The "Fixing the Sheets" Project - Super Mario 64

Started by Latios212, September 19, 2015, 09:11:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Latios212

5 - Super Mario 64 Main Theme - replaced by TheMarioPianist
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

DonValentino

Quote from: Tobbeh99 on September 21, 2015, 05:48:26 AMThe Medley:
I'd write all the arrangers in the beginning like:

Arrangers:
Super Mario 64 Main Theme by DonValentino
Snow Mountain by The Deku trombonist, edited by Mariolegofan
etc.
Compiled by TheMarioPianist

Also check the spacing of things, some dynamics are too low almost on the staff lines.

Measure 91: The "come pizzicato". First of I think it's more common to "quasi pizzicato", secondly and more important, I'm guessing your indicating this on measure 91 but it's a bit obscure since the expression lies in between the systems, so one might though it is connected to measure 95 or 96. put it above the right hand staff I think is more clear.

Sorry, late to the party! lol

Well, I'd say you don't put all the arrangers in the arranger part of the sheet, it's crazy, imagine you have like 50 arrangers. I'd recommend  only leaving the "Compiled by" and writing the arranger name with the track name like this: ""Super Mario 64 Theme" by The Mario Pianist" ("" between the track title).

The "come pizzicato" was my doing, no need to blame him hehe
I wrote "come" and not "quasi" because pizzicato is something inherent to strings that cannot be translated to the piano (well, unless you play its strings directly lol). "Quasi" would imply the actual possibility to play it pizzicato, whereas "come" is just "in the manner of", "imitating" pizzicato.

Tobbeh99

Quote from: DonValentino on January 22, 2016, 03:24:06 AMThe "come pizzicato" was my doing, no need to blame him hehe
I wrote "come" and not "quasi" because pizzicato is something inherent to strings that cannot be translated to the piano (well, unless you play its strings directly lol). "Quasi" would imply the actual possibility to play it pizzicato, whereas "come" is just "in the manner of", "imitating" pizzicato.

ok, I said that because I've seen in some Liszt sheets that he'd written "quasi" for example quasi pizzicato, quasi fagotto etc. so I thought that was the way to go.
Quote from: Dudeman on August 16, 2016, 06:11:42 AM
tfw you get schooled in English grammar by a guy whose first language is not English

10/10 tobbeh

TheMarioPianist

Quote from: DonValentino on January 22, 2016, 03:24:06 AMSorry, late to the party! lol

Well, I'd say you don't put all the arrangers in the arranger part of the sheet, it's crazy, imagine you have like 50 arrangers. I'd recommend  only leaving the "Compiled by" and writing the arranger name with the track name like this: ""Super Mario 64 Theme" by The Mario Pianist" ("" between the track title).

I was thinking of something like that. That would be much nicer than slamming them all at the top. Like you said, that could get out of control pretty fast! Since you guys have updated some of the sheets in the medley, I'll update those accordingly.

Quote from: Latios212 on January 21, 2016, 08:27:11 PM5 - Super Mario 64 Main Theme - replaced by TheMarioPianist

Yay!
"I'm always here to help. Except when I'm not." ~Latios212

"If you're interested in 'balancing' work and pleasure, stop trying to balance them. Instead make your work more pleasurable." ~Donald J. Trump

Transcriber
M-updater
Piano player

DonValentino

Quote from: Tobbeh99 on January 22, 2016, 06:13:55 AMok, I said that because I've seen in some Liszt sheets that he'd written "quasi" for example quasi pizzicato, quasi fagotto etc. so I thought that was the way to go.

Both are ok, just explaining why I wrote it like that xD

Latios212

6 - Slider - replaced by mariolegofan
9 - Dire, Dire Docks - fixed by Latios212, mariolegofan, and TheMarioPianist
16 - Powerful Mario - fixed by mariolegofan
36 - Piranha Plant's Lullaby - Piano - fixed by mariolegofan
24 - Game Start - arranged by mariolegofan

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Latios212

16 - Powerful Mario - fixed by mariolegofan
17 - Metallic Mario - replaced by mariolegofan
22 - Race Fanfare - arranged by JDMEK5
23 - Star Catch Fanfare - arranged by mariolegofan

We're getting there!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

JDMEK5

Lol I just noticed the small text at the beginning of the OP. You guys know that that's not necessary, right? I've said before that I'm happy to contribute. :P
"Today's goal strongly involves not dying. Because nobody likes to wake up dead."

