[NDS] Pokémon Diamond Version & Pokémon Pearl Version - "Canalave City (Day)" (Replacement) by Don V

Started by Zeta, December 11, 2015, 09:20:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeta

Submission Information:

Series: Pokémon
Game: Pokémon Diamond Version & Pokémon Pearl Version
Console: Nintendo DS
Title: Canalave City (Day)
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: Don Valentino

Replacement Information:

Links to Existing Sheet: MUS | MIDI | PDF
Replacement Type: Challenge (new arranger)

[attachment deleted by admin]

[attachment deleted by admin]

DonValentino

Gen IV may be one of the hardest to arrange, but honestly it has lots of interesting and beautiful things among all the instrument madness. DPPt for next AP anyone?

Don't you dare feedback this one unless you're 150% sure! lol xD

Bespinben

150% isn't even my final form!

I'm just going to leave a few general comments, and I'll leave it to you act how you see fit:

• I think you should create more contrast between m. 11-18 and m. 3-9. This would reflect the change instrumentation in the OST. There's a "chill" feeling to m. 11-18, while m. 3-9 are a bit more "bittersweet"
  • I was left a little disappointed at m. 19-21, with all that emotional build-up of the excellently arranged first half of the song fizzling out here. I'm sure you can do more than just a melody and an octave doubled bass.
Quote from: Nebbles on July 04, 2015, 12:05:12 PM
Someone beat Bespinben to making PMD music?! GASP!

MLF for Chatroom Mod next Tuesday

JDMEK5

"Today's goal strongly involves not dying. Because nobody likes to wake up dead."

My Arrangements
Finale Version(s): Finale Notepad 2012, Finale 2012, Finale v26

FireArrow

Quote from: Dudeman on January 23, 2017, 05:35:59 PM
straight from the department of redundancy department

FireArrow

Quote from: Bespinben on December 11, 2015, 12:04:01 PM
  • I think you should create more contrast between m. 11-18 and m. 3-9. This would reflect the change instrumentation in the OST. There's a "chill" feeling to m. 11-18, while m. 3-9 are a bit more "bittersweet"
  • I was left a little disappointed at m. 19-21, with all that emotional build-up of the excellently arranged first half of the song fizzling out here. I'm sure you can do more than just a melody and an octave doubled bass.

I second everything here. I think a great way to do number one would be to simply add in the counter melody, since it changes between the two parts. You could even replace the bass with the other bass if you wanted to go the extra mile ;3.

DonValentino

Quote from: Bespinben on December 11, 2015, 12:04:01 PMI think you should create more contrast between m. 11-18 and m. 3-9. This would reflect the change instrumentation in the OST. There's a "chill" feeling to m. 11-18, while m. 3-9 are a bit more "bittersweet"

Quote from: FireArrow on December 11, 2015, 11:01:05 PMI second everything here. I think a great way to do number one would be to simply add in the counter melody, since it changes between the two parts. You could even replace the bass with the other bass if you wanted to go the extra mile ;3.

Added the counter melody in some other places, but honestly I wouldn't touch it anymore.

Regarding the bass, I don't think changing it would be a good option. Sure, there's that other low low low bass but it doesn't really add anything melody-wise, at least not as much as the piano bass does; aaand the piano is the central instrument of the whole first page after all.

Quote from: Bespinben on December 11, 2015, 12:04:01 PMI was left a little disappointed at m. 19-21, with all that emotional build-up of the excellently arranged first half of the song fizzling out here. I'm sure you can do more than just a melody and an octave doubled bass.

Now I'll show you, Super Don style!

Oh great, look what you've done, Bespin. Now Latios will have an even worse time... MWAHAHAHA! ;3

Latios212

Quote from: DonValentino on December 12, 2015, 07:27:39 AMNow Latios will have an even worse time... MWAHAHAHA! ;3
*squints at second page*
Spoiler
[close]
Oh boy, can't wait to re-master this one! ;D
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Latios212

Whoops double post, this time with actual feedback!

- Thought 1: That insane bass clef part on page 2. Personally I'd cross-staff it to make it more clear exactly which notes to play with each hand, but on second thought my preference of split point may not work for everyone, so purposely leaving it ambiguous for the reader is probably better. Good choice.
- Thought 2: Why no countermelody in measure 10? I feel like the triplet in the measure before should resolve into a.... thingy, similar to the triplet before that.
- Thought 3: Some places (measure 20 in particular) are kind of squished and you have some space left on page 2, so maybe tweak measure distribution a bit (e.g. page 2 could have as systems 19-20, 21-22, 23-24, 25-27, 28-29 or something).
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

mastersuperfan

m18 needs a double bar line at the end.

All these people contributing valuable feedback and I just find the most nitpick thing there is
Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on February 11, 2016, 03:00:36 PMthere's also a huge difference in quality between 2000 songs and 2010 songs
Quote from: Latios212 on February 11, 2016, 03:29:24 PMThe difference between 2000 songs and 2010 songs is 10 songs.

Bespinben

Quote from: mastersuperfan on December 12, 2015, 08:03:18 PMm18 needs a double bar line at the end.

The use of double barlines is rather subjective. That said, I do feel one would be appropriate where you suggested, but not requisite.
Quote from: Nebbles on July 04, 2015, 12:05:12 PM
Someone beat Bespinben to making PMD music?! GASP!

MLF for Chatroom Mod next Tuesday

JDMEK5

I'm pretty sure it's traditionally mandatory to have a double bar line at every key change. I've never seen a published score not have them. And I've been looking for it.
"Today's goal strongly involves not dying. Because nobody likes to wake up dead."

My Arrangements

FireArrow

Aww why? I personally see very little reason not to do something along the lines of this. I only did one line, but when you move the counter melody up an octave it fits rather nicely under the melody, isn't too difficult to play, and doesn't take much too much awkwardness to make it work.

Mus

Quote from: DonValentino on December 12, 2015, 07:27:39 AMAdded the counter melody in some other places, but honestly I wouldn't touch it anymore.

JDMEK5

My Arrangements

FireArrow