[WiiU] New Super Mario Bros. U - "Overworld Theme" by skiaak

Started by Zeta, August 27, 2015, 01:35:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Altissimo

All right, then, my apologies. I was trying to refrain from being super slammy in my post, and I didn't mean for it to come across that way, it just actually did frustrate me the way things happened. Sorry. I can delete it if you like.

(Also I thought I did use constructive criticism by going on to state the specific things MLF changed for the OP's sake???  :o Considering the problem wasn't that he made erroneous changes - except for the one - but the lack of description he used, a list of changes to his modified file wouldn't have ... helped any.)

Sebastian

I was in a hurry to get it done and did miss some things which I easliy could of caught if I looked through it again :/  I can give a more thorough description if you like?
I guess I shouldn't of rushed and should of finished it when I got home.....but it doesn't matter anymore.

Altissimo

I may have been too harsh. Inflammatory part of the post deleted.

That being said, I can't identify all of the changes between MLF's file and the original; I do think it'd be appreciated (by updaters, OP, and other people who compare the files) if MLF or someone else can make a comprehensive list of what has been changed in MLF's file. (Like "accidentals in m. 3, 4, 16" type stuff.)
That's not meant to be a jab - it is legitimately super helpful.

Sebastian

Sebastian

Quote from: Altissimo on August 27, 2015, 03:13:37 PM[Some unnecessary and angry bullshit deleted from here]

Some notes to the OP about the arrangements: First off, here is a .mscz file of it.
Second, despite my nagging in this post, the changes MLF made are, indeed, mostly correct. Well, as far as accidentals and beaming go, anyway. I'll try to explain his changes:
-There's a lot of chromatic movement in this piece. An example is the end of measure 3, and beat 2 of measure 4. Just quick passages where a note moves chromatically to another note. In general, with chromatic passages like these, the best way to notate it is to have descending passages marked by flats, and ascending pages marked with sharps. For instance, MLF changed your chromatic line in m. 7 to be A-Ab-G, instead of the A-G#-Gnat that you had notated. This is a correct change. You kind of want your accidentals to be following in the direction of motion.
-In general (though there are definitely exceptions), the type of accidental used should line up with other accidentals. For instance, in measure 6, you have an Eb and C represented in the right hand against a G# in the left hand. This doesn't really line up with what the chord sounds like, first of all (it's a major chord, albeit not one as often seen in the key of C; by contrast, C-Eb-G# is like some kind of augmented fifth chord that doesn't really "exist"), and second of all, on beat 3, it resolves to a G-major chord. There aren't as many times that you'll see a chord with G# in it "resolving" to something with G-nat as you will here (not without it being like a diminished chord, anyway, which this isn't; it's major -> major) On the other hand, Ab over G# creates the chord Ab-C-Eb, which is a clear-cut major chord, and all three of those notes resolve perfectly and in the same way to the G-B-D triad that follows on beat 3.
-Finally, beaming: In almost any type of music, when it comes to beaming, your goal is to have every single beat (in this case, since it's in 4/4, that's 4 beats) have its start and end clearly defined. Even if it means you have to tie some stuff in a weird way (as MLF did), it's easier to play if you can see where the note crosses into a new beat. I can't really illustrate this very well, but if you compare what you did to the MLF arrangement, I think you'll see that every measure has 4 distinct beats that sometimes have ties connecting them.
Thanks Altissimo for helping with that even though I was a butthead for not doing it myself. I would of but had to leave the second I posted it or I would of wrote a lot more about the arrangement.

And I want to make one thing extremely clear to everyone on NSM, I really wanna help on submissions and truly want to make NSM a better place. I hope everyone can forgive me for what I did. Also, I think I understand everything about arranging very well except 1 thing: Accidentals, the only thing I need help with. So forgive me if I made a mistake in fixing your song regarding accidentals, Skiaak and everyone else that I've helped. I could use some help in understanding them if anyone would like to help me.

