Game: Pokémon Super Mystery Dungeon
Console: Nintendo 3DS
Title: Pancham and Shelmet
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: mastersuperfan

[attachment deleted by admin]

mastersuperfan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAvU__8JNDA

Copyright? I have no clue; should I list all the copyrights that are on Bespinben's sheets? InsigTurtle's sheet is different, so... :/
Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on February 11, 2016, 03:00:36 PMthere's also a huge difference in quality between 2000 songs and 2010 songs
Quote from: Latios212 on February 11, 2016, 03:29:24 PMThe difference between 2000 songs and 2010 songs is 10 songs.

Bespinben

Compare the following with your current sheet:

Mastersuperfan's version
[close]

Major differences:

Beaming -- Don't trust Finale's automatic "beam 2 beats together" default. It works for some songs, but this is certainly not one of them. Show each beat invidually.

Swing notation -- The piece is swung all the way through, INCLUDING the introduction. If you listen closely, you can hear that the cut-off points on the notes for m. 2 & m. 4 are actually on swing rhythms. Remember, rests are just as musically valuable as notes. As for m. 1 and m. 3, you can either write "Even" under the straight 8ths, or use duplets. The duplet notation is not widely used, hence why I still wrote "Even" under it, to clarify.

Interpreting orchestration -- Understanding the nature of the instruments used in the OST should factor into how you notate the piano transcription. For example, in m. 1 and m. 3, I wrote the timpani in quarters instead of 8ths. This is because the timpani, once struck, continues to ring afterwards. Writing the passage in 8ths gives the impression that the timpani was struck then immediately dampened manually. Writing the part in this fashion helps contrast m. 1 with m. 2, which uses bass strings and reeds.

Trills -- There are many ways to notate trills, and while the one you used (a trill symbol with a small flat overhead) is indeed one of them, it doesn't reflect the key of the piece. The way you notated it gives the impression one is trilling between Bb and Cb, the latter of which does not make harmonic sense, given we are using the key of C minor. The tone Cb functions the a raised 7th degree (leading tone) of C minor, so therefore should be spelled as B natural. By using my notation, this can be accounted for.

Additional notes:
-- Placements of slurs, dynamics, and articulation
-- Hypermeter
-- (Not included above) Missing harmonies occuring on the off-beats

Also, for the record, the Youtube OSTs for PKMN Super Mystery Dungeon are horribly compressed. I recommend listening to a lossless audio file format so you can hear the music with far richer clarity:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/35209091/PSMD%20.flac/BGM_EVE_CHILDREN_02.dspadpcm.flac
(FLAC files can be opened in Audacity)
Quote from: Nebbles on July 04, 2015, 12:05:12 PM
Someone beat Bespinben to making PMD music?! GASP!

MLF for Chatroom Mod next Tuesday

Latios212

Quote from: mastersuperfan on November 29, 2015, 10:43:34 AMCopyright? I have no clue; should I list all the copyrights that are on Bespinben's sheets? InsigTurtle's sheet is different, so... :/
How about just: "Nintendo, The Pokémon Company, Spike Chunsoft © 2015"?
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Bespinben

Quote from: Bespinben on November 29, 2015, 04:57:42 PMCompare the following with your current sheet:

Get rek't
[close]
Mastersuperfan's version
[close]

Major differences:

Beaming -- Don't trust Finale's automatic "beam 2 beats together" default. It works for some songs, but this is certainly not one of them. Show each beat invidually.

Swing notation -- The piece is swung all the way through, INCLUDING the introduction. If you listen closely, you can hear that the cut-off points on the notes for m. 2 & m. 4 are actually on swing rhythms. Remember, rests are just as musically valuable as notes. As for m. 1 and m. 3, you can either write "Even" under the straight 8ths, or use duplets. The duplet notation is not widely used, hence why I still wrote "Even" under it, to clarify.

Interpreting orchestration -- Understanding the nature of the instruments used in the OST should factor into how you notate the piano transcription. For example, in m. 1 and m. 3, I wrote the timpani in quarters instead of 8ths. This is because the timpani, once struck, continues to ring afterwards. Writing the passage in 8ths gives the impression that the timpani was struck then immediately dampened manually. Writing the part in this fashion helps contrast m. 1 with m. 2, which uses bass strings and reeds.

Trills -- There are many ways to notate trills, and while the one you used (a trill symbol with a small flat overhead) is indeed one of them, it doesn't reflect the key of the piece. The way you notated it gives the impression one is trilling between Bb and Cb, the latter of which does not make harmonic sense, given we are using the key of C minor. The tone Cb functions the a raised 7th degree (leading tone) of C minor, so therefore should be spelled as B natural. By using my notation, this can be accounted for.

Additional notes:
-- Hypermeter

Also, for the record, the Youtube OSTs for PKMN Super Mystery Dungeon are horribly compressed. I recommend listening to a lossless audio file format so you can hear the music with far richer clarity:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/35209091/PSMD%20.flac/BGM_EVE_CHILDREN_02.dspadpcm.flac

This here is why I write the PSMD copyright the way I do:

Latios212

And this is why I suggested the copyright the other way... (literally right above that section of the credits)

Spoiler
[close]
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

mastersuperfan

Quote from: Bespinben on November 29, 2015, 04:57:42 PMMajor differences:

Additional notes:
-- Hypermeter

For the most part, fixed.

About the trill--I had thought about that, but I am completely clueless as to how I go about notating that. Google search has failed me

I initially omitted the off-beat harmonies because they seemed to conflict too much with the right hand, but I'll try adding them in and seeing what comes out.
Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on February 11, 2016, 03:00:36 PMthere's also a huge difference in quality between 2000 songs and 2010 songs
Quote from: Latios212 on February 11, 2016, 03:29:24 PMThe difference between 2000 songs and 2010 songs is 10 songs.

Bespinben

Quote from: mastersuperfan on November 29, 2015, 05:47:33 PMI initially omitted the off-beat harmonies because they seemed to conflict too much with the right hand, but I'll try adding them in and seeing what comes out.
Don't feel obligated to incorporate them. I only mentioned this to confirm if it was your intention to omit them. Besides, your arrangement has to at least be a little different than the one I will eventually make for my YT Channel ;)

mastersuperfan

I've tried for a while and I just can't get that trill notation to work correctly along with the playback; could you explain how to do it?

Bespinben

Oh, it's purely visual. Assuming you have full Finale, the only way to get it to playback right is actually to mute everything, and manually write out everything in an invisible staff. It's not as hard as it sounds, but you just need to know what you're doing. This involves creating a 2nd piano via staff tool and then force-hiding it.

mastersuperfan

After a bit of fiddling around, I think I've got it to work. Man that was really inconvenient maybe Finale should add those trill notations as a feature in the future

Any other comments?

Bespinben

Looking pretty nice! Though a pain, at least Finale does what you want it to do. Not as streamlined as Sibelius, but far more capable.

Zeta