News:

NinSheetMusic is 18 years old!

Main Menu

Undertale

Started by Nebbles, October 06, 2015, 08:53:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Olimar12345

Weird attachment or not, killing everything and everyone is like serial killer shit and I bet not everyone wants to be a serial killer. Also genocide considerably harder than the other modes, I'm sure that turns some away. : /
Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

mikey

Oh man now I feel really bad for killing all those moblins in Wind Waker
I'm such an evil person
unmotivated

Olimar12345

Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on February 12, 2016, 09:42:36 AMOh man now I feel really bad for killing all those moblins in Wind Waker
I'm such an evil person

congrats, that's what the point of Undertale is (party)
Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

BrainyLucario

It's kind of like a message to the gaming world. Due to the fact that most games let you kill without consequences.
When given the choice between adulting and music, choose music every time.

Yug_Guy

Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on February 12, 2016, 09:42:36 AMOh man now I feel really bad for killing all those moblins in Wind Waker
I'm such an evil person
The difference between Undertale and Wind Waker (as you mention here) stems from the fact that the mercy functionality in Undertale is a) worked organically into the game mechanics and b) predicated on the player's choice. We've all heard the joke, "Oh, why don't you try and befriend the enemies in [INSERT GAME HERE], instead of going around shooting/fighting them? Don't you know they have lives too?!" The reason we know that this makes no sense is because in most games, being able to not kill anyone is not really an option. The method for beating the game is contingent on your ability to beat up the "bad guys." However, because Undertale works a pacifist play style into the core mechanics, suddenly not killing anyone becomes a viable option, and some people might take that route.

The other big reason is that unlike most other games, isn't quite as "in your face" about it's moral choices. In most other games, most morality systems, you know which options are the "good" options and which are the "bad" options. However, other than a few lines of dialouge in the Ruins, Undertale leaves the choice up to you. It doesn't try to force feed "zOMG, Be SUR tO HuG aLL ur EneMyS" throughout the entire game; the only thing the game does is make you live with the consequences of your actions. That's why the Pacifist ending feels so good: you didn't have to be nice to everyone (killing enemies overall makes the game easier), but you went the extra mile and were able to get the best ending because of it. It's a real achievement. (Which is why when annoying fans tell LP'ers or someone else that they have to get the Pacifist ending, it just completely kills the sense of accomplishment)

This also works in reverse as well: the reason the Genocide run is so feared is because you have to go the extra mile of killing absolutely everyone. There's almost no way of triggering a Genocide run without having had prior knowledge of it, and intending to actually do it. You do it simply because you can. Wow, this turned out longer than I intended...

Olimar12345

Quote from: Yug_Guy on February 12, 2016, 11:20:08 AMThis also works in reverse as well: the reason the Genocide run is so feared is because you have to go the extra mile of killing absolutely everyone. There's almost no way of triggering a Genocide run without having had prior knowledge of it, and intending to actually do it. You do it simply because you can.

Not necessarily. If one is used to grinding in RPG's, they might stick around the Ruins to lvl up and stumble upon it by accident.

Yug_Guy

Quote from: Olimar12345 on February 12, 2016, 11:30:18 AMNot necessarily. If one is used to grinding in RPG's, they might stick around the Ruins to lvl up and stumble upon it by accident.
Maybe, but the chances of killing absolutely everyone, when considering the low encounter rate when there are few enemies left, is very slim. You're not supposed to be able to trigger a Genocide run on a blind playthrough.

Olimar12345

Yeah, that's what I'm saying. Low chance, not no chance d:

Dudeman

FINALLY.

I've been waiting forever for this line of dialogue.
[close]
Quote from: braixen1264 on December 03, 2015, 03:52:29 PMDudeman's facial hair is number 1 in my book

mastersuperfan

Quote from: Dudeman on February 13, 2016, 02:53:14 PM
FINALLY.

I've been waiting forever for this line of dialogue.
[close]

I got that all the time.
Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on February 11, 2016, 03:00:36 PMthere's also a huge difference in quality between 2000 songs and 2010 songs
Quote from: Latios212 on February 11, 2016, 03:29:24 PMThe difference between 2000 songs and 2010 songs is 10 songs.

Oronoco

I was once very disappointed that

"Tra la la.
What's inside an acorn?
It's really just a mystery."

doesn't fit in my personal text.
Quote from: Yellow on October 13, 2015, 05:18:40 PM
...Really though. Don't let them take it away from you. That desire for something more, for adventure... for destiny. Don't let them turn it against you, either.

Olimar12345

@dudeman: yeah, he says that all the time...

Dudeman

I know it's just as random as any other text string, but somehow I never saw it until today. Go figure.

EDIT:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_hi8g7wmLTc
Quote from: braixen1264 on December 03, 2015, 03:52:29 PMDudeman's facial hair is number 1 in my book

Zeila

I decided to play Undertale regardless of my keyboard issues, and I'd have to say that the hardest fight so far was
Spoiler
the one versus Mettaton EX
[close]

I don't think that needed a spoiler, but I put it in one anyways. It didn't take me like 6 hours or anything, but the other ones didn't take as much time. Idk if I just suck or if being able to move and shoot at the same time makes a significant difference. Probably a combination of both ;-;

Yug_Guy

Quote from: Zeila on February 13, 2016, 05:16:41 PMI decided to play Undertale regardless of my keyboard issues, and I'd have to say that the hardest fight so far was
Spoiler
the one versus Mettaton EX
[close]

I don't think that needed a spoiler, but I put it in one anyways. It didn't take me like 6 hours or anything, but the other ones didn't take as much time. Idk if I just suck or if being able to move and shoot at the same time makes a significant difference. Probably a combination of both ;-;
Yeah. Took me a couple times before I was able to beat him as well. He's a pretty tough boss.