News:

Congratulations!! You, yes, YOU, dear user, have been selected for the "You Read This News Item" award! Click here for your prize!!

Main Menu

Undertale

Started by Nebbles, October 06, 2015, 08:53:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikey

Quote from: BrainyLucario on December 15, 2015, 08:32:19 AMThe game remembers your actions, even on completely different plays. This affects the dialogue and even the music. I would recommend you try and go for a pacifist ending first (not killing anyone), for doing the genocide run first may prevent you from getting the true pacifist ending.
pacifist is sooo hard though
unmotivated

Zeila

Isn't there a way to fully reset? If that doesn't work, then maybe this will

Nebbles

Oh yeah you can bypass genocide runs and stuff, but without doing that the game never forgets.
Quote from: Dudeman on April 13, 2016, 04:54:04 PM
- Nebbles, the beauty with the heart of frozen steel

mikey

in all honesty I think undertale is a solidly "meh" game but everyone throwing it around like it's so great when it isn't sickens me, and that's why I need to hate on it.  To balance it out.
unmotivated

Sebastian

Try to keep your "hate" kind.....if that's possible.....because some people do like Undertale.

mikey

unmotivated

mikey

Undertale review(very long)
it's funny, because originally I didn't have anything against undertale but I wasn't interested in playing it.  A friend of mine (who is a big nerd for these kinds of games) was like "man you gotta try this it's greaaaaaaaaaat" and he gifted it to me as a humble bundle (because I don't have steam :o).  And I was like gosh dang it man you know I wasn't interested in playing it but since you gifted it to me, I'll try it.  I'm sure it'll be fun.  I start the game.  I watch the intro.  The music makes me cringe.
 But hey, it was an intro theme, like it's supposed to be bad, right?  So I started the game up, picked the name "Mike" cause I wasn't in the mood for "ShovelKnight" and I fell through a hole.
 The cutscene was actually pretty cool, drawings were well done.  Reminded me of a newer GBC game.  Anyway, after watching the cutscene I entered the ruins.  DUN DUN DUN
 I met a flower named flowey.  He told me about friendliness pellets.  I was like "huh, I don't remember friendliness pellets, maybe this part of the game is different" so I collected the friendliness pellets and felt cheated.
 After toriel intervened I thought, flowey is a pretty well-designed character and toriel took me through the ruins like I was a child.  I guess I technically was, and going through the ruins was pretty enjoyable but when we got to toriel's house and toriel did the thing
 well...
 idk her character just bothered me all of a sudden so when I tried to leave the ruins and she stopped me I couldn't figure out how to not kill her.  So I killed her.  After that, I met sans.  Sans was pretty cool.  I mean, his name is a pun.  It's really clever.
  To be honest, I didn't actually want to leave the ruins, but the game doesn't give you a choice.  So I met sans, and he became my favorite character.  Then I met papyrus.  Who I instantly disliked.  After solving a few puzzles and meeting a few really weird dogs (the dogs were just off-putting, I didn't like them very much) I finally made it to snowdin town, the first place with a soundtrack that really stuck out.  It just matched the sleepy little village aesthetic pretty well.
So I made my way through snowdin town and met papyrus at the end of the village and he started to flirt with me :/
 I was like, "ok, can't kill him, let's do this".  I fought papyrus over
 and over
 and over
 and over
 and kept dying
 and kept resetting
and after I finally beat papyrus my friend told me "oh, if he captures you 3 times he lets you go anyway"
 >.>
 Moving on to the waterfall, I did like the whole thing they had with the echo flowers that was actually a cool part.  At this point, I muted the game because the sound was driving me crazy.  Of course, this was the same part with the piano so I was a little at odds with myself there.  I played the little ditty on the piano and the wall opened up.  Inside was a legendary artifact.  It made me really excited, but then a dog appeared out of nowhere and stole the artifact, which REALLY got me mad.  The dog also left behind some dog residue.  I tried to figure out what it did, but the info bar was no help so I saved at the nearby mouse hole and used it, and it filled up my inventory after doing nothing, so I tossed all copies of dog residue and was mad.
Then my friend warned me about temmie village and said it was imperative that I find it, but that he had never found it.  So I went through the darkened room blindly and found temmie village.  After looking around a bit I decided the place was worthless and couldn't figure out why everyone loved it so much, so I left and continued on.  At this point my favorite character became the scraggy lookalike.  He was kind of awesome.  And then undyne happened.  Dodging the spears was actually kind of fun but when I made it to the save point in front of the tunnel and she went all hardmode on me I started hating undyne :/ as fun as ddr is ddr that kills you isn't fun I died to her so many timesthat I finally just looked up how to beat her on google (a first!  I NEVER look things up)so it took a while, but I finally beat undyne.  I also took lots of long breaks after getting frustrated.  I finally made it through the waterfall area which reminds me of the jolly octopus person, didn't like her, just wished she would go away.  Then I made it to Dr. Alphys' lab-this is where things got stupid.
 METTATON APPEARED
 5 minutes later...
METTATON APPEARED
 10 minutes later...
 METTATON APPEARED
METTATON METTATON METTATON
EVERYWHERE
 SCREW
METTATON
HATE HIM the mettaton battles were the absolute worst part of the game and it completely ruined the experience.  I spent more time on a single mettaton battle than I did on the entire rest of the (non boss battle) game, it was SO impossible.  I continued to the core where I fought very difficult battles and saw a sign that said "The End".  I was very interested in finding an end, but when I went to "The End"it wasn't actually the end- it was just-surprise- ANOTHER BOSS BATTLE.  This time it was the stupid spider lady.  I had to try this one a couple times, and after it ended, IT TURNED OUT IT WAS A MISTAKE.  I don't understand this.  WHY are monsters fighting me when they're "good people"?  LIKE, GOOD PEOPLE DON'T JUST ATTACK A KID IN A BANDAGE.  After finally beating her I made it to the final mettaton battle, where I had to get his ratings up to 10,000.  Well, I got his ratings up to 12,000, and didn't beat him.  I was told to get his ratings to 10,000, which I did.  At that point I gave up with the game because it was so frustrating.
[close]
score(not long)
Overall: 5/10
Music: 2/10
Gameplay: 5/10 early, 1/10 later
Dialogue: 8/10
Characters:1/10
The reason the overall score is higher than the aggregate is because of genocide- it felt very rewarding to cut papyrus' head off.
Final thoughts:  A lot of the characters were forgettable/not very well designed.  The gameplay started off as unique but became tedious and unrewarding as the game went on, to the point where I was playing it simply to finish it.  The game isn't bad, persay, but there were a lot of design choices made that were probably not, strictly speaking, "good".  If toby fox ever makes another game, hopefully he'll keep his mistakes from "Undertale" in mind.
[close]
unmotivated

