Game: Mario Kart 8
Console: Wii U
Title: Mario Kart 8
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: holland_oates89

[attachment deleted by admin]

holland_oates89

For reference:

My first submission! This took a lot longer to transcribe than I expected, but I'm glad with how it turned out. It is, in my opinion, very difficult to play, but then again piano isn't my main instrument. In fact, heh I've just moved across the country but my piano didn't, so I had to write this using a guitar and whatever is left of my imagination.

I'd be curious to hear from any advanced piano players out there how difficult this piece really is. I was going for a cross between Jerry Lee Lewis and Jason Robert Brown (ha). I know that it's very playable at about half the speed of the real recording, but I imagine there are a lot of tough leaps. I also didn't include any fingering... I hope that's ok!

Now, on to Cloudtop Cruise...
I work for MakeMusic! Please do ask me for help with Finale! Please don't ask me for special discounts, secret information, or bug fixes.

Disclaimer: The views expressed from me are mine alone and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer!

Tobbeh99

Good job, excellent arrangement being your first submission!

Here's some feedback:

First thing that strike me was that you could fit this arrangement on fewer pages.
Here: you can use this Template and I think you'd be able to fit it on 4 pages.

Concerning the difficulty of the arrangement. I don't think at all it's too difficult, being a decent pianist and having seen way harder arrangements on the site. The rhythm and the coordination seems to be the hardest part, but this arrangement isn't difficult enough that you need to make it easier, it is perfectly fine as it is when it comes to difficulty.

Fingerings: They are optional, add some if you feel like.
Quote from: Dudeman on August 16, 2016, 06:11:42 AM
tfw you get schooled in English grammar by a guy whose first language is not English

10/10 tobbeh

Latios212

Hey, nice job! Looks pretty playable to me. As Tobbeh mentioned, this could definitely fit on fewer pages. You don't have to paste the whole thing in a template; you can just move the staves up. I would recommend getting rid of the cross-staff notation in measures 4-5 because it unnecessarily complicates what could be played by the left hand alone. Some lines in 19-20 would help to indicate the LH moving to and from the top staff

Also make sure the title of the submission matches the title of the sheet. "Arrangement by" will suffice for credits. Nice work!
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

ThatGamer

Incredible first arrangement, far superior to mine! You have a knack for arranging! If I could add one thing, It sounds a bit more jazzy then the original song, don't know what can be done about that though...
Quote from: Altissimo on August 29, 2015, 12:00:16 PM
Since I haven't heard from her personally I don't wanna be like "YO HERE'S THE CHATROOM OK"

holland_oates89

Version 2 Notes:
Thank you to Tobbeh, Latios and ThatGamer for your feedback! I probably should have mentioned that while this is my first submission here, it is definitely not my first piano arrangement, haha! It's actually a huge part of my day-job...
  • Reduced Page Size, Staff Height and Margins to reduce page count to 4.
  • Changed title/arrangement text.
  • Removed cross-staff notation.
  • Added lines in 19-20 to indicate hand position.
  • Removed beaming in 19-20.
  • Changed quartal harmony in 89 - 90 to triads. Except for one part because that's what the Bari is playing.
  • Changed playback device to MIDI, since I'm working on a Mac and most users aren't.
I work for MakeMusic! Please do ask me for help with Finale! Please don't ask me for special discounts, secret information, or bug fixes.

Disclaimer: The views expressed from me are mine alone and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer!

ThatGamer

Quote from: holland_oates89 on August 27, 2015, 10:46:57 AMVersion 2 Notes:
Thank you to Tobbeh, Latios and ThatGamer for your feedback! I probably should have mentioned that while this is my first submission here, it is definitely not my first piano arrangement, haha! It's actually a huge part of my day-job...
  • Reduced Page Size, Staff Height and Margins to reduce page count to 4.
  • Changed title/arrangement text.
  • Removed cross-staff notation.
  • Added lines in 19-20 to indicate hand position.
  • Removed beaming in 19-20.
  • Changed quartal harmony in 89 - 90 to triads. Except for one part because that's what the Bari is playing.
  • Changed playback device to MIDI, since I'm working on a Mac and most users aren't.

