News:

Rest in pepperoni, Mario Mario, 1981 - 2021
He will be missed by all, except for me! WARIO, NUMBER ONE!

Main Menu

Oasis' Video Game Music Reviews

Started by Oasis, September 12, 2015, 12:35:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oasis

I'm going to do some video game music reviews where I will go to Brawl's extended music playlist and go through a game's music list by list stating how I feel about it. Honestly, music wise, I like Mario's better by a long shot so I'm gonna try Mario music.
Below, I will do it on Super Mario Galaxy 1. Enjoy!
"I set my ATM card's number to "0001" because I'm number one!"
Oasis

A Chance to Grab a Star
A Chance to Grab a Star 2

First thing's first, this music is awesome. Not in the Gusty Garden way where you have instruments going full blast. But this is a quite soothing song, though it does not have a major role in the game. This happens when you beat a boss and a star is waiting for you.
You can see the intro starting out quietly, but it gets louder with each second until 0:05, when the song is at its loudest. (2nd version)
You might be wondering how the two are different. The thing is, they are twins. Twins aren't 100% identical as is these songs. If you have a good ear, you might have caught the actual difference. The first fraction of the second song is skipped by the 1st.
This is not something I would be constantly listening too. I would get bored easily, but it would be perfectly fine to hear for just a couple of seconds.

Highlights: Basically, the music is saying good job defeating the boss and after the intense battle is over. You can calm down. The relaxing vibe would be its highlight.
Lowlights: None. I'm not going to bash on its shortness, although it can get pretty repetitive. If this music was for a Galaxy, I'd hate it, but overall good.

Creativity: 3/10 (Not really creative, it's just 2 instruments playing continuously.
Emotion: 8/10 (It does give the soothing feeling and it congratulates you for defeating the boss in a calm way. Not bad.
Length: 2/10 (Pretty short.)
Relevance: 9/10 (You defeated the boss in an intense fight. It's time to cool off and grab the dang star!

My rating: This would be one of the weakest songs, but there are 2 more that are weaker to me. I would put this at spots 122 and 123.

There are 126 songs I will review.

Oasis

A Tense Moment

Ah, a tense moment. This music plays before a boss fight and as its title states, the music sounds tense, like something is out to get you. The music opens up with a cymbal then the bass and synth pads come in. The synth pad plays five notes then on the fifth note, the piano joins, but only for a short moment. You can see the bass really making an impact on this song as it makes this music feel full.
After that the synth and piano go away as the bass and another instrument which I couldn't make out, takes the stage. The instrument plays a note and fades while the bass still goes strong and the process repeats itself. But, the second time, the synth hits a higher note on its fifth note.

Highlights: The bass. Without the bass, this music would be nothing as the bass closes a few gaps this music lacks.
Lowlights: It could have been stronger. Compared to Galaxy 2, it is not as tense and it might keep you on your guard, but it doesn't really seem threatening.

Creativity:4/10 (Not really creative, except some bass parts. It's just basically a 24 second song.)
Emotion:7/10 (This really draws you in and makes you wonder, what mess have I basically gotten myself into?)
Length:2/10 (This would be a 12 second song, but it plays again with only a change in one note.)
Relevance: 8/10 (It's pretty relevant as its prepping you for the boss fight.)

Overall, I would put this at spot 121. It beats A Chance to Grab a Star by just a little bit because of the bass being incorporated.
Oasis

A Wish

Oh, wow! Look at this masterpiece. Although it is short, the content makes up for it! This would be by far, the saddest Galaxy scene in the entire game! There are some people who have cried because of this moment. You can see how music can help you feel.
You can hear a soft crystal playing at the beginning and a synth joins in at 0:04.  It progressively gets louder and by 0:14, both the instruments are pouring their heart out.  By 0:30 seconds, the music gets a bit louder and when you are at the edge of your seat, it fades. Wow!

Highlights: Every part of the song. You can feel everything going on. You don't need a full band to truly feel.
Lowlights: None!

Creativity: 2/10 (Not creative. Just straight forward.
Emotion: 10/10 (If you actually see the video in which this music plays, you will be touched and you might even shed a few tears. That's how powerful it is.
Length: 4/10 (Not the shortest song there is, but definitely not the longest song.
Relevance: 10/10 (Look at this damn video! Around 15:05. It is sooo sad!!!!! Let it out guys. Let it out.)
Oasis

A-wa-wa-wa!
Oh yeah! Bring it! A wa wa wa, compared to all the other songs is very exciting and groovy! It has a tight bass line that beats a tense moment by a long shot....though it could have been due to A tense moment's not so groovy atmosphere.
This song plays on many occasions, which I won't bother listing. A sick bass line plays throughout the entire music and it makes you wonder if a professional bass player is playing this!
You can hear some drums being played on your left headphone, and a synth also playing. Only those 3 instruments are present throughout the song, but it is indeed catchy! It is worth giving a listen to, maybe it will brighten your day! Who knows!

Highlights: Basically, the face paced music and the groovy bass line is what makes up this masterpiece!
Lowlights: It can get annoying at times and can sometimes make you want to bang your head on the table or pull your hair out!

Creativity: 6/10 (Not really creative, though only because of the bass line, this is quite high.
Emotion: 5/10 (Emotion doesn't necessarily have to be sadness, it can be frustration, happiness, joy, etc, and this suits annoyance well.
Length: 6/10 (It's ok. It's longer than all the songs I've done.)
Relevance: 7/10 (The missions are pretty frustrating and this perfectly plays the mood you are in.

