News:

Congratulations!! You, yes, YOU, dear user, have been selected for the "You Read This News Item" award! Click here for your prize!!

Main Menu

The "Fixing the Sheets" Project - Super Mario 64

Started by Latios212, September 19, 2015, 09:11:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheMarioPianist

A medley doesn't refer to something in the OST as far as I know. I mean, you don't have to list each song in the Smash medleys, do you? I'd be thoroughly disappointed if my medley was cut out though.....
"I'm always here to help. Except when I'm not." ~Latios212

"If you're interested in 'balancing' work and pleasure, stop trying to balance them. Instead make your work more pleasurable." ~Donald J. Trump

Transcriber
M-updater
Piano player

TheMarioPianist

Quote from: Tobbeh99 on September 21, 2015, 05:48:26 AMThe Medley:
I'd write all the arrangers in the beginning like:

Arrangers:
Super Mario 64 Main Theme by DonValentino
Snow Mountain by The Deku trombonist, edited by Mariolegofan
etc.
Compiled by TheMarioPianist

Also check the spacing of things, some dynamics are too low almost on the staff lines.

Measure 91: The "come pizzicato". First of I think it's more common to "quasi pizzicato", secondly and more important, I'm guessing your indicating this on measure 91 but it's a bit obscure since the expression lies in between the systems, so one might though it is connected to measure 95 or 96. put it above the right hand staff I think is more clear.

Ok, in these updated versions, I think I fixed all of these things. And thanks for catching the pizzicato thing. When it came to expressions and stuff, I kinda left them as the original arranger had them. I didn't touch it. Thanks again for catching it. And if anyone has an argument as to why a medley should not be allowed on, try me. I'd love to hear it.

[.mus] [.musx]

"If you're interested in 'balancing' work and pleasure, stop trying to balance them. Instead make your work more pleasurable." ~Donald J. Trump

Transcriber
M-updater
Piano player

Sebastian

Nice! I'll have feedback on this later when I get on my computer.

Tobbeh99

Medley:

- in the last 2 systems you have the measure distribution 5,3. It looks better as 4,4.
- You can fit this on 6 pages if you resize it to 90% and move some measures around. You can resize the pages by using the page layout tool>Resize Pages (Page reduction).
Quote from: Dudeman on August 16, 2016, 06:11:42 AM
tfw you get schooled in English grammar by a guy whose first language is not English

10/10 tobbeh

TheMarioPianist

Quote from: Tobbeh99 on September 24, 2015, 08:21:38 AMMedley:

- in the last 2 systems you have the measure distribution 5,3. It looks better as 4,4.
- You can fit this on 6 pages if you resize it to 90% and move some measures around. You can resize the pages by using the page layout tool>Resize Pages (Page reduction).
Huh, that's weird that it did 5, 3. I set it to 4 measures per system (or so I thought...). Anyway, I'll fix that up as well as resizing the pages once I get home.

Transcriber
M-updater
Piano player

TheMarioPianist

Ok, fixed the measure distribution and got it onto 6 pages. Let me know if anything seems crammed!

[.mus] [.musx]

Oh yea, and if it doesn't do this automatically, make sure Human Playback is off. Should have mentioned that before. I don't know how many people have that on, but the ritardandos will sound weird if it is on.

Transcriber
M-updater
Piano player

FireArrow

I wanna give some critique to the Staff Role, but as evident by the picture on it, I don't think Don intended for it to be a "100% accurate lets put it on the site" arrangement.
Quote from: Dudeman on January 23, 2017, 05:35:59 PM
straight from the department of redundancy department

Latios212

Leave the critique! We did the same thing with Pikachu's Beach for Pokémon, just reverted Don's creative sheet to a normal transcription for the site.
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

FireArrow

I'll keep it brief since he's probably well aware of what needs to be changed:

-The second voice in the first 5 measures is parallel to the melody, I'd personally notate it as octaves.
-The L.H. for the part A section is definitely more full than just single notes, you can even incorporate that guitar-y voice if you want.
-Remove edits to the melody line in the A section.

-R.H. chords in the B sections
-That guitar-y voice is an option here as well

-I'd argue the sustained voice is necessary for the C section.

-The second coming of the A and B section needs to be fleshed out as well.

-Sustained voices in the ending.

TheMarioPianist

Hey FireArrow, can you check the part of the Staff Roll that shows up in my medley and see if it needs any changes? Of course, I probably should just wait until Don's sheet is done before I worry about that...

Transcriber
M-updater
Piano player

TheMarioPianist

For Latios and MLF in particular, but for anyone reviewing the project, I have files here with some possible changes for Dire, Dire Docks. Here's what I did:

-changed time sig to cut time and changed tempo accordingly (drawn from Super Mario Series for piano)
-changed key sig to G major (Same as above)
-added counter melody in measures 1-12 that only plays on repeat
-removed D from each right hand chord on measures 2, 4, 6, 8, 10, and 12 (does not play in original)
-Measure 48: removed extra Bb-G chord from beat 2 (does not appear in original)

Something you may want to examine: After the repeat of the first section (with the counter melody), the bass line gets much more intense. I could help with this once we get into the weekend. I know my Super Mario Series doesn't use repeats efficiently, but they have this as a 4 pager. Yours is currently 2 plus 2 systems. I think to match the original we need to include the section with a more difficult bass line. Once again, I can help if you need it. But not until Saturday at least. For now, let me know what you think of this!

[.mus] [.musx]

Note: If for some reason the second time only notes don't work, try turning off human playback. I haven't had any issues, but I'm just saying that just in case.

Transcriber
M-updater
Piano player

Sebastian

I actually wasn't finished with Dire, Dire Docks yet. I just checked the notes and did some aesthetic work with.
Good points, though. I'll check it out tomorrow

TheMarioPianist

Quote from: mariolegofan on September 24, 2015, 08:21:04 PMI actually wasn't finished with Dire, Dire Docks yet. I just checked the notes and did some aesthetic work with.
Good points, though. I'll check it out tomorrow
I wasn't sure if you were done or not. These are just some ideas. If you need any help, let me know.

Transcriber
M-updater
Piano player

Brawler4Ever

I think that the 3 red notes in measure 6 of Dire, Dire Docks sound better as either A) a downward glissando half note (less likely) or B) two grace notes and a half note (more likely). Not entirely sure which would look better.
Even when everyone else has gone,
I will punch the punching bag until a game comes on. XD

10 years later. Still Brawling!

FireArrow

Quote from: TheMarioPianist on September 24, 2015, 07:04:24 PMHey FireArrow, can you check the part of the Staff Roll that shows up in my medley and see if it needs any changes? Of course, I probably should just wait until Don's sheet is done before I worry about that...

Since it's taken directly out of his sheet I'd just wait for Don.