News:

It's not Opposite Day.

Main Menu

Chemistry Help Topic

Started by mayastarr041, August 25, 2015, 02:49:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mayastarr041

Quote from: TheMarioPianist on August 25, 2015, 08:24:10 PMReally. Again? Come on! I wouldn't ask someone to do what I asked her if they weren't gonna put their best effort into it. Relax. It will be done in a reasonable time period. How many stories on this site have put out a new chapter every day? How many stories are going to be as long and as eloquent as this one? How many stories have been written as a collaborative group effort to create the best tale told? How many stories have had art? (The only story to do something as creative as what we are doing is Maya's SMG one. That music idea was truly unique, Maya! I loved that!) You were the one who once told me I should publish this. At least give me the respect of an author on the precipice of publishing.
Aww thank you mariopianist ;)
Glad you liked it!
Hero of Trains is the BEST! Love you girl!

ThatGamer

Quote from: TheMarioPianist on August 25, 2015, 08:24:10 PMReally. Again? Come on! I wouldn't ask someone to do what I asked her if they weren't gonna put their best effort into it. Relax. It will be done in a reasonable time period. How many stories on this site have put out a new chapter every day? How many stories are going to be as long and as eloquent as this one? How many stories have been written as a collaborative group effort to create the best tale told? How many stories have had art? (The only story to do something as creative as what we are doing is Maya's SMG one. That music idea was truly unique, Maya! I loved that!) You were the one who once told me I should publish this. At least give me the respect of an author on the precipice of publishing.

Okay I'll try not to push it...I just can't handle my excitement...it comes with PDD-NOS, sorry.
Quote from: Altissimo on August 29, 2015, 12:00:16 PM
Since I haven't heard from her personally I don't wanna be like "YO HERE'S THE CHATROOM OK"

mayastarr041

When electrons jump to lower or higher levels what exactly is taking place? I know there are layers, but do the electrons jump from place to place when a reaction is happening or do they jump every second?

And it talks about spectrum wavelengths. The colors are red, orange, yellow, green, blue and violet. The thing is wavelength and frequency are shown to be opposites. I thought they were identical because the brighter the colors are, the more frequent they are (frequency) and the more frequent they are, they would stretch longer (wavelength).

Are UV lights invisible to the naked eye? What exactly is a naked eye?

I've heard the word quantum a lot. What exactly is it? Like quantum mechanics, quantum numbers, etc.

Out of Lithium, Chlorine, potassium, and fluorine, what gives up electrons readily?
I thought it would be fluorine because it had more electronegativity, therefore bears less resistance. Is this correct?

And the number of orbitals in the second principal energy level, n=2, of an atom is:
1, 9, 16, 4.
I chose 4 because the second energy level has an s orbital and 3 pm orbitals, so I added them. correct?

Sorry if this was too much, but I warned you!

mikey

something about the top left of the table being most ready to give up electrons and the bottom right being least likely?
unmotivated

blueflower999

Quote from: mayastarr041 on August 25, 2015, 09:18:51 PMWhen electrons jump to lower or higher levels what exactly is taking place? I know there are layers, but do the electrons jump from place to place when a reaction is happening or do they jump every second?

And it talks about spectrum wavelengths. The colors are red, orange, yellow, green, blue and violet. The thing is wavelength and frequency are shown to be opposites. I thought they were identical because the brighter the colors are, the more frequent they are (frequency) and the more frequent they are, they would stretch longer (wavelength).

Are UV lights invisible to the naked eye? What exactly is a naked eye?

I've heard the word quantum a lot. What exactly is it? Like quantum mechanics, quantum numbers, etc.

Out of Lithium, Chlorine, potassium, and fluorine, what gives up electrons readily?
I thought it would be fluorine because it had more electronegativity, therefore bears less resistance. Is this correct?

And the number of orbitals in the second principal energy level, n=2, of an atom is:
1, 9, 16, 4.
I chose 4 because the second energy level has an s orbital and 3 pm orbitals, so I added them. correct?

Sorry if this was too much, but I warned you!
Electron behavior isn't really my area of specialty, but from what I understand, when they're struck by certain forms of electromagnetic radiation, they get excited and jump up levels, and then fall back down and release light and energy.

Frequency is related to how often a wave goes by. Wavelength is the distance between crests of the wave. The two are related through an equation called the Wave Equation but that's physics and I don't really want to go into that here.

