News:

Rest in pepperoni, Mario Mario, 1981 - 2021
He will be missed by all, except for me! WARIO, NUMBER ONE!

Main Menu

[PC] Undertale - "Once Upon A Time" by Petpetfood

Started by Zeta, November 08, 2015, 03:17:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeta

Submission Information:

Series: Other
Game: Undertale
Console: PC
Title: Once Upon A Time
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: Petpetfood

[attachment deleted by admin]

[attachment deleted by admin]

Petpetfood

This is my submission for the wonderful game Undertale

If there are any formatting or quality problems, please let me know

Bespinben

*Key signature is F major (1 flat).

*You don't need a 1st/2nd ending for measures 10-18, because m. 17 is identical to m. 18. Therefore, delete m. 18, and use a standard repeat

*You used two separate layers for m. 10-17(18), but they are pointing in the wrong directions. The upper layer should point upwards, and the lower layer (the sustained whole note) should point downwards (i.e. including ties). You can fix this all manually by hitting "L" on all the offending notes, but Finale will fix this automatically if you use layer 2 for the lower and layer 1 for the upper.

*For measures 10-11, you tied the Bb bass whole notes together. Remember, a piano, unlike a synthesizer, cannot sustain the volume of a note after being struck. Because of this, I recommend you remove the tie and have the Bb in m. 11 strike again.

*Dynamics -- I recommend mezzo-piano for measures 1-9 instead of mezzo-forte, to contrast with the mezzo-forte of measures 10-18. I also recommend you put a new dynamic for m. 19-30 (possibly mezzo-piano).

*For measures 1-9 (and 21-30), those echo notes can be notated more cleanly. I recommend the method developed by Oronoco that involves using miniaturized 2nd layer (grace) notes. This way, you don't have to always be writing "mezzo-forte --> piano" back-to-back.
Spoiler
(Aside: I used this notation in my most recent PMD2 arrangement "Living Spirit")
[close]

Quote from: Nebbles on July 04, 2015, 12:05:12 PM
Someone beat Bespinben to making PMD music?! GASP!

MLF for Chatroom Mod next Tuesday

Petpetfood

I have edited my submission to fix those errors with two exceptions

I changed the melody in measures 1-8 to be simply half notes, since it sounds and looks more appropriate

I left the melody in measures 18-33 as 8th notes since I feel the notation is not simply an echo/reverb as is the case with measures 1-8

Thank you for your feedback

JesterMusician

For that part in 1-8, you can consider using the following notation (see bottom of page):

Spoiler
[close]

FireArrow

The piano can't change the dynamics of a note without re-striking it though?
EDIT: oh, you are restriking it...
Quote from: Dudeman on January 23, 2017, 05:35:59 PM
straight from the department of redundancy department

Bespinben

There are still a number of things needed that are difficult to describe in words. Among these include measure distribution, pedal usage, placement of slurs and phrase markings, and programming clean MIDI playback.

I ask you to studiously compare the following files to your draft. Feel free to replace the links in the
OP with them once you feel you've extracted the information you need to create a more aesthetically sound sheet in the future.

[MIDI] [MUS] [PDF] [MUSX]

Bespinben

Zeta

This submission has been accepted by Bespinben.

~Zeta, your friendly NSM-Bot