths rather than tremolo.
Quote from: Dudeman on August 16, 2016, 06:11:42 AM
tfw you get schooled in English grammar by a guy whose first language is not English

10/10 tobbeh

DonValentino

Quote from: Tobbeh99 on December 19, 2015, 02:19:10 PMI'd keep the whole notes in the LH but change the RH to 8th's. Also I think you'd be better writing it as regular 8ths rather than tremolo.

^

mikey

unmotivated

DonValentino

?? lol

Uhh well I meant just maintaining the chords, but sure, that works too! Oops, and you got an extra measure in the process, better remove it.