News:

Rest in pepperoni, Mario Mario, 1981 - 2021
He will be missed by all, except for me! WARIO, NUMBER ONE!

Main Menu

[GBA] Pokémon Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald - "Surf" (Replacement) by Altissimo

Started by Zeta, September 10, 2015, 08:33:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SlowPokemon

I really do think the piece would be better suited by having the arpeggios an octave lower and played by the left hand, since the right is really involved and the left isn't doing much in the current arrangement. Anyone else?
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

Altissimo

I don't disagree, I just don't know the best way to incorporate them. Either we put them starting above the bass and then they're unplayable while still playing the bass, or they start below the bass which I don't think is right since the bass should be the bass. :/

SlowPokemon

You could always try using pedal so that the bass note is sustained while the left hand plays the arpeggios (ex. in measure 1, pedal at the first beat of the left hand, a dotted half D-flat, and use the left hand to play the arpeggio starting at the F directly above that, while the D-flat is sustained). Idk if anyone else would approve of that technique though

Altissimo

Hmm, that could work. I'm not gonna actually change it yet until I get another opinion or two though since it might end up being a hindering fix lol

SlowPokemon

Yeah, I agree. If that technique isn't acceptable, I think the way you've got it is probably ideal.

Latios212

Here

I really don't think we need to overcomplicate things with the slurs. The song is flowy just about everywhere, so putting slurs on every measure is messy and redundant.

On the other hand, staccatos work just fine.

whatcha think
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Altissimo

I already explained my reasoning over Skype earlier, but I think it was also partly a reaction to the sheet being replaced not having any articulations, and me wanting to make up for it. But you are right that it turned out messy - this version is a lot cleaner, and definitely better. Thanks!
Should I edit the OP with the updated files?

FireArrow

Quote from: Latios212 on October 11, 2015, 11:36:55 AMThe song is flowy just about everywhere, so putting slurs on every measure is messy and redundant.

Then she should probably put "with flowing motion" or something for the tempo marker. If someone who's never heard it before tries to sight read, there should be some indication that it should be played as such.
Quote from: Dudeman on January 23, 2017, 05:35:59 PM
straight from the department of redundancy department

Altissimo

Quote from: FireArrow on October 11, 2015, 03:04:50 PMThen she should probably put "with flowing motion" or something for the tempo marker. If someone who's never heard it before tries to sight read, there should be some indication that it should be played as such.

It does have "dolce" already, which is a slight indicator of that. But you're probably right, I'll go add that in and update the OP myself.

edit never mind i forgot notepad is peeling a potato with a fish and you can't actually give more text to a preexisting tempo marking :J I did update the OP with the non-slur-heavy version though, I just couldn't change tempo marking

cashwarrior1

da da da da da duuu, duh duh dut duh duh dut duh duh dut da da da duh duh dut duh duh dut!

~Nostalgia

Altissimo

Aight I had three comments saying I should put the arpeggios in the left hand so I decided to do it. Latios says he likes the original better so I figured I'd let others share their opinions. The originals are in the OP and here are the new ones (with a file name of "Surf Theme lha" for "left-hand arpeggios"):

MIDI / MUS / PDF

Also here is a MUS that TMP made with the layers of the arpeggios swapped, resulting in a volume difference, if it helps any decision making. No point in making a PDF or a MIDI really imo

Latios212

I really do think we should leave it the way it is. The piece sounds more bouncy and floaty with that layer in the RH; with it in the LH the song sounds heavier and emptier.
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle