News:

Iron gates are a thing of the past! Now, you can access your yard with the all-new NinSheetMusic-brand Teleportation Technology!

Main Menu

Chemistry Help Topic

Started by mayastarr041, August 25, 2015, 02:49:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FireArrow

Well, more of a reason to look forward to high school chem I guess. Hopefully you get an awesome teacher like mine.
Quote from: Dudeman on January 23, 2017, 05:35:59 PM
straight from the department of redundancy department

ThatGamer

Well, if you know all this, you'll easily pass school. I don't even know this stuff! This suff is like grade 10!!!  :)
Quote from: Altissimo on August 29, 2015, 12:00:16 PM
Since I haven't heard from her personally I don't wanna be like "YO HERE'S THE CHATROOM OK"

mayastarr041

Quote from: FireArrow on August 25, 2015, 05:08:47 PMWell, more of a reason to look forward to high school chem I guess. Hopefully you get an awesome teacher like mine.
I'm going to homeschool. Learning all by myself without any teachers :)
Hero of Trains is the BEST! Love you girl!

mayastarr041

Quote from: ThatGamer on August 25, 2015, 05:09:57 PMWell, if you know all this, you'll easily pass school. I don't even know this stuff! This suff is like grade 10!!!  :)
Aww thanks!
I'm learning it online, that's why. The web is quite helpful.

ThatGamer

Just like I did for 9 years!  ;)

Too bad I'm done homeschooling this year...I really enjoyed it... :(

Quote from: mayastarr041 on August 25, 2015, 05:11:15 PMAww thanks!
I'm learning it online, that's why. The web is quite helpful.

Hey, maybe if you end up not liking homeschooling, you could try online schooling? Another good way to get education! (though you do get a teacher...)
Since I haven't heard from her personally I don't wanna be like "YO HERE'S THE CHATROOM OK"

mayastarr041

Quote from: ThatGamer on August 25, 2015, 05:13:23 PMJust like I did for 9 years!  ;)

Too bad I'm done homeschooling this year...I really enjoyed it... :(

Hey, maybe if you end up not liking homeschooling, you could try online schooling? Another good way to get education! (though you do get a teacher...)
That's a good idea! I'm sure you enjoyed it very much and I think homeschool will work fine.

mayastarr041

Warning:Unfortunately, I will be posting quite a few questions in a short amount of time.

Alright, so it says write E for elements, C for the compounds, and M for the mixtures. Please tell me if I'm wrong.

Water: I did it as elements because I know that water is Hydrogen and Oxygen and they are both elements, so this is an element.
Wine: Hmmm. This one was tough. What exactly is wine made of? I'm guessing since water and wine are beverages, wine is made of elements, so I choose elements.
Soil: I think it's a mixture because when I touch the soil it feels soft like pancake mix, and that's mixture, so I choose mixture.
Silver: Element because I know silver is in the Periodic Table.
Aluminum oxide: I know aluminum is an element, so I'm going to say element, though there is oxide and I have no idea what that is.
Hydrogen: Element, easy, we talked about this yesterday.
Carbon Dioxide: Element because carbon is an element. No idea what dioxide is though.
Air: The air is an element because of the oxygen.
Hydrochloric acid: Toughie. Hmmmm, I honestly have no idea because of the word acid. I feel like acid is a mixture of elements.
Nitrogen: Element.
Tin: Element.
Potassium Chloride: Again, no idea what the chloride is, but since potassium is an element, element.

ThatGamer

Quote from: mayastarr041 on August 25, 2015, 05:20:45 PMThat's a good idea! I'm sure you enjoyed it very much and I think homeschool will work fine.

I'm sure it will work for you too!  ;D

Hero of Trains

Quote from: mayastarr041 on August 25, 2015, 05:29:43 PMWarning:Unfortunately, I will be posting quite a few questions in a short amount of time.

Alright, so it says write E for elements, C for the compounds, and M for the mixtures. Please tell me if I'm wrong.

Water: I did it as elements because I know that water is Hydrogen and Oxygen and they are both elements, so this is an element.
Wine: Hmmm. This one was tough. What exactly is wine made of? I'm guessing since water and wine are beverages, wine is made of elements, so I choose elements.
Soil: I think it's a mixture because when I touch the soil it feels soft like pancake mix, and that's mixture, so I choose mixture.
Silver: Element because I know silver is in the Periodic Table.
Aluminum oxide: I know aluminum is an element, so I'm going to say element, though there is oxide and I have no idea what that is.
Hydrogen: Element, easy, we talked about this yesterday.
Carbon Dioxide: Element because carbon is an element. No idea what dioxide is though.
Air: The air is an element because of the oxygen.
Hydrochloric acid: Toughie. Hmmmm, I honestly have no idea because of the word acid. I feel like acid is a mixture of elements.
Nitrogen: Element.
Tin: Element.
Potassium Chloride: Again, no idea what the chloride is, but since potassium is an element, element.

For the elements, they mean a pure element. Compounds are combinations of elements that have bonded, so water is a compound. Things like Carbon Dioxide are also compounds, di means two, so it's a carbon and two oxygens bonded.
Quote from: Dudeman on May 22, 2015, 06:24:42 PM
See guys? Trains isn't nice all the time.
Quote from: also Dudeman
Trains is so nice that I'm sure she'd resurrect herself for a few minutes to compliment you back

blueflower999

Water is not an element, it's a compound. Compounds are combinations of more than one element that bond together.
Wine is a mixture. It has alcohol in it, I'm sure it has sugar in it, it probably has plenty of water in it. Mixtures are just that: mixtures of different compounds or elements that don't actually bond, they're just near each other. Like if you took sand and mixed it in with sugar.

Soil is a mixture, yes.
Aluminum Oxide is a compound. It's Aluminum ionically bonded to Oxygen: Al2O3
Hydrogen is an element, yes. Although Hydrogen GAS (H2) is a compound.
Carbon Dioxide is a compound. CO2.
Air is a mixture of gases, most notably Nitrogen and Oxygen, but also some other stuff.
Hydrochloric Acid is a compound. HCl. It's Hydrogen and Chlorine.
Nitrogen, once again, is an element. However, Nitrogen GAS (N2) is a compound.
Tin is an element.
Potassium Chloride is KCl, or Potassium bonded to Chlorine. It's a compound.
Bulbear! Blueflower999

mayastarr041

Thanks guys!

Morale of today: Compounds are two or more elements that are bonded and mixture is 2 or more elements mixed together, but not bonded. Mixtures can also be compounds mixed together, or with solid particles.

Thanks guys! chapter 1 is complete!

ThatGamer

Quote from: mayastarr041 on August 25, 2015, 05:49:43 PMThanks guys!

Morale of today: Compounds are two or more elements that are bonded and mixture is 2 or more elements mixed together, but not bonded.

Thanks guys! chapter 1 is complete!

Congrats, you just passed grade 9 science! Lol

mayastarr041

Quote from: ThatGamer on August 25, 2015, 05:50:33 PMCongrats, you just passed grade 9 science! Lol
YAY!
Though it's only the beginning.

ThatGamer

Quote from: mayastarr041 on August 25, 2015, 05:51:12 PMYAY!
Though it's only the beginning.

Yeah. Though that is an important factor of grade 9, you still need to learn more... ;)

Hero of Trains

Yeah, another thing, mixtures can also be compounds mixed together, or with solid particles.
Quote from: Dudeman on May 22, 2015, 06:24:42 PM
See guys? Trains isn't nice all the time.
Quote from: also Dudeman
Trains is so nice that I'm sure she'd resurrect herself for a few minutes to compliment you back