News:

oh god how did this get here I am not good with computer

Main Menu

Chemistry Help Topic

Started by mayastarr041, August 25, 2015, 02:49:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hero of Trains

Quote from: Dudeman on May 22, 2015, 06:24:42 PM
See guys? Trains isn't nice all the time.
Quote from: also Dudeman
Trains is so nice that I'm sure she'd resurrect herself for a few minutes to compliment you back

mayastarr041

Hero of Trains is the BEST! Love you girl!

Hero of Trains

Trains is so nice that I'm sure she'd resurrect herself for a few minutes to compliment you back

mayastarr041

I made a total fool of myself by replying that. I would've never realized it was Bachelor's for Science.

mayastarr041

So one of the problems was: A piece of sulfur weighs 227 g. When it was submerged in a graduated cylinder containing 50 mL of H20, the level rose to 150 mL. What is the density (g/mL) of the sulfur?

And the density formula is: mass/volume.
It says the sulfur weighs 227 g, so I'm guessing mass is the weight. So 227 divided by it's either 50 mL or 150 mL. I'm guessing the volume is the rising up, 150 mL, so I tried to do the math and I got 1 remainder 77. So the answer is 1.77?

Hero of Trains

Actually, it's volume would be the difference between 150 and 50, so 100 mL. And then you do what you did, and divide it.

mayastarr041

Quote from: Hero of Trains on August 25, 2015, 04:55:55 PMActually, it's volume would be the difference between 150 and 50, so 100 mL. And then you do what you did, and divide it.
Volume: the amount of space that a substance or object occupies, or that is enclosed within a container, especially when great.
Shouldn't it be 50 mL because that's how much it occupied?

Hero of Trains

No, there was 50 mL before. It rose up to 150, so there must have been 100 added. The only thing you added was the sulfur.

FireArrow

Quote from: mayastarr041 on August 25, 2015, 03:13:52 PMGotcha, so I'd call it an ionic bond if let's say Hydrogen donated an electron to....Bromine? It's simple like that? Or maybe Oxygen steals it from Hydrogen and that's Ionic Bonding?

Ionic bonding is only between a metal and nonmetal, which generally forms salts. If it's between a very electronegative nonmetal (wants electrons) paired with a significantly less electronegative nonmetal (doesn't want them that badly) then it's called high ionic character, or a covalent bond that acts like an ionic bond.
Quote from: Dudeman on January 23, 2017, 05:35:59 PM
straight from the department of redundancy department

blueflower999

Fire, Hydrogen can Ionically bond I believe. Other than that you're right.

More to come when I get home.
Bulbear! Blueflower999

mayastarr041

Oh I see. So you take what you added, which is 100, then it gets divided by 227?
Thank you!

Hero of Trains

No, the other way around, 227/100. Because the formula is mass/volume.

FireArrow

Quote from: blueflower999 on August 25, 2015, 05:03:43 PMFire, Hydrogen can Ionically bond I believe. Other than that you're right.

More to come when I get home.

Huh, wasn't it recently discovered that hydrogen can become a metal under certain conditions as well?
Quote from: Dudeman on January 23, 2017, 05:35:59 PM
straight from the department of redundancy department

mayastarr041

Quote from: Hero of Trains on August 25, 2015, 05:05:05 PMNo, the other way around, 227/100. Because the formula is mass/volume.
Ohh, I see thank you Trains!
Just learned something new! Feeling very proud!

mayastarr041

Quote from: FireArrow on August 25, 2015, 05:01:45 PMIonic bonding is only between a metal and nonmetal, which generally forms salts. If it's between a very electronegative nonmetal (wants electrons) paired with a significantly less electronegative nonmetal (doesn't want them that badly) then it's called high ionic character, or a covalent bond that acts like an ionic bond.
Thanks fire, but the ionic/covalent is way out of my league so I'm sticking to the basics first.