mastersuperfan

Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on December 15, 2015, 05:16:50 PMThe reason the overall score is higher than the aggregate is because of genocide- it felt very rewarding to cut papyrus' head off.

A lot of the characters were forgettable

* Papyrus. 8 ATK 2 DEF
* Forgettable.
Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on February 11, 2016, 03:00:36 PMthere's also a huge difference in quality between 2000 songs and 2010 songs
Quote from: Latios212 on February 11, 2016, 03:29:24 PMThe difference between 2000 songs and 2010 songs is 10 songs.

Nebbles

* It's apparent the Underground doesn't mean very much to you.
Quote from: Dudeman on April 13, 2016, 04:54:04 PM
- Nebbles, the beauty with the heart of frozen steel

FireArrow

Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on December 15, 2015, 05:16:50 PMcut

tl;dr you're not good at bullet hells

Seriously though, did you forget to use healing items or something, because the game really isn't that difficult.
Quote from: Dudeman on January 23, 2017, 05:35:59 PM
straight from the department of redundancy department

Dudeman

Quote from: FireArrow on December 15, 2015, 10:25:57 PMbecause the game really isn't that difficult.
slight OBJECTION!!
I agree that the healing items are a must, because the game can actually be somewhat hard on Pacifist because you're locked at 20 HP the whole time. Muffet in particular (if you consumed your Spider foods beforehand or never got one) can get frustrating quickly. I suppose the whole point is that you struggled to stay away from conflict, and the reward comes at the very end when everyone helps you win 'n stuff, whereas in Genocide, you get enjoyment out of the battles but if you're paying attention to the story, it leaves you really empty and has your character doing things that you might not do at the end.

Oh and did I read that right that Nocturne decided to reset the game every time he died? ...why? Is it a pride thing? There's literally no penalty for dying. It's even part of the plot.

EDIT: Quick edit just to say: thank you, Nocturne, for finally giving a detailed explanation on your issues with the game. I agreed with some of your points, and while I believe that getting to the end makes the whole experience worth it, I can easily understand why you dislike the game so much. Yay, communication.
Quote from: braixen1264 on December 03, 2015, 03:52:29 PMDudeman's facial hair is number 1 in my book

mikey

Quote from: Dudeman on December 15, 2015, 10:34:06 PMOh and did I read that right that Nocturne decided to reset the game every time he died? ...why? Is it a pride thing? There's literally no penalty for dying. It's even part of the plot.
items brah
I used em all in battles and wanted to get them again
unmotivated

Dudeman

...you keep your items when you die.
Quote from: braixen1264 on December 03, 2015, 03:52:29 PMDudeman's facial hair is number 1 in my book

mikey

unmotivated

Olimar12345

Maybe I should hold off on getting this game...
Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!