Total Point: 24/40= 60%
Dudeman

Hey, these are really good! Keep it up!
Quote from: braixen1264 on December 03, 2015, 03:52:29 PMDudeman's facial hair is number 1 in my book

Oasis

Aquatic Race

Oh yeaaah! I'm so pumped! You hear this music when you are racing the penguins or are on the manta rays, trying to get to finish line! You can hear a trombone (if my ears don't lie), you hear the drums, you hear the piano, and many more instruments.
This is the music that you can dance to and just have fun with! In the middle of the section, you can hear some distorted sounds and the bass line is also really cool! Wow, the bass is getting a lot of love in these music! You can hear the snare drums and and the hi hat. At some point you can hear clicking sounds which are part of the drums.
I am listening to it while writing this and it is really epic! This would definitely be one of the best songs out there, not including galaxies! It is that awesome!

Highlights: Everything.
Lowlights: None.

Creativity: 9/10 (It is just awesome how they use all the instruments. In the beginning, the instruments are silent, but then a trumpet sounding instruments come in and as the song progresses, the instruments get fuller. The peak would be at 0:29 as you can hear almost all of them.
Emotion: 8/10 (It makes me feel so happy! When I'm having a bad day, I can use this to lighten up my mood. It does it better than A-wa-wa-wa!
Length: 9/10 (It's pretty long. One minute to be exact and it's not even a galaxy!)
Relevance: 8/10 (You're in the water having a grand time! What other music would be playing?)
Personal Thought: 10/10 (Considering this isn't even a galaxy just blows my mind. Who knew a non galaxy music would be so heavily detailed?)

Total Point: 43/50=86.0%(B)
Oasis

@Dudeman: Glad you enjoyed it! Thanks!
mikey

lol I like how you give them school grades
you should give each game a report card to see which one is the best at schoolwork
unmotivated

Oasis

@NocturneofShadow: Thanks! A report card seems very interesting!
SlowPokemon

Any reason you're doing them in alphabetical order rather than the order of the score on the soundtrack album? Just wondering haha. Also these are pretty enjoyable, but ranking tracks individually is pretty difficult. Keep going, I'll keep reading :D
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

Oasis

@Slow: Thank you! I do it in alphabetical because on Brawl's playlist, the songs are in alphabetical order. And yeah, ranking is pretty hard, but quite enjoyable.
And cant for you to read more, ill try to make it as interesting as possible. Thanks!
Oasis

Attack of the Airships

Wow. We go from easy going and lax, to tense again and we see a quality drop of the last song. But, this is a remix of the SMB3's Airship! Nostalgia anyone? The intro got me as you could hear a sharp, loud noise and it puts you in a "Oh my gosh!" mood, but then what comes after really disappoints.
You can hear the drums imitating the (trombone?) and a synth comes in later. It is only 35 seconds and after the first round, you can hear the snare as the trombone is barely hearable now. They don't have a bass also. Although the music gets stronger, it doesn't fulfill my requirements. It is quite bland and boring.

Highlights: Still, it's pretty catchy.
Lowlights:Lack of quality. Heck, even a Tense Moment was better than this.

Creativity: 2/10 (Bland, boring, unfilling.)
Emotion: 3/10 (All I felt was anger that this song was playing)
Length: 2/10 (35 seconds? Psh)
Relevance: 7/10 (It's basically a music before an onslaught. The relevance is pretty accurate.)

Personal Opinion: 12/10 (Just because.)

Total Points: 12/10=120%(A+)
Oasis

The Battlerock Galaxy

Oh yeah! We're finally going to the meat of the game, the galaxies! I'm sure most of you are familiar with the Battlerock Galaxy! I'm not going to into detail about the galaxy itself(go to Mario wikia for that!) but I will get into the music. You can hear the synth and sound effects being played, but only that.
After a while, the snare drum comes into match with the synth. Then another instrument (the main instrument) comes in as a lead and begins guiding the whole song as the sound effects can be heard in the background. After the first lead of instrument, the song repeats, but it gets much much stronger.
After that second repeat, a trombone comes in with other trumpets and trombones. At precisely 01:12, you can hear all the instruments come in and that would be the peak of the whole song. After that, the whole song starts from the beginning, but the snare drum and lead synth is already included. What a masterpiece.

Highlights: I loved the part at 01:12 when you can see all the instruments that are being played perfectly coordinate with each other.
Lowlights: It was a bit dull. I mean, it sounded great, but it seemed a bit depressing.

Creativity: 8/10 (With the mashing of instruments and the SFX being randomly played, you can hear the instruments bonding well with each other. All instruments there, compliment each other well.)
Emotion: 7/10 (It was pretty sad to hear. It sounded like a fortress being totally destroyed and what we see ahead is a wreckage.)
Length: 8.5/10 (01:40. Not bad at all, considering it's a galaxy.)
Relevance: 9/10 (This would be a perfect base/fortress theme. If I had a kingdom, this would probably be my first choice. Although I'd make it a bit happier.)

Personal Opinion: 8.5/10 (I personally liked this. If it had been a bit upbeat, but retained some of its sad aura, it would've been fine for me.)

Total Points: 8.5/10=85%(B)
SlowPokemon

"Attack of the Airships" is a masterful arrangement of the Super Mario Bros. 3 airship music, and "Battlerock Galaxy" is a definite A... Are you listening to a really low quality rip or something? You should at least try to find a rip of the official album...
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.