My Arrangements
Finale Version(s): Finale Notepad 2012, Finale 2012, Finale v26

DonValentino

Fixed some chord dispositions, some inaccurate notes here and overall stuff...

Super Mario 64 - "Ultimate Bowser"  MUS

Tobbeh99

Looks great!

measure 28: Here I think the sost. ped. would be really useful. That way you could hold down the D with the pedal and use both hand for the melody.

Also measure 18: I'm guessing the rubato ends here, maybe write something like tempo giusto to tell that it is not rubato anymore.

measures 1-17: Doesn't the melody go: (High)A-D-F-E+G#? That's what I'm hearing.
tfw you get schooled in English grammar by a guy whose first language is not English

10/10 tobbeh

DonValentino

Thanks!

Quote from: Tobbeh99 on January 28, 2016, 02:18:28 PMmeasure 28: Here I think the sost. ped. would be really useful. That way you could hold down the D with the pedal and use both hand for the melody.

I'm not a fan of adding sostenuto marks on my sheets since not all pianos have it, but yeah, I guess this is the perfect spot to include it. lol

Quote from: Tobbeh99 on January 28, 2016, 02:18:28 PMAlso measure 18: I'm guessing the rubato ends here, maybe write something like tempo giusto to tell that it is not rubato anymore.

No guessing! It may seem logical but truth is that the song has some places that aren't really strict in tempo. Take even measure 18, where it starts a little slower and then catches up, or 27, where it does that half a little bit longer and starts 28 a little slower again to catch up later.

So yeah... And all in all in a piece like this rubato is obviously minimum, in entrances and long notes at most, and specially if it is "poco".

Quote from: Tobbeh99 on January 28, 2016, 02:18:28 PMmeasures 1-17: Doesn't the melody go: (High)A-D-F-E+G#? That's what I'm hearing.

I'm pretty sure there's another sound higher than E and G#. Maybe if you lower an octave with some audio editing program you spot it more easily :J

Link updated above.

Sebastian

Nice job, Don!
I don't have time to get far in, but here is some things I noticed on first glance:

Measure 18:
-The right hand G# should be an Ab.
Measure 29:
- Courtesy accidental on the G in the right hand.
Measures 35-40
-Why is the left hand in the second layer?

DonValentino

Thanks!

Quote from: Sebastian on January 29, 2016, 09:44:35 AMMeasure 18:
-The right hand G# should be an Ab.

Nope, just as it is G# in the introduction (D/D), it is G# there again, like mimicking the intro but actually going forward. Besides, the old version had been accidental-checked by Deku a looong time ago and I haven't changed a single accidental in the updating process. I even recall having an Ab and changing it, as well as in tons of other places. d:

Quote from: Sebastian on January 29, 2016, 09:44:35 AMMeasure 29:
- Courtesy accidental on the G in the right hand.

Sure y not

Quote from: Sebastian on January 29, 2016, 09:44:35 AMMeasures 35-40
-Why is the left hand in the second layer?

Tobbeh uses layers 3/4 for entire passages and nobody tells him anything :x I just didn't notice it was in the wrong layer heh, corrected.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/56815186/Super%20Mario%2064%20-%20Ultimate%20Bowser.mus

Sebastian

Quote from: DonValentino on January 29, 2016, 02:47:48 PMNope, just as it is G# in the introduction (D/D), it is G# there again, like mimicking the intro but actually going forward. Besides, the old version had been accidental-checked by Deku a looong time ago and I haven't changed a single accidental in the updating process. I even recall having an Ab and changing it, as well as in tons of other places. d:
Makes perfect sense to me.

Quote from: DonValentino on January 29, 2016, 02:47:48 PMTobbeh uses layers 3/4 for entire passages and nobody tells him anything :x I just didn't notice it was in the wrong layer heh, corrected.
Don't forget 5, 6, 11, 12, & 17.

Tobbeh99

On the topic of layer usage:

when I use layers 3,4 it's ether because:
1)It's one of my older sheets where I had the idea of using layer 2 for LH and layer 3 for RH, later I realized that it was completely pointless so I started using layer 2 instead, only higher layers if I need to.
2) I actually use more layers for playback purpose, to bring out a melody using a layer or something like that.

Also I do not see the importance of making everything in layer 1 or 2 if possible, because it's literally a mus-file thing, so if you print the pdf you wont see any colors. And it doesn't help if people want to edit the sheet or something like that, so I think those measures Seb pointed out can be as they are.

10/10 tobbeh