News:

Are you on Discord? Join our server!

Main Menu

APES

Started by Oasis, September 06, 2015, 03:55:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oasis

So I have a project for my AP Enviro class and I have to choose between taking care of an emperor scorpion, a tarantula, and a snake, preferably a boa constrictor or a king snake. Can I have your personal recommendations, because I narrowed it down to those three. Thanks.

Edit: I plan on demonstrating them in front of class and handing feeding them crickets or mice.
I like the scorpion because it is docile, but a snake and tarantula seems cooler.
But the tarantula is a bit more agressive, so those 3 are tied. And a snake is quite expensive.
"I set my ATM card's number to "0001" because I'm number one!"
Maelstrom

I have no experience whatsoever with any of those three animals as pets, but you might want to skip the tarantula. Sure, it'd be great to show a class, but, if the scorpion is docile, the other two are really much less likely to hurt you.

Oasis

Quote from: Maelstrom on September 06, 2015, 04:11:12 PMI have no experience whatsoever with any of those three animals as pets, but you might want to skip the tarantula. Sure, it'd be great to show a class, but, if the scorpion is docile, the other two are really much less likely to hurt you.
Hello! Thank you for your answer and I would like to apologize for not being clearer.
Those 3 either sting or bite when aggravated. Though a scorpion seems nice, they all hurt like heck. Because of its pincers.
Thank you for your recommendation!
Maelstrom

I didn't think Boas bit that often. :-/

It's just that I've heard quite a few stories of tarantula bites, and few about scorpions, but it's probably just because fewer people have scorpions as pets.
Or fewer kids use scorpions to scare the crap out of their siblings.

Oasis

Lol at the last part. Yeah, if they are treated the wrong way, they can get pretty agressive.
I am at a crossroad of decisions because all 3 all magnificent, but quite agressive choices.
I mean they all are great, but I could only choose 1. Would it be simpler if I list the pro's and con's of each insects?
Dude

I thought this was going to be about primates and I'm severely disappointed

Oasis

Quote from: Dude on September 06, 2015, 05:11:28 PMI thought this was going to be about primates and I'm severely disappointed
Sorry about that misleading title :/
mikey

King snakes are cool, from what I remember they're very chill and don't attack without very good reason
unmotivated

Oasis

Snakes huh? Very interesting indeed. Thanks for that! I will definitely do more research on them!
Ruto

What will you do with the animal after the project? :o

I seem to be missing a piece of my ear.

Oasis

Either keep it and take care of it or throw it away.
But that will be the last, last resort. Returning it to the pet store also works.
Yellow

Here's what my reptilian friend had to say!

"King snakes tend to be bitey, but a ball python, a boa (though boas get huge if it is being kept after the project) or a corn snake would be a much better option. The most docile tarantulas and scorpions are no longer being imported and are not widely captive bred yet so they would not be a good idea as a class pet. I'd go with a ball python tbh"
your arrow creates a fire in my heart like none other
Spoiler
[close]

Oasis

Yellow, thank you and your reptilian friend. I did some research and the ball python seems perfect. And just a correction, it's not a class pet. It's for a quick demonstration in class.
Scorpions and tarantula's are so small and fragile, I'm shying away from them. Especially the fact if they bite me, I might go bye bye! Thanks for that insight!
K-NiGhT

Quote from: Dude on September 06, 2015, 05:11:28 PMI thought this was going to be about primates and I'm severely disappointed
I literally had the same thought
Quote from: K-NiGhT on April 11, 2024, 11:54:48 AMwow, 20 years

*crumbles into dust and blows away in the wind*

braix

Quote from: K-NiGhT on September 07, 2015, 11:15:52 PMI literally had the same thought
Same. Don't like apes, so didn't bother reading the thread until now.
Quote from: MaestroUGC on August 19, 2015, 12:22:27 PMBraixen is a wonderful [insert gender] with beautiful [corresponding gender trait] and is just the darlingest at [stereotypical activity typically associated with said gender] you ever saw.