I'm sorry again everyone.....I guess I got a little carried away with this song. It's one of my favorite Mario songs. :P

skiaak

Quote from: mariolegofan on August 27, 2015, 02:32:42 PMAnyway, here is the .mus with a few tweaks.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ez6rr6jd8ooni0y/New%20Super%20Mario%20Bros.%20U%20-%20Overworld%20Theme.mus?dl=0

What I did:
-Added a few notes here and there. I also filled in most of the chords.
-Fixed up some accidentals.
-Changed the layout a little bit to make it cleaner.
-Fixed a lot of the note beaming
-And more!

Tell me what you think and if you need a PDF or Midi :)

Thank you very much MLF. I really appreciate your help, and I will analyze your changes closely.

Quote from: Altissimo on August 27, 2015, 03:13:37 PM[Some unnecessary and angry bullshit deleted from here]

Some notes to the OP about the arrangements: First off, here is a .mscz file of it.
Second, despite my nagging in this post, the changes MLF made are, indeed, mostly correct. Well, as far as accidentals and beaming go, anyway. I'll try to explain his changes:
-There's a lot of chromatic movement in this piece. An example is the end of measure 3, and beat 2 of measure 4. Just quick passages where a note moves chromatically to another note. In general, with chromatic passages like these, the best way to notate it is to have descending passages marked by flats, and ascending pages marked with sharps. For instance, MLF changed your chromatic line in m. 7 to be A-Ab-G, instead of the A-G#-Gnat that you had notated. This is a correct change. You kind of want your accidentals to be following in the direction of motion.
-In general (though there are definitely exceptions), the type of accidental used should line up with other accidentals. For instance, in measure 6, you have an Eb and C represented in the right hand against a G# in the left hand. This doesn't really line up with what the chord sounds like, first of all (it's a major chord, albeit not one as often seen in the key of C; by contrast, C-Eb-G# is like some kind of augmented fifth chord that doesn't really "exist"), and second of all, on beat 3, it resolves to a G-major chord. There aren't as many times that you'll see a chord with G# in it "resolving" to something with G-nat as you will here (not without it being like a diminished chord, anyway, which this isn't; it's major -> major) On the other hand, Ab over G# creates the chord Ab-C-Eb, which is a clear-cut major chord, and all three of those notes resolve perfectly and in the same way to the G-B-D triad that follows on beat 3.
-Finally, beaming: In almost any type of music, when it comes to beaming, your goal is to have every single beat (in this case, since it's in 4/4, that's 4 beats) have its start and end clearly defined. Even if it means you have to tie some stuff in a weird way (as MLF did), it's easier to play if you can see where the note crosses into a new beat. I can't really illustrate this very well, but if you compare what you did to the MLF arrangement, I think you'll see that every measure has 4 distinct beats that sometimes have ties connecting them.

Thanks for providing such a detailed analysis. I will look over this carefully.
Mariolegofan to become NSM updater team!

Sebastian

One more thing, Altissimo looked over it under great detail and found a couple other mistakes. Here is the PDF, MUS, and MIDI :)
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ez6rr6jd8ooni0y/New%20Super%20Mario%20Bros.%20U%20-%20Overworld%20Theme.mus?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/lej2pvs42blxrul/New%20Super%20Mario%20Bros.%20U%20-%20Overworld%20Theme.pdf?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/oqxzf9jnae70nhl/New%20Super%20Mario%20Bros.%20U%20-%20Overworld%20Theme.mid?dl=0

We found 2 more accidental mistakes in measure 1 and 3. In measure 3, we changed the chord on beat 4.5 from flats to sharps and I also added a few courtesy accidentals.

skiaak

Thanks a lot, mariolegofan. I really appreciate a lot. I'll edit the files in the OP.

Sebastian

skiaak

skiaak

@ mlf

You should make a tiny correction, just add your name Edited by: Mariolegofan. You helped out a lot on this sheet music, and you deserve some credit!

Sebastian

No, that's ok. I have plenty of sheets and I didn't do that many changes.

skiaak

skiaak

Actually, MLF, I have studied the modified version and have discovered some things I want to edit. Is it possible you could convert your MUS to a MUSICXML or MSCZ file (so I can edit it)?

Sebastian