Quantum mostly refers to things on the subatomic level. Like Quantum Physics is the study of how subatomic particles behave.

UV Light is essentially the same thing as light, but the human eye can't pick it up. It's also dangerous and can give you sunburn, as well as cancer and some other nasty things. A naked eye just means looking at something without a microscope or binoculars or whatever.

Potassium will give up an electron the most easily. Then Lithium. Fluorine and Chlorine don't want to give up one easily because they want to take in one. Electronegative means they're pulling in the electrons closely, so you're thinking of it backwards.
Bulbear! Blueflower999

blueflower999

Sorry for double posting but I wanted to tell a brief story about how chemistry almost killed me today.

Remember that really nasty element Bromine that we were talking about earlier? The one you don't want in your cookies?

Well, I actually had to work with it today. Essentially I had to transfer about a milliliter of it into a flask to react, so I needed a syringe and a needle. When I took the cap off the needle, I accidentally cut myself and bled a bit. If I accidentally cut myself a minute later, I would have put a whole lot of super-reactive Bromine into my bloodstream and would probably be in the emergency room right now.

Lesson: Don't do Halogens, kids.
Bulbear! Blueflower999

TheMarioPianist

Quote from: blueflower999 on August 26, 2015, 05:36:56 PMLesson: Don't do Halogens, kids.

Wow. I think the worst chemical we ever had to work with in Honors Chem was 6.0M HCl  ;D. Seriously though, that could have been really bad. Just be grateful that it didn't happen and be careful that something like that doesn't happen again! :)
"I'm always here to help. Except when I'm not." ~Latios212

"If you're interested in 'balancing' work and pleasure, stop trying to balance them. Instead make your work more pleasurable." ~Donald J. Trump

Transcriber
M-updater
Piano player

blueflower999

Yeah I've actually gotten some HCl on me before and it's bad but not Bromine bad. After a little water I was fine because it wasn't very much XD
Bulbear! Blueflower999

mayastarr041

Quote from: blueflower999 on August 26, 2015, 05:43:12 PMYeah I've actually gotten some HCl on me before and it's bad but not Bromine bad. After a little water I was fine because it wasn't very much XD
Thank God you're alive! Oh man, please, take care of yourself!

TheMarioPianist

Quote from: mayastarr041 on August 26, 2015, 05:47:20 PMThank God you're alive! Oh man, please, take care of yourself!

This is probably a good idea...because you're right, HCl is nothing like Bromine...
"I'm always here to help. Except when I'm not." ~Latios212

"If you're interested in 'balancing' work and pleasure, stop trying to balance them. Instead make your work more pleasurable." ~Donald J. Trump

Transcriber
M-updater
Piano player

mayastarr041

Hero of Trains

I knocked a cup of water onto some potassium once. Luckily, there wasn't much left after the reaction I had done previously, but still. Nasty.
Quote from: Dudeman on May 22, 2015, 06:24:42 PM
See guys? Trains isn't nice all the time.
Quote from: also Dudeman
Trains is so nice that I'm sure she'd resurrect herself for a few minutes to compliment you back

blueflower999

Quote from: Hero of Trains on August 26, 2015, 06:07:04 PMI knocked a cup of water onto some potassium once. Luckily, there wasn't much left after the reaction I had done previously, but still. Nasty.
Did it burn purple???

Quote from: mayastarr041 on August 26, 2015, 05:51:52 PMWhat's the difference?
Bromine is significantly more reactive and can kill you a lot easier. Also, it fumes, so it's not safe to have around. You can have an open bottle of Hydrochloric Acid lying around and it'll be fine, but if you leave an open bottle of Bromine on your bench you'll be in trouble lol.
Bulbear! Blueflower999

mikey

I've put magnesium in zinc _____ before
VOILA!  ZINC!
unmotivated

Hero of Trains

Quote from: blueflower999 on August 26, 2015, 06:31:10 PMDid it burn purple???

I wasn't really in a position to observe, as I was kind of trying to not die. But it was pretty violent, I can tell you that much.
Quote from: Dudeman on May 22, 2015, 06:24:42 PM
See guys? Trains isn't nice all the time.
Quote from: also Dudeman
Trains is so nice that I'm sure she'd resurrect herself for a few minutes to compliment you back