You should be an administrator here. You certainly know more about music then half the people here!   ;D

Sounds about good to me, we will have to get an updater to confirm it though! (which I am not unfortunately...)
Since I haven't heard from her personally I don't wanna be like "YO HERE'S THE CHATROOM OK"

mikey

unmotivated

ThatGamer

Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on August 27, 2015, 11:36:18 AM
Spoiler
[close]

Funny, because there are already two...

Anyways, back on topic, I have gotten someone to come, they will be here soon!

holland_oates89

Hey thanks guys!

@ThatGamer: Heh, I'm flattered, but I don't think I have the time to be a very good mod here - I actually mod the Finale forums and it's a lot of work already. Thanks for grabbing an updater for me!

@Nocturne: lol, exactly.

ThatGamer

Ah, yes, that makes sense. So, I suppose you probably don't have time to chat in the threads then...

holland_oates89

On the contrary! I'm just swamped right now. I work on Finale's sister(?) product SmartMusic - which is an educational/practice tool - and with the school season starting we get really tied up each year.

I do plan to help out and give advice with future sheets as well, but I think it'll still take me some time to a) prove myself with my own arrangements lol and b) learn the whole NinSheetMusic process. Fortunately, I basically do nothing outside of work so I'm sure as the school season cools down I'll become much more active!

TheMarioPianist

Quick critique. Imo, the tempo should be raised about 10-15 bpm. Not a lot, but it feels a bit slow to me right now. And in regard to what TG said about it being too jazzy, I think that's just going to have to sound. It is a jazz type tune, and on piano it expresses that a little more. Nice arrangement!
"I'm always here to help. Except when I'm not." ~Latios212

"If you're interested in 'balancing' work and pleasure, stop trying to balance them. Instead make your work more pleasurable." ~Donald J. Trump

Transcriber
M-updater
Piano player

Altissimo

Quote from: TheMarioPianist on August 27, 2015, 08:54:15 PMQuick critique. Imo, the tempo should be raised about 10-15 bpm. Not a lot, but it feels a bit slow to me right now. And in regard to what TG said about it being too jazzy, I think that's just going to have to sound. It is a jazz type tune, and on piano it expresses that a little more. Nice arrangement!

I'm thinking about 135-145 bpm personally. Using this I got a couple different averages on a couple different attempts: 137, 142, and 144.

Also:
Quote from: holland_oates89 on August 27, 2015, 08:27:33 PMOn the contrary! I'm just swamped right now. I work on Finale's sister(?) product SmartMusic - which is an educational/practice tool - and with the school season starting we get really tied up each year.
Well, isn't that a blast from the past. When I was in high school (specifically senior year; 2011-12) we used SmartMusic for my band class. My (now ex-) boyfriend and I used to have a lot of fun with that, playing the excerpts properly but talking or singing in the rests just to see how the teacher would react. My favorite was the one feedback he gave where he yelled at us to go on a real date and not sit around messing with SmartMusic for entertainment.
Then I graduated and had to use SmartMusic for private lessons at college, at which point I promptly enrolled in my high school band teacher's class because I was still allowed to and submitted an assignment. Apparently he still tells his students about the time I submitted an assignment despite not being at the school. Fun times.
(Yes that is all I have to say about SmartMusic is the times I had being a troublemaker with it. It actually is a good program and I took the assignments seriously... you know. When I was actually playing them and not singing in the rests.)

mikey

Quote from: ThatGamer on August 27, 2015, 11:49:29 AMFunny, because there are already two...

Anyways, back on topic, I have gotten someone to come, they will be here soon!
Jamaha is the only admin
unmotivated