News:

Download Finale Notepad 2012 free here!

Main Menu

Chemistry Help Topic

Started by mayastarr041, August 25, 2015, 02:49:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mayastarr041

Quote from: Hero of Trains on August 25, 2015, 05:56:36 PMYeah, another thing, mixtures can also be compounds mixed together, or with solid particles.
Gotcha ;)
Oh and Chapter 2 is hitting me hard. What a curve ball!
Hero of Trains is the BEST! Love you girl!

ThatGamer

Quote from: Hero of Trains on August 25, 2015, 05:56:36 PMYeah, another thing, mixtures can also be compounds mixed together, or with solid particles.

Oh really? Didn't know that...
Quote from: Altissimo on August 29, 2015, 12:00:16 PM
Since I haven't heard from her personally I don't wanna be like "YO HERE'S THE CHATROOM OK"

Hero of Trains

Yeah. For example, with wine, it's alcohol, sugar, water and flavoring things, which are compounds.
Quote from: Dudeman on May 22, 2015, 06:24:42 PM
See guys? Trains isn't nice all the time.
Quote from: also Dudeman
Trains is so nice that I'm sure she'd resurrect herself for a few minutes to compliment you back

ThatGamer

Quote from: Hero of Trains on August 25, 2015, 06:04:25 PMYeah. For example, with wine, it's alcohol, sugar, water and flavoring things, which are compounds.

Lol, this is teaching me a lesson too! Keep going Trains! Cram us with info! Gotta know this stuff before next week when school starts!
Since I haven't heard from her personally I don't wanna be like "YO HERE'S THE CHATROOM OK"

Hero of Trains

What do you want to know about?
Trains is so nice that I'm sure she'd resurrect herself for a few minutes to compliment you back

ThatGamer

Quote from: Hero of Trains on August 25, 2015, 06:13:23 PMWhat do you want to know about?

Ah, anything! I failed science (horribly) in grade 7, 8, and 9, so if I don't pass this year, I might not progress far in life...:'(

mayastarr041

Chapter 2 is where stuff gets too intense for me. It shows me a table of the first 21st elements and it is first pretty easy at the beginning.
Hydrogen's atomic number, mass number, and number of protons, and number of electrons are 1, and it has no neutrons. Protons and electrons balance out because they are positive and negative (just guessing).

The next element is helium and the atomic number and mass number, i really don't give a heck. But the amount of neutrons, protons, and electrons are all 2. So that means protons and electrons balance out. What about the 2 neutrons? What is their purpose?

Lithium is the 3rd atomic number and has 3 protons, 4 neutrons, and 3 electrons. I understand that for each element, there is an equal amount of protons/electrons, but how do the neutrons come into play?

Another thing are isotopes. The web says that isotopes are atoms of the same element that have different masses. SAME element, but DIFFERENT masses. I don't think those words should belong together, at all! It later reinforces my fact, stating that in all three isotopes of hydrogen, the positive charge of the single proton is balanced by the negative charge of the electron, then it goes on to say that most elements consist of mixtures of isotopes and that tin has ten stable isotopes. It gives no reinforcement to how tin has an isotope and how to find it.

Then come what we talked about Trains. Valence electrons. It states that it wants to complete its outer levels by either gaining or losing electrons and says that the outermost energy level are valance electrons. I understand that part.Then it says that if a valence electron is gained, you use the - sign and when it's lost, you use the + sign. Shouldn't it be the other way around? It gives no detail to how many energy levels there are and how it is layed out.

Can someone help me? Sorry if it's too long.

mayastarr041

Quote from: ThatGamer on August 25, 2015, 06:16:54 PMAh, anything! I failed science (horribly) in grade 7, 8, and 9, so if I don't pass this year, I might not progress far in life...:'(
Don't worry! You will pass. Just have the determination and the desire, the burning passion, the fuel to fuel your thirst for knowledge!

ThatGamer

Quote from: mayastarr041 on August 25, 2015, 06:17:46 PMChapter 2 is where stuff gets too intense for me. It shows me a table of the first 21st elements and it is first pretty easy at the beginning.
Hydrogen's atomic number, mass number, and number of protons, and number of electrons are 1, and it has no neutrons. Protons and electrons balance out because they are positive and negative (just guessing).

The next element is helium and the atomic number and mass number, i really don't give a heck. But the amount of neutrons, protons, and electrons are all 2. So that means protons and electrons balance out. What about the 2 neutrons? What is their purpose?

Lithium is the 3rd atomic number and has 3 protons, 4 neutrons, and 3 electrons. I understand that for each element, there is an equal amount of protons/electrons, but how do the neutrons come into play?

Another thing are isotopes. The web says that isotopes are atoms of the same element that have different masses. SAME element, but DIFFERENT masses. I don't think those words should belong together, at all! It later reinforces my fact, stating that in all three isotopes of hydrogen, the positive charge of the single proton is balanced by the negative charge of the electron, then it goes on to say that most elements consist of mixtures of isotopes and that tin has ten stable isotopes. It gives no reinforcement to how tin has an isotope and how to find it.

Then come what we talked about Trains. Valence electrons. It states that it wants to complete its outer levels by either gaining or losing electrons and says that the outermost energy level are valance electrons. I understand that part.Then it says that if a valence electron is gained, you use the - sign and when it's lost, you use the + sign. Shouldn't it be the other way around? It gives no detail to how many energy levels there are and how it is layed out.

Can someone help me? Sorry if it's too long.

I uh, don't even know what you are talking about, are you sure this is grade 9?...seems really hard...

mayastarr041

Quote from: ThatGamer on August 25, 2015, 06:19:24 PMI uh, don't even know what you are talking about, are you sure this is grade 9?...seems really hard...
Exactly my thoughts. I have no idea what grade chemistry is, but I intend to conquer it!  8)

InsigTurtle

Remember that the electron has a negative charge. An atom is neutral and has the same number of protons (+) and electrons (-). When an electron is gained, the total charge will be negative. If an electron is lost, it'll be positive because there are now more protons than electrons.

Hero of Trains

The neutrons are there to balance it out. They don't have any charge, they're neutral, but they help stabilize the atom. Isotopes have different masses because they have different numbers of neutrons. Some isotopes are less stable than others.

The - and + signs for valence electrons are for the whole atom, that's why. If it gains an electron, there are more electrons than protons, and so it's negatively charged, giving the - sign. If it loses one, there are more protons, making it positive.

ThatGamer

Quote from: mayastarr041 on August 25, 2015, 06:18:33 PMDon't worry! You will pass. Just have the determination and the desire, the burning passion, the fuel to fuel your thirst for knowledge!

That way with words though... :D

Quote from: mayastarr041 on August 25, 2015, 06:20:29 PMExactly my thoughts. I have no idea what grade chemistry is, but I intend to conquer it!  8)

Looked it up on Google, apparently, it's grade 9-12, so all four of those grades! High school, and a bit of Junior High!  :)

mayastarr041

Quote from: InsigTurtle on August 25, 2015, 06:32:05 PMRemember that the electron has a negative charge. An atom is neutral and has the same number of protons (+) and electrons (-). When an electron is gained, the total charge will be negative. If an electron is lost, it'll be positive because there are now more protons than electrons.
Oh I see and if proton is gained it's a + and if it's lost, it's a -?

mikey

protons can't be gained or lost, they're part of the nucleus
unmotivated