[NDS] Dragon Quest IX: Sentinels of the Starry Skies - "Verse of Prayer" by K-NiGhT

Started by Zeta, September 02, 2015, 01:26:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeta

Submission Information:

Series: Dragon Quest
Game: Dragon Quest IX: Sentinels of the Starry Skies
Console: Nintendo DS
Title: Verse of Prayer
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: K-NiGhT

[attachment deleted by admin]

K-NiGhT

Before anyone jumps on board with this, I feel I should mention that this arrangement would've probably never been done if TheDekuTrombonist hadn't stepped up and helped me finish it back in the day. I feel a little weird putting it up like this but with him gone I can't just let this sit by and collect dust!

edit:
Quote from: K-NiGhT on April 11, 2024, 11:54:48 AMwow, 20 years

*crumbles into dust and blows away in the wind*

Sebastian

Oh man.....I love his song! I'll give some feedback when I get on my computer.

skiaak

Mariolegofan to become NSM updater team!

K-NiGhT

Quote from: skiaak on September 02, 2015, 08:06:46 AMI thought you werr gone from the forums though? Anyway, nice job!
ehh it's up in the air. I figure I may as well try to get some more of my stuff on site before I really leave.

Sebastian

Anyway, great work!
I have a little feedback:
- Url should be NinSheetMusic instead of ninsheetmusic.
- The title on the second page should not be bold. Just normal.
- In measure 9, the C#'s should be Db's.....(I'm not 100% about this. They should either be Db's or the next measure C's should have courtesy accidentals.)

Other than that, excellent work!

Tobbeh99

They should be Db, decending chromatic passage. Those Bn should be Cb too.
Quote from: Dudeman on August 16, 2016, 06:11:42 AM
tfw you get schooled in English grammar by a guy whose first language is not English

10/10 tobbeh

K-NiGhT

Bespinben

The accidentals are spelled fine as they are K-Night. You did good mah boi.

Quote from: Tobbeh99 on September 02, 2015, 01:33:23 PMThey should be Db, decending chromatic passage. Those Bn should be Cb too.

You're looking at the passage (m. 9) in a "horizontal" manner, when you should look at it more "vertically". C# is the raised 7th of D minor (leading tone of the harmonic minor scale), and B natural is a raised 6th scale degree (derived from the melodic minor scale). This kind of chromatically descending bass is quite common -- it even has its own name, "Lament Bass". Even without knowing that, just testing Db or Cb makes no chordal sense, whereas, with C# or B, you can clearly see how those tones relate to the chord (F#augM7 and G9, respectively).
Quote from: Nebbles on July 04, 2015, 12:05:12 PM
Someone beat Bespinben to making PMD music?! GASP!

MLF for Chatroom Mod next Tuesday

Tobbeh99

^Interesting.

Also noticed that the game developer should be "Level-5" rather than "level 5", very minor thing but still.

tfw you get schooled in English grammar by a guy whose first language is not English

10/10 tobbeh

Tobbeh99

Quote from: Tobbeh99 on September 02, 2015, 05:01:41 PM^Interesting.

Also noticed that the game developer should be "Level-5" rather than "level 5", very minor thing but still.

...or not?

10/10 tobbeh

Sebastian

Quote from: Bespinben on September 02, 2015, 04:52:39 PMThe accidentals are spelled fine as they are K-Night. You did good mah boi.

You're looking at the passage (m. 9) in a "horizontal" manner, when you should look at it more "vertically". C# is the raised 7th of D minor (leading tone of the harmonic minor scale), and B natural is a raised 6th scale degree (derived from the melodic minor scale). This kind of chromatically descending bass is quite common -- it even has its own name, "Lament Bass". Even without knowing that, just testing Db or Cb makes no chordal sense, whereas, with C# or B, you can clearly see how those tones relate to the chord (F#augM7 and G9, respectively).
Very interesting.....thanks for the clarification, Bespinben!

Zeta