[NDS] Pokémon Diamond/Pearl/Platinum - "Route 209 (Day)" (Replacement) by TheMarioPianist

Started by Zeta, August 22, 2015, 07:17:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Latios212

About 12-18, lemme get back to you after I do some more testing (when I'm feeling better bleh)
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

TheMarioPianist

Quote from: Latios212 on September 05, 2015, 07:39:47 PMAbout 12-18, lemme get back to you after I do some more testing (when I'm feeling better bleh)

Sure thing! Get better! (quickly!)
"I'm always here to help. Except when I'm not." ~Latios212

"If you're interested in 'balancing' work and pleasure, stop trying to balance them. Instead make your work more pleasurable." ~Donald J. Trump

Transcriber
M-updater
Piano player

FireArrow

Quote from: TheMarioPianist on September 05, 2015, 07:31:43 PMMeasures 19-26: What part is the counter melody? That low pitched thing between the bass and the melody? Because I'm barely picking that up even with slowing down the audio.

There's four voices in that section. Melody and bass, which you have. Then you have a piano playing on the 3rd beat of every measure and a half note counter melody starting on beat 3 of measure 19. I can hear all 4 of them just find without modifications, but maybe that's because I listen to too much bach. Nonetheless it fills out that section nicely so I don't see a reason not to add it, I can do it for you if you want (I already transcribed it so yeah.)

QuoteMeasures 27-29: Added the arpeggios. I think I got their notes right (weren't quite C#-E-A). I couldn't tell if maybe those arpeggios started at the beginning of the measure; if they did, I couldn't hear them. Now, those chords on beat 1 do not have an A in them. The melody ones, anyway. There is some high-pitched string ensemble thing that plays chords with only A's, but I think sticking to the main melody is more important.

Yeah you've got it right, it's only 3 notes starting halfway to beat 3. I'm absolutely certain they're C#-E-A (an octave up from middle C) only being uncertain about the e, maybe we can get a 3rd person to double check? Yes, the A's are being played by high pitched strings, but they're part of the harmonic make-up and those chords sound rather lacking otherwise (Yeah, I'd put the A on the bottom so as to not interfere with the melody.)

Edit: Oh and that e in measure 23 is an octave lower.
Quote from: Dudeman on January 23, 2017, 05:35:59 PM
straight from the department of redundancy department

TheMarioPianist

Quote from: FireArrow on September 05, 2015, 09:28:41 PMThere's four voices in that section. Melody and bass, which you have. Then you have a piano playing on the 3rd beat of every measure and a half note counter melody starting on beat 3 of measure 19. I can hear all 4 of them just find without modifications, but maybe that's because I listen to too much bach. Nonetheless it fills out that section nicely so I don't see a reason not to add it, I can do it for you if you want (I already transcribed it so yeah.)
Well heck, if you went through the work of transcribing it, I won't just throw your work in the dust. Pretty soon I might have to add your name to the arranger list. ;D

Quote from: FireArrow on September 05, 2015, 09:28:41 PMYeah you've got it right, it's only 3 notes starting halfway to beat 3. I'm absolutely certain they're C#-E-A (an octave up from middle C) only being uncertain about the e, maybe we can get a 3rd person to double check? Yes, the A's are being played by high pitched strings, but they're part of the harmonic make-up and those chords sound rather lacking otherwise (Yeah, I'd put the A on the bottom so as to not interfere with the melody.)

Edit: Oh and that e in measure 23 is an octave lower.
On the arpeggios (you are talking about the piano ones right?), even if one of them were C#-E-A, they couldn't all be that, because the chords change each time through. I mean, my perfect pitch is definitely telling me that what I have is right (aside from me bringing them down an octave to increase playability), but maybe it is best to bring in a neutral third party.
Ok, putting the A's at the bottom of the chords makes sense, and they sound a lot better, I agree. I'll wait for your response on the other things before I update the stuff.

"If you're interested in 'balancing' work and pleasure, stop trying to balance them. Instead make your work more pleasurable." ~Donald J. Trump

Transcriber
M-updater
Piano player

FireArrow

Quote from: TheMarioPianist on September 05, 2015, 09:43:12 PMWell heck, if you went through the work of transcribing it, I won't just throw your work in the dust. Pretty soon I might have to add your name to the arranger list. ;D

Aww, but that's exactly why my name isn't on the arrangers list! It's your arrangement, so nay anything suggestions you don't like - I'll (try) not to argue (too much.)

Anywho, here ya go. Use it as you will.

QuoteOn the arpeggios (you are talking about the piano ones right?), even if one of them were C#-E-A, they couldn't all be that, because the chords change each time through. I mean, my perfect pitch is definitely telling me that what I have is right (aside from me bringing them down an octave to increase playability), but maybe it is best to bring in a neutral third party.
Ok, putting the A's at the bottom of the chords makes sense, and they sound a lot better, I agree. I'll wait for your response on the other things before I update the stuff.

Oh, you're right about the arpeggios. When I was testing out your voice I was playing it an octave too low, when I moved it up it sounded spot on.

Perfect pitch: 1 Relative Pitch: 0

TheMarioPianist

Transcriber
M-updater
Piano player

TheMarioPianist

Ok, updated just the .mus again! Thanks so much for your help; I really appreciate it! :)

And I'd love to learn how to do the fancy download link; I could tell that's what you were going for...it would be nice if I knew how...

Transcriber
M-updater
Piano player

TheMarioPianist

Anyways, are there any other areas of the song where the counter melody can be implemented, or where I am missing one of the parts? (I'm kind of prone to leaving out parts and then being too lazy to go back and put them in...)

Transcriber
M-updater
Piano player

FireArrow

My file didn't add the A's or lower the E in measure 23, you'll have to do those on your own. :3

TheMarioPianist

Quote from: FireArrow on September 07, 2015, 12:13:41 PMMy file didn't add the A's or lower the E in measure 23, you'll have to do those on your own. :3
Duh, silly me. I knew I forgot to do something...nice catch!

Transcriber
M-updater
Piano player

FireArrow

Eh, there is a pretty mobile counter melody you can add starting from measure 35, but it's really hard to hear. There's a few more voices here and there as well, but they don't really do too much. I'd say all of it is optional stuff you can look into, but I think your arrangement is fine now besides a few things such as slurs and notes clashing with each other (like the slur in measure 8.) That stuff is probably my fault though ;3

EDIT: The measure long slurs are kinda redundant since that's what a measure implies anyways. I'd wait for an updater to weigh in on this though, I don't want to tell you to remove them to have olimar or bespinben to come in and go "blahblahblahmusicthoeryblah add the slurs back."

TheMarioPianist

Quote from: FireArrow on September 07, 2015, 01:35:26 PMEh, there is a pretty mobile counter melody you can add starting from measure 35, but it's really hard to hear. There's a few more voices here and there as well, but they don't really do too much. I'd say all of it is optional stuff you can look into, but I think your arrangement is fine now besides a few things such as slurs and notes clashing with each other (like the slur in measure 8.) That stuff is probably my fault though ;3

EDIT: The measure long slurs are kinda redundant since that's what a measure implies anyways. I'd wait for an updater to weigh in on this though, I don't want to tell you to remove them to have olimar or bespinben to come in and go "blahblahblahmusicthoeryblah add the slurs back."

Ok, I'll look into those other voices and see what I can do. I'll get rid of the measure long slurs in the RH, and I'll assume those are the ones you are referring to. The left hand ones I can't get rid of, though (obviously).

Transcriber
M-updater
Piano player

TheMarioPianist

Ok, I updated all 4 files! I played with the counter melodies a bit. Like you said, they don't add much, so I didn't keep them. Everything else should be fixed. Let me know if you spot anything else!

Transcriber
M-updater
Piano player